Sponsored by:

Center Lock Nut Composition

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Center Lock Nut Composition

What is the composition of the outer portion of center lock nuts? Have yet to take one off, so don't have any way of knowing if these are full billeted aluminum or if the outer visible portion is made of delrin or some other high density thermoplastic. I ask, because I was wondering if the outer portion can be coated/anodized to match a wheels finish. Has anyone done this?
Old 02-07-2022, 12:21 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

It is metal.

Be careful with anodizing, as you may not get the color you want because of the metal. I wanted my CL anodized red, but it come out copper/orange. I had this done awhile ago, so don't remember the reasoning. If you decide to do it, just keep this in mind and question the shop about the process and if you will get the color you want.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
It is metal.

Be careful with anodizing, as you may not get the color you want because of the metal. I wanted my CL anodized red, but it come out copper/orange. I had this done awhile ago, so don't remember the reasoning. If you decide to do it, just keep this in mind and question the shop about the process and if you will get the color you want.

So they are fully billeted aluminum? That's good to know. I guess they can be powder coated to match, which would be my preference. There are a few good shops near me whose opinions I would trust. Powder coating or even ceramic coating may be the way to go.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I don't think you are supposed to powder coat. I wanted to do that originally, but was told not to. Forget the reasoning. It should be anodized.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:18 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 111 Posts

You don’t want paint or powder coatkng on the mating surface. Thats a HUGE safety risk.

You won’t be able to get it to torque correctly.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:05 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
You don’t want paint or powder coatkng on the mating surface. Thats a HUGE safety risk.

You won’t be able to get it to torque correctly.
I realize that the mating surfaces need to remain free of the coating and any contaminants. The outside surface of the nuts obviously have some kind of coating, be it an anodized, ceramic or powder coating, since I now know they're fully metal vs a hi-temperature, hi-impact plastic.

I'm going to be installing these and I'm looking to discover if the nuts can be made to match which is dark gun metal or some such color.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:15 PM
Live Steam
Racer

OK I believe I've found some knowledgable information. This post explains things well. Guess I now need to purchase a set of nuts and bring them and a wheel to someone that can handle this properly.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:09 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
I realize that the mating surfaces need to remain free of the coating and any contaminants. The outside surface of the nuts obviously have some kind of coating, be it an anodized, ceramic or powder coating, since I now know they're fully metal vs a hi-temperature, hi-impact plastic.

I'm going to be installing these and I'm looking to discover if the nuts can be made to match which is dark gun metal or some such color.

Beautiful wheels!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hurricane:
991Targa4S (02-07-2022), Live Steam (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 06:11 PM
cbditty
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the best way to clean the center lock nuts? My black ones are getting a cloudiness on them that doesn't seem to come off. Treat with VRP protectant or maybe something else?
Old 02-08-2022, 12:44 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam

I have very similar wheels with the centers in Agate Grey and as you can see the black does not really take away from the total look of the wheel. That being said I will stay tuned to see what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:09 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
I have very similar wheels with the centers in Agate Grey and as you can see the black does not really take away from the total look of the wheel. That being said I will stay tuned to see what you end up doing and how it turns out.
They are great looking wheels!

The following users liked this post:
911BOSS (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
Thinking about this further, my first approach is going to be to purchase a new set of nuts which I will use with the current Turbo S wheels and use a matching enamel paint on the original nuts. If that doesn't prove to be durable, I'll have them finished by a pro in the appropriate manner. If the wheels can be refinished the nuts can be as well. But a good metallic enamel should do it, if prepped and applied properly.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Let us know how it goes.

What color are you planning for the nuts?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:25 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Let us know how it goes.

What color are you planning for the nuts?
The intent is to match the dark metallic that's on the wheels which is pretty much the same color that surrounds the headlights.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:41 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

I was told that olive oil rubbed onto the center lock will help remove the cloudiness. NOT KIDDING. That cloudiness is cause by chemicals in the products you use to clean the wheels.

Quick Reply: Center Lock Nut Composition