Sponsored by:

Best 991.2 platform to tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 12:06 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I'd take a slightly different approach. Look at the rest of the "features" of the car - sometimes you're going to be more interested in whether the car has 18 way seats and sound system and sun/moon roof, 7MT vs PDK, SPASM vs PASM, RAS vs not RAS, and so on vs whether it is a T or S or GTS. For the requisite amount of money, *any* of them can be tuned and turned into a monster. If you really want to, you can replace the brakes with something like what XLR82XS did - custom solution IIRC - or what I did (AP Racing BBK kit), and you can replace a T or an S's turbos with the APR K04.3 turbo + stage 3 kit or whatever.

So start with finding a car that is closest to your overall desired spec and price point, regardless of whether it is a base, T, S or GTS, and go from there.

great perspective. Thanks
Old 02-25-2022, 12:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I'd take a slightly different approach. Look at the rest of the "features" of the car - sometimes you're going to be more interested in whether the car has 18 way seats and sound system and sun/moon roof, 7MT vs PDK, SPASM vs PASM, RAS vs not RAS, and so on vs whether it is a T or S or GTS. For the requisite amount of money, *any* of them can be tuned and turned into a monster. If you really want to, you can replace the brakes with something like what XLR82XS did - custom solution IIRC - or what I did (AP Racing BBK kit), and you can replace a T or an S's turbos with the APR K04.3 turbo + stage 3 kit or whatever.

So start with finding a car that is closest to your overall desired spec and price point, regardless of whether it is a base, T, S or GTS, and go from there.

^ Good point.

I debated Carrera T vs Carrera for a long time after a lot of seat time in both (12,000 miles in the Carrera, 750+ in the T). Specced both models over and over, and then S and GTS too. All four came out to around $5k of one another, though the S and GTS required deleting options I wanted to get close in price. In the final math, the T was compelling for SPASM, LSD, final drive ratio, shifter, and cloth seats, but the dynamic differences between it and the Carrera is splitting hairs for the vast majority of the time…and I've always loved dark green 911s. So I skipped the T, knowing the car would be my daily driver. No regrets.

So I definitely wouldn't pass up the right Carrera or Carrera S in the right spec. All of these 991.2 Carrera models are phenomenal, and in my opinion underrated as 911s go. I'm even very into the Targa 4, the heaviest/slowest. A friend has one, and it surprises me every time. YMMV…

As for brakes, I agree PCCB isn't necessary on a street car—if you live where the roads are flat and/or not curvy. For my use, I knew an upgrade would be needed—as brakes are one of the few weak areas on the 991.2 Carreras IMO. There were no appealing upgrades when I ordered the car, though the AP setup would be my move for a Carrera/T/S/GTS without PCCB now. Nice thing about PCCB is it's arguably a better system than any aftermarket system, and PCCB is factory installed and covered by the warranty. If you want to go track the car, a set of iron rotors has you on your way. And while I wouldn't do it, the PCCB rotors can be sold to (more than) finance the cost of the option and aftermarket iron rotors. This probably goes double on a used car.

Last edited by stout; 02-25-2022 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wbrownie (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Best 991.2 platform to tune