Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switch from manual to pdk

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 07:45 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

If you have doubts then you should hold out. I agree it's hard to find the ideal spec in manual. Took me many months and I almost caved a few times for a PDK out of despair. But I held out and am so glad I did.

I've driven with a PDK. No doubt it's the best of it's kind. I have actually driven both a PDK and manual of the exact same car otherwise at PECATL for a good 90 minutes each. Sure the PDK is faster on the shifts and if your looking to shave fractions of a second of your 1/4 mile or maybe a few seconds off your laps, then PDK for sure. But FOR ME, the experience of driving a manual transmission on a track was way more fun and engaging. I also enjoy my manual even in the city. The PDK is definitely easier on the track but I felt much less connected to the car. Again, this was FOR ME and certainly not representative of most PDK owners.
The following users liked this post:
Watson (01-24-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 08:40 PM
Topaz32
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Searched for over a year for a car that checked the majority of my boxes. 7 MT was a must as was color and other convenience features. Keep on the hunt until
you find the right one

Last edited by Topaz32; 01-19-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Watson (01-24-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

I drove manuals since getting my license. Loved the control. When looking at the 991.1, it seemed like a great pairing with the manual. When 991.2 was released and I borrowed a PDK C4 for a few days, for me this match up just worked so well. PDK and 991.2, perfect together.
desmotesta (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:59 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
I have a PDK991.1 and I would rather have a manual if I could choose. I like my car so I’m not gonna go through the hassle of selling or trading it, but if you could ask me whether I’d want to make it manual tomorrow at the snap of a finger, I believe I would do so.

On the flipside, I think I would regret the manual for daily duties, but since that’s not the case for this car, I can’t say for sure

I am in the same boat as you and I have decided to take on the painstaking task of selling/trading my .1 GTS for a Manual. Its very hard as I LOVE my car, its perfect in every way except the PDK (for me).
I am certain I will always miss this car when its gone but you only live once and life is too short to live with a compromise day in day out, especially on a Fun car. Life is hard enough as it is and we all make compromises on many things.

Hope I dont regret getting rid of my beloved car.
The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
964-50 (01-20-2022), Watson (01-24-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:49 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I am in the same boat as you and I have decided to take on the painstaking task of selling/trading my .1 GTS for a Manual. Its very hard as I LOVE my car, its perfect in every way except the PDK (for me).
I am certain I will always miss this car when its gone but you only live once and life is too short to live with a compromise day in day out, especially on a Fun car. Life is hard enough as it is and we all make compromises on many things.

Hope I dont regret getting rid of my beloved car.
I don’t think you will, especially if it’s not a daily car for you. You raise a great point about not compromising on the things we have the ability to avoid compromising on.
Watson (01-24-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 08:44 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default PDK

First and for most the manual may not be as fast as the PDK
But the driving experience With a manual is far more engaging!
It’s also a wonderful antitheft device

Last edited by roketman; 01-22-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:03 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
First and for most the manual may not be as fast as the PDK
But the driving experience With a manual is far more engaging!
It’s also a wonderful antitheft device
I did not go from pdk to manual for lap times. Have not regretted my decision for even one moment.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:00 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

On my 14th Pcar. The previous 13 were all manuals including 4 TT cars of 996 and 997 vintage.

I really wanted the 991TTS and it only comes PDK. I have to say I love it. It is the DCT on the market in my opinion. My car is custom tuned and I have the Cobb PDK tune also. Shifts are quick and sharp and in a car with big HP the PDK really shines. I dive in 99% of the time in manual in Sport mode.

Also if you are slow moving traffic and have to behave a piece of cake to dive.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:08 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Not all pdk trannys are created equal. 5 decades of manual gearbox variety. Never was I going to change. 8 years in a manual pcar and finally tried a pdk. Total pdk failure so tried to find a manual 911. Gave up and back in a pdk. factors are 1. fear of the money shift. 2. type of paddles, I'd rather drive an Oldsmobile than a pdk with steering wheel shifters. 3. each pdk model I've driven shifted differently. Some are crisp and some laggy. If your experience is not good you might hate the pdk. 4. warranty, don't do pdk without one. 5. what do you like. I love listening to the sound of the pdk shift under power. Reminds me of the Audi diesel lmp1 cars. For me manual shifts are an exercise in futility, but I'm considering going to a cross turismo. My neck just can't take the g-force as much. senior member afterall

Quick Reply: switch from manual to pdk