Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 08:49 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,019 Likes on 959 Posts

The wait is finally Over

So happy, will have to let this sink in

The following 10 users liked this post by desmotesta:
996scott (02-14-2022), AdamSanta85 (02-12-2022), ftc3 (02-12-2022), jfischet (02-14-2022), koala (02-11-2022), LaVaDog (02-13-2022), Live Steam (02-12-2022), spyderbret (02-14-2022), Tangerine (02-11-2022), Watson (02-11-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2022, 08:53 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Congrats!!!! She is so beautiful!!
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 09:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Very Nice!
desmotesta (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 09:46 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Wow. Gorgeous!
desmotesta (02-11-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 12:15 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Love the combination of the color and interior. Just classic. Fortuitous find!

Last edited by Live Steam; 02-12-2022 at 12:21 AM.
desmotesta (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 07:05 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 488 Likes on 102 Posts

That looks stunning. A very understated GTS. Enjoy it in good health.
desmotesta (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 09:35 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Very nice! Congrats!!
desmotesta (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 10:09 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Some initial impressions (subjective opinions):

- Already miss my 18 way Sofas, 14 way can be adjusted to a very similar low down seating position but back/shoulder support is no where near as good

- PDLS+ LED lights are blinding. So much more corner and street coverage at night, high beams on another level

- Pretty soft clutch, clutch engagement is very low which I prefer

- Shifter is not bad at all, although throws are long(er) than ideal for this kind of car

- Shifter position is PERFECT. Biggest difference between 996/987/997 and 981/991 cars is the angle of head/shoulder/shifter position. I have never liked the low down shifter position of my 987, as if I am reaching down for the ****, 981/991 cars got the shifter position (in relation to steering and driver) absolutely Spot-On

- PDCC is noticeable but not obvious, will report back once I install DSC V3 later today and car drive more aggressively, tires are brand new so have to let them have their break-in period

- Ride is harsh (but I am used to DSC ride with GT3 touring file), same as old car

- I am going to have to Learn how to drive all over again, PDK made up for such a controlled and collected/undisturbed ride when changing gears mid corner and even upshifting/downshifting. I found my shifting needs a lot of improvement.

- Nothing is more obvious than how engaging and satisfying driving is especially when driving slow and normal. Took the kids out for an ice cream run. I would be revving and somewhat speeding in the older car just to feel some engagement, I rarely cracked the speed limit and had more "fun".

- Leather steering doesn't feel as grippy and engaging as ALCANTARA, but expected

- As reported after my 991S manual test drive months ago, biggest different is how the car Revs between 1500-4500. Drive train feels much more Free and light, even though PDK wasn't traditional automatic, there was still a sluggishness in low revs (it made up for that by kick down to lower gear), but locked in same gear, 1500-4500 Revs are quicker , the car is noticeably torquier with a Manual.

- color is absolutely gorgeous in real life, and paint corrected (claimed by dealer) it looks stunning. I will be ceramic coating it next week after washing it, so we will find out if it is really as perfect as it seems with LED light in garage or did they apply a sealant that is hiding swirls/scratches

- The two tone interior compliments the exterior color in the best way, no way this Agate Grey Metallic would look this stunning with all black interior.

- Miss the flushed look of my Turbo CL wheels

- Car looks ridiculously and very noticeably small in the same garage , sitting on the same lift. Every family member, young and old noticed without question. Both wife and teenagers asked to check if it were indeed a "GTS". (white car looked huge, optical illusion)

- Interior is spotless and without a single blemish, goes along with the 1 confirmed owner and ALL service records I received from Porsche Manhattan. BUT, its obvious it wasn't a garage kept car, spent at least 50% of time in the sun (me be at work?) Judging by slight fading on hood crest and not AS shinny/black GTS Engine grill.

- Figured a way out to turn off the Passport 9500ci Radar and Laser Jammer. Laser Jammer illegal in NC as far as I know) May have it uninstalled when car goes for tint and sell the whole system

- Happy to have reverse camera, boy did I miss that in my old car.

- No radiator grills throughout its life (so it seems), tons of small imperfections on all 3 radiators. Bumper plugs and radiator grill are priority 1 at this point

More to come.....

Happy with the DME report as well

Last edited by desmotesta; 02-12-2022 at 11:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by desmotesta:
AdamSanta85 (02-14-2022), Watson (02-12-2022), z168 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:09 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Excellent breakdown. Thank you for sharing your observations. That is truly a unique spec for a GTS. Enjoy!
Old 02-13-2022, 02:39 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Congrats! Great move on the manual. This should be a future classic.

I’ve never seen a 5 lug gts 991, was this a rare option or converted?

There's another centerlock delete 991.1 GTS in the Autotrader, but PDK.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:56 PM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Learned something new with out of state trade ins and purchases.

Congrats on the acquisition and thanks for posting the details.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:14 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

update:

Got the car up on lift for a closer/detailed inspection

All panels are original with Porsche VIN stickers

99.9% rust-free (scans a couple of bolts) on anything in spite of the car spending 100% of life in N.Y

All service up to date, benefits of ending up with a Real 1 Owner car

Paint is perfect, Not a single scratch, swirl or imperfection , not happy that the dealer did the "paint correction" because I am sure they didn't hire the best or care about how much they are polishing, but its better than spending 3 days correcting it myself (with subpar equipment)

AdamSanta85 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 05:17 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
update:

Got the car up on lift for a closer/detailed inspection

All panels are original with Porsche VIN stickers

99.9% rust-free (scans a couple of bolts) on anything in spite of the car spending 100% of life in N.Y

All service up to date, benefits of ending up with a Real 1 Owner car

Paint is perfect, Not a single scratch, swirl or imperfection , not happy that the dealer did the "paint correction" because I am sure they didn't hire the best or care about how much they are polishing, but its better than spending 3 days correcting it myself (with subpar equipment)

Such a beautiful GTS, congrats!

desmotesta (02-13-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 06:43 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Your GTS is brand new from the showroom, well done! Nice write up!
You have some leather CXX options it seems so kudos to that!

- Already miss my 18 way Sofas, 14 way can be adjusted to a very similar low down seating position but back/shoulder support is no where near as good
Maybe you can retrofit 18 Ways since you already have the 14 ways?

- PDLS+ LED lights are blinding. So much more corner and street coverage at night, high beams on another level
I don't have experience with the Xenon headlights but been very happy with LED and PDLS+ at night. I also prefer the look of the LED and the ring light when daytime running lights are ON.

- Pretty soft clutch, clutch engagement is very low which I prefer
Softer than my 993 I think. Kissing clutch point is low I agree, I need to get used to it.

- Shifter is not bad at all, although throws are long(er) than ideal for this kind of car
- Shifter position is PERFECT. Biggest difference between 996/987/997 and 981/991 cars is the angle of head/shoulder/shifter position. I have never liked the low down shifter position of my 987, as if I am reaching down for the ****, 981/991 cars got the shifter position (in relation to steering and driver) absolutely Spot-On
Yes, shifter action is OK, better than whatever I read albeit not perfect.
Position of shifter is spot on. Porsche really nailed the ergonomics of the 991 cabin.

- PDCC is noticeable but not obvious, will report back once I install DSC V3 later today and car drive more aggressively, tires are brand new so have to let them have their break-in period
Cannot really comment on that since my 991.1 Targa does not have PDCC but I did drove a 991.2 Targa 4S with PDCC ON and OFF on a track (slalom) during a Porsche Experience session and I did see the improvement with PDCC ON (i.e. the car corners flat).
I have not driven my 991 hard but I expect some level or roll when driven hard. PDCC would have been a very nice to have option indeed since I suspect the Targa kinda increases the center of gravity.

- Ride is harsh (but I am used to DSC ride with GT3 touring file), same as old car
I find my 993 C2 more comfortable than my 991.1 GTS on bad roads.

- Nothing is more obvious than how engaging and satisfying driving is especially when driving slow and normal. Took the kids out for an ice cream run. I would be revving and somewhat speeding in the older car just to feel some engagement, I rarely cracked the speed limit and had more "fun".
I absolutely concur. Just driving normal is a great experience whenever I shift in these 911s (991.1 or 993). Gotta love the manuals!

- Miss the flushed look of my Turbo CL wheels
No CL wheels on a GTS is like no wing on a GT3 (just kidding).
I think it's possible to retrofit them - I suspect Suncoast could prepare you a retrofit kit.
Maybe swap to 991.2 RS Spyder wheels, you get best of both worlds : looks of Turbo CL + convenience of 5 lug nuts.

- Happy to have reverse camera, boy did I miss that in my old car.
Miss that too on my 993 (and the parking sensors as well).

- No radiator grills throughout its life (so it seems), tons of small imperfections on all 3 radiators. Bumper plugs and radiator grill are priority 1 at this point
My car is CPOed so I am not too sure I wanna add a grill for Porsche to then say warranty is void because of the radiator grill. I'll have to ask them if it's OK or not to add them.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:40 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm? So your car came in an enclosed transport and the dealer chose to have theirs shipped open trailer? FYI, all 2016 Club Coupes (GTS) are 5-lug. And yes those big rear tires will collect nails. Enjoy your 7-speed, I enjoy mine.
desmotesta (02-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Out with the Old and in with the .....