Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliable source for PIWIS 3 Clone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022 | 02:13 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Folks, I’m not trying to run a repair shop with cracked software or pull one over on Porsche.

I need it for troubleshooting and diagnosing issues for myself at home. I have a Macan S and the 911 and both can benefit by having a Piwis 3 since “I’m the warranty” and do all maintenance and wrenching myself.
Big 2nd! I am @AdamSanta85 I will try to look deeper in my PIWIS 2 to see if I can deactivate the Active engine mounts. My gut tells me the could be tied into our SC and Sport+ programs which could also deactivate other things. Also I am all ears if you have an idea which menu I should start digging around in. If I can get it to work, I'll just ship my PIWIS to you.
Old 01-07-2022 | 02:30 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Big 2nd! I am @AdamSanta85 I will try to look deeper in my PIWIS 2 to see if I can deactivate the Active engine mounts. My gut tells me the could be tied into our SC and Sport+ programs which could also deactivate other things. Also I am all ears if you have an idea which menu I should start digging around in. If I can get it to work, I'll just ship my PIWIS to you.
I don't need it right now. Someone on RL cited the location of the option, I just forget where.

http://www.torquesolution.com/Porsch...ts-por-520.htm

**Important Note: Sport Chrono Package equipped vehicles removing the OEM Dynamic Engine Mounts will cause a PADM error, which can be coded out using PIWIS.
Old 01-07-2022 | 05:15 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I don't need it right now. Someone on RL cited the location of the option, I just forget where.

http://www.torquesolution.com/Porsch...ts-por-520.htm
I wonder if this vendor knows how to do it in a PIWIS. Let me charge mine up and dig around. There are a million menus and whomever created the UI should be shot.

Old 01-08-2022 | 06:44 AM
PCMGEEKS
Former Vendor

PIWIS jobs like Taycan needed the latest updated software because have a new campaign.
for the upgrades, MY 2020 Taycan will demand an 8-10hours job done. MY 2021 Taycan maybe 3-4hours job done.
How can clone tools will handle that? Never clones with your budget!
Old 01-08-2022 | 06:57 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

I don’t think anyone is proposing using a PIWIS clone to do a 10h update on a Taycan…

For simple tasks at home I can see the appeal, if Porsche wanted to stop it they could offer a consumer version of the software locked to one car like VCDS and people would pay for it - they don’t because they want to push people to dealers at ~$300 an hour equivalent (uk dealer pricing).
The following users liked this post:
AlexZTuned (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022 | 09:40 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

VCDS == Durametric
Old 01-08-2022 | 11:10 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCMGEEKS
PIWIS jobs like Taycan needed the latest updated software because have a new campaign.
for the upgrades, MY 2020 Taycan will demand an 8-10hours job done. MY 2021 Taycan maybe 3-4hours job done.
Do dealers charge hourly for that? That would be nuts to just have a car sit there and get billed for it.
Old 01-08-2022 | 11:13 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
That would be funny if it weren’t so true. After reading that that thread on temp mapping, My eyes cross when looking at water temp.
Many of the posts on this board challenge the maxim "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I am not an automobile engineer, computer scientist, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer and, well, I'm just gonna drive the car and not screw with it lest I need the services of a trauma surgeon.
Old 01-08-2022 | 12:23 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCMGEEKS
That may be a concern if we all had new Taycans, but this is the 991 forum. No one is software updating these “old cars” anymore last I checked - likely because Porsche has no reason to continue pushing out updates for a car that ended production in 2019.

This is simply a tool that is needed my 2017 911
and my 2016 Macan S for DIY/maintenance. A cloned PIWIS can more than handle whatever task is needed for basic diagnostics and coding.
Old 01-08-2022 | 12:35 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

So just to add to this thread - VXDas is an absolutely HORRIBLE source for Piwis clones. Long story short, they blamed my laptops WiFi connection - even though they were making changes via team viewer and I have high speed internet.

When they still were unable to activate the software to run basic diagnostics, they said that it was my USB port that was not working and I should stop buying computers from “bad people”. Funny because plugging the OBD dongle into the USB port not only fires up the LED’s on the dongle and the computer recognizes the device, it also recognizes when it’s plugged into the OBD port to recognize the ignition is on. Simply lying and passing the blame on me.

I spoke with a Rennlister who was extremely gracious and helpful and he took a look at what they did and configured on my laptop. Basically, they sent me a dongle with the incorrect firmware and they are not able to activate the Piwis license.

So now I need to pay $65+ to ship this junk back to China and hope I get a refund. Their customer service is obnoxious, finger pointing, and rude. I’ve been dealing with them for over 2 weeks trying to resolve this and now have an opened PayPal case for fraud.

Luckily, I am getting help from a rennlist member who graciously helped me troubleshoot and discover what VXDas could not. He pointed me in the right direction to purchase the OBD dongle with the correct firmware version and has an SSD to clone over the software.

There are some great people on this forum! And for those who ever think about ordering the VXDas or other companies in China, good luck. I paid nearly $800 on their cables and SSD and all I received were headaches, the blame game, and most detrimental - the inability to diagnose my 911 for weeks.

Do not buy from VXDas/China. Find a reliable source on Rennlist if you do want a Piwis 3 clone - they are out there and available.
Old 01-08-2022 | 02:13 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Well I bought my PIWIS II clone from them and it worked great. To avoid any weird compatible hardware issues I ordered it in their tablet form. So all the hardware came from them. Sounds like you just got careless service, and obviously the language barrier probably doesn't help. Sorry to hear your experience sucked, in my situation it worked out as expected. Sounds like a your mileage will vary vendor.
Old 01-08-2022 | 02:30 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Why do we need one of these devices at all to do maintenance minder resets? It defeats the ability to self-maintain our vehicles. I thought there were consumer protections.
Old 01-08-2022 | 03:17 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by puppycat
Why do we need one of these devices at all to do maintenance minder resets? It defeats the ability to self-maintain our vehicles. I thought there were consumer protections.
Right to repair? Tell that Apple and Tesla
Old 01-09-2022 | 08:29 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

If I am looking to get one of these, should I be looking for a 2 or a 3?
Old 01-09-2022 | 11:17 AM
puppycat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joec500
Right to repair? Tell that Apple and Tesla
John Deere is being sued for this very reason

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...00-000-tractor
The following users liked this post:
denver88carrera (06-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Reliable source for PIWIS 3 Clone?