991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 to 991.2 Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022 | 11:55 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Tommy, I went from a NA 991.1 S to a 991.2 GTS and yes that NA sound isn’t there, but with some exhaust work, it can sound pretty damn good. The rest of the car is a nice upgrade from a .1. I haven’t tuned my car, which is very surprising, as I tune everything, because I haven’t felt the need to. I’m sure I will, but I can’t imagine how much more fun that will be. I’m close by you, if you want to meet up and take my car for a spin. It’s a manual as well. Only other car I would consider other than this, is a GT4 or GT3 manual.

Last edited by NJ991; 01-27-2022 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy L Garage (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022 | 05:08 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

I wanted to sincerely thank you all for amazing feedback. I think I’ve finally made up my mind. My kids are 3/6 so that’s a good age for a 911. 991.2 it is. M3 will be traded first - I HOPE I can get away with keeping the 981 too.

To those who offered me rides - I’d love to! What is that WhatsApp group that I could join?

C4S would be more versatile and better for winter driving for my ski trips.

T would be more enthusiast oriented and will feel more special, but it would have to have PCCB, otherwise stock brakes are too small purely from the looks perspective. I’m vague like that . Also T will be more affordable.

if anyone sees any amazing deals pls let me know! Thanks!

Old 01-29-2022 | 06:03 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage
I wanted to sincerely thank you all for amazing feedback. I think I’ve finally made up my mind. My kids are 3/6 so that’s a good age for a 911. 991.2 it is. M3 will be traded first - I HOPE I can get away with keeping the 981 too.

To those who offered me rides - I’d love to! What is that WhatsApp group that I could join?

T would be more enthusiast oriented and will feel more special, but it would have to have PCCB, otherwise stock brakes are too small purely from the looks perspective. I’m vague like that . Also T will be more affordable.

Great choice. I have C4GTS and a super happy with it. Plenty of power, 4 wheel power for performance and safety year round made this a great choice for me.
Old 01-29-2022 | 06:30 PM
omar0022
Racer

Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage

I hope you can keep both too!! You’ve invested so much time in the Cayman to make it a full-fledged GTS and she looks great! Whatever you decide, I’m sure you’ll come up with some great content for your viewing audience!

btw I love that you start your post in the same fashion as your videos… “hi there” 😂
Old 01-29-2022 | 06:38 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

As someone who still gets to play with a Cayman, I can tell you that although the Cayman is a more balanced sports car, it is almost too boring in dry weather ( On Street)

I almost only enjoy my cayman S in the rain, where it shows its balance and where I can get it out of shape without going very fast,

The 911 is more enjoyable on the street at street speeds, because of engine placement and playfulness. Even the 991 still has the old 911 characteristics and will bite back in dry/street driving.

Happy for the OP, he will enjoy the "upgrade"
Old 01-29-2022 | 08:41 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ991
Tommy, I went from a NA 991.1 S to a 991.2 GTS and yes that NA sound isn’t there, but with some exhaust work, it can sound pretty damn good. The rest of the car is a nice upgrade from a .1. I haven’t tuned my car, which is very surprising, as I tune everything, because I haven’t felt the need to. I’m sure I will, but I can’t imagine how much more fun that will be. I’m close by you, if you want to meet up and take my car for a spin. It’s a manual as well. Only other car I would consider other than this, is a GT4 or GT3 manual.
What exhaust do you have? Thanks. I'm looking for something that doesnt affect emissions.
Old 01-29-2022 | 10:03 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

If you want to drive year round, get a 4S for sure.
Old 01-30-2022 | 01:40 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by jeunge
Big fan of your channel! Personally think you would really enjoy the 991.2. It is capable on the track and I think you will find the sound enjoyable enough with soul headers, cats, and pse. Stock exhaust is definitely underwhelming.

I think you joined our ny/nj 991 whatsapp group at one point. Come out to one of the drives and we have an array of 991.1 and 991.2 stock and with soul/ other aftermarket exhaust so you can get some in-person comparisons. My base 991.2 will have soul headers/cats/pse before the spring along with a tune. You're welcome to take mine for a test drive.

Notes on car seats. I am also using this as a weekend family car. Have two kids in the back age 6/3. Currently using:
Maxi cosi rodifix. Fits great. Recommend.
Wayb pico. Super compact so fits great. Head rest doesn't have side bumpers so my younger kids head flops all over the place. Currently use an amazon velcro head holding contraption for his rare naps in this car.
Buddy has a mifold highback booster which he likes. I might eventually get this and shift my younger to the rodifix.

Oh and think of all the great content you can make!

Feel free to pm if you have any questions.
Unrelated but important: I’ve heard some concerning things about the safety of those Amazon head restraining bands… and if you think about why no big name company produces them (litigation liability) it may make sense.
Old 01-30-2022 | 10:05 AM
jeunge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Unrelated but important: I’ve heard some concerning things about the safety of those Amazon head restraining bands… and if you think about why no big name company produces them (litigation liability) it may make sense.
Thanks for the.. “heads up”.
I’m going to remove and look into it. I know a couple people who use it so I’ll pass along the info. Really appreciate it. Safety first especially for the kiddos.

Quick Reply: 981 to 991.2 Regrets?