Sponsored by:

991 Cabriolet damp rear carpet & front seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 11:43 AM
iota
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 991 Cabriolet damp rear carpet & front seatbelts

My 991 GTS cabriolet has had a slight mildewy smell inside when the top is left up, and after being parked outside in the rain (with the top up) recently I think I've found the cause of the smell - the rear carpets, by the B pillar, are damp as are the front seatbelts.

I've checked all 4 of the drains listed here and they are clear and water runs right through, and there doesn't seem to be any signs of moisture in the rear hatch felt. However, with the top halfway down, the inside of the B pillar smells mildewy.

I can see that there is a gutter that points downhill into the B-pillar where the convertible top mechanism is stored when folded, but don't see a drain anywhere (it's quite hard to see into the B pillar with all the top mechanicals in there).

Is there a drain in the B-pillar that needs to be cleared? I've poked through the service manual's "stopper plan" but don't see anything that obviously stands out in that area.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:03 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

AC drain clogged?
Old 02-28-2022, 10:04 AM
iota
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tpup
AC drain clogged?
Maybe, but the moist floor after rains made me think that it was something with the way the convertible top drains. Where's the AC drain at so I can check it, any idea?
Old 02-28-2022, 10:37 AM
Dieter2
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting, I just saw a post on another social site today where rear on 991 cab GTS had moist carpets in rear and electronics, Bose amp and parking sensors got all messed up from clogged drain. One other guy said he had it too and it cost him $2k to replace the damaged electrical stuff in rear. Probably best to keep dry until you figure out drains, etc.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:40 AM
iota
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dieter2
Interesting, I just saw a post on another social site today where rear on 991 cab GTS had moist carpets in rear and electronics, Bose amp and parking sensors got all messed up from clogged drain. One other guy said he had it too and it cost him $2k to replace the damaged electrical stuff in rear. Probably best to keep dry until you figure out drains, etc.
yeah its normally garaged but the last 2 weeks the garage has been getting epoxy floors, new drywall & paint and has had to park outside (which happens to have been a very rainy couple weeks). The fact that the car had a mild unusual smell since I got it (used) tells me that theres some mildew somewhere.

Was hoping that someone might have an idea on other drains to check other than the 2 per side for the middle and rear of the convertible top, but I may just need to get the carpet out and pour water on the top and watch what happens

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet damp rear carpet & front seatbelts