Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Cab Water Drain Locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019 | 12:41 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Default 991 Cab Water Drain Locations

I've been enjoying and trying to learn from the P Tech YouTube channel and noticed him cleaning out the sunroof drains on a few vehicles. From what I've read regarding the older models, this is one of those situations where "it isn't a big deal, until it is" and it clogs and you get water/ electrical damage in the car. There are a few threads on this for older models. Having never done that and living in the sunny Pacific Northwest /s, I thought it was probably a good idea that I learn how to do it.

There was zero information on RL, so I decided to do some digging last night. Sorry for the potato pics, it was dark.

In the 997, the front drain is on either side of the battery in the frunk. For some reason, the new and improved design in the 991 is directly under the battery. I got a small tube and poured some water down it it, luckily it drained so no need to dig around there. Sorry forgot to take a pic.

As for the rear, I found at least 4 drains. With the top in the service position, there's a big channel, and about 5 inches behind the small side/rear windows is the first drain (one on both sides).

These drains exit the car behind the rear wheel well liner towards the front of the car.If you keep up on cleaning, it will likely save you a bunch of time having to remove the wheel and wheel liner to clean out the base of this drain, but would recommend it if you already have the wheel off. This seemed to be a problem area on the older models.

Follow the channel about a foot and a half back and there's a visible hydraulic arm. Under the arm is some felt lined covering. Lift that up and there's another drain (again on both sides).

These rear drains exit from a rubber piece at the rear wheel's 1 o'clock position (below). The side muffler is directly behind it. I had some small gravel and chunks of melted rubber partially clogging mine so took a mini flat head screwdriver and cleaned it out.

Going forward, I'm going to vacuum around these drains, and then blow some compressed air from the top. Pour water down them, and if they drain, then no further action required. If they are clogged, then maybe fish some weed eater line down there.

Hope this little PM tip helps!
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019 | 02:36 PM
shake1
Racer

I saw this on the P Tech youtube page as well on an older car. I wanted to get more details on this on the 991 + the seal / sunroof lubrication I saw him do in a video. Seems like good preventative maintenance that I could easily do on my own.
Old 10-24-2019 | 06:35 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by shake1
I saw this on the P Tech youtube page as well on an older car. I wanted to get more details on this on the 991 + the seal / sunroof lubrication I saw him do in a video. Seems like good preventative maintenance that I could easily do on my own.
Yup easy peasy, especially if you do it routinely before you get clogs and have to fish something through the drains.

I've been using this on all the rubber seals, helps condition, but also reduce squeaks:
Old 10-24-2019 | 07:03 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

I have a 2016.1 Cab and have never seen any drains.
Old 10-25-2019 | 08:46 AM
bermudablue
1st Gear

I have a targa that water is leaking into the footwell passenger side, it has got into the electrics which is not good news, the garage say the door seal is at fault, the car has done 7 ,000 miles and been lightly used. has anyone the same issue.

Quick Reply: 991 Cab Water Drain Locations