Sponsored by:

Sport/Launch lights don't work on 991.1 with Sport Design wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 12:48 PM
iota
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport/Launch lights don't work on 991.1 with Sport Design wheel

I have a '15 GTS PDK with the 3-spoke "sport design" wheel, which includes the Sport/Plus/Launch lights.

I unfortunately screwed my car up (slightly) a couple weeks ago with an iCarSoft POR-3.0 unit - while poking around, I clicked on "feature enable", "multi function wheel" and the next screen said "enter a 16 digit number". I put in all zero's to see what the next screen would show - and what I didn't know was that the next screen was going to recode the car to try to have a multifunction wheel, which it does not.

Doing that removed my ability to use the stalk on the side of the steering wheel, as well as the ability to see or sync recordings on the PCM with the chrono.

At the urging of some here, I picked up a Piwis 2 clone and got a copy of my car's original feature enable codes. I've been able to re-add the missing codes for "onboard computer" and "SportChrono" so now the stalk works and the PCM shows & syncs with the dash wart clock.

However, the only thing that I am missing is the lights on the steering wheel when I turn on Sport/Sport Plus mode (and presumably launch control).

I've tried resetting the factory coding on the wheel, automatic coding, etc but still can't get the lights to turn on, and when I try to use the function test for the launch control light, I get an error as well. I have checked the 'vehicle config' and it shows that the PDK sports wheel is installed, so at least the other unit didn't change that.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what module needs to be reset or what coding adaptation I am missing? Thanks for any help, this is driving me nuts that I broke this and can't fix it myself (and obviously yes, I could go grovel to the dealer but it's a pride thing at this point)
Old 12-30-2021, 01:36 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

I would suggest bite the bullet, go to dealer pay one time fee and get it all reflashed/sorted. Simple and risk free.
The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
Al.Fresco (12-30-2021), iota (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 01:56 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Agree with above. It's not impossible to damage things by forcing coding with PIWIS, but if you don't know what you're doing with that equipment I'd recommend just paying the dealer the $160 to recode your car.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:03 PM
iota
Intermediate

Thanks guys - the dealer is currently scheduling for months out, and they have the same tool that I do (PIWIS). I'm not terribly afraid of it, as the worst thing that happens is I do end up having to go to the dealer, and through research I've already been able to recode & repair the other missing functions so I have gained some familiarity with the tool. I'll surely schedule up with the dealer if I can't figure it out but I would like to, obviously, as I like to do all of my own work on my cars (and that includes fixing my own mistakes!)

If anyone has experience with PIWIS perhaps from their time at a dealership, I'd appreciate the insight.

The only thing that remains is simply that the sport/launch lights don't come on (but the VAL shows that launch control indicator is enabled). I believe this is due to the fact that the car incorrectly thinks it has a multifunction wheel installed, as there is a "Multi-function steering wheel (LIN)" module listed with serial number "ffffff" and hardware/software version 0000. I've checked the vehicle config and the proper options (PDK wheels with paddles, etc) are selected - none of the MF wheel choices are picked in the vehicle config. But, the erroneous module still appears and the lights don't come on, nor can they be activated by drive links test.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:34 PM
iota
Intermediate

Thanks to forum member Donovan who spent a few hours today going over all of the cars stuff in Piwis with me; we still haven't solved it but he at least agrees that it should be working right based on all that has been tried so far.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:48 AM
iota
Intermediate

OK, I was able to resolve this myself (thanks to help from a forum member who PM'ed me and helped via Whatsapp). It appears that the Sport Chrono/Sport design wheel package comes with its own "quasi-multifunction" coding from the factory, which makes the lights work (and is also why you can swap to a multifunction wheel / 991.2 mf wheel and not have to do any recoding if you already have the sport wheel) - but it obviously doesn't include the "diamond" key menu in the dash display, since the "quasi-multifunction" wheel doesn't need it (which is why you need to enable that via Piwis developer mode if you do an MF wheel swap). (info from: https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide)

So it appears that what happened to me is that the "iCarSoft" unit allowed for an invalid entry of 00000000000000000, which Piwis does not accept, and this basically overwrote/blanked out the factory feature enablement and made my "quasi-multifunction" wheel turn into just a plain old steering wheel. This broke the lights feature, which was the only "feature" that the wheel had.

What I ultimately did to resolve this was just got a multifunction code for my car (from navi-expert.com) and used Piwis to feature enable for multifunction wheel, then did automatic coding on all modules. This instantly fixed it and now everything is back to normal, plus I was able to swap to a 991.2 mf wheel using the gpsadapter unit and the buttons worked (whereas prior to feature enable for mf wheel, they did not). It's worth noting that I didn't have to change my vehicle config in Piwis for this - so the car accepted and "worked" with a multifunction enable code despite being set to the factory "sportdesign" wheel in the vehicle config.

Hope this info helps someone who ever has issues with coding or setting their steering wheel - if you do, and you have Piwis2, feel free to PM me because I've spent hours digging into it at this point.
The following users liked this post:
Watson (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Props to you for figuring all this out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
iota (01-08-2022), shammerman (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Now sell your iCarSoft before you do more damage. ;-)
Old 01-08-2022, 10:14 AM
iota
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Now sell your iCarSoft before you do more damage. ;-)
yep it's gone, now I have Piwis2 and have spent hours in it at this point so I feel very comfortable using it.

If the ICarSoft unit wouldn't have accepted the invalid all zero input, or if I would have just left it well enough alone and not gone clicking around in it, I'd have been fine 🤣

but at this point I am happy as I've gained lots of experience and have a good comfort level with Piwis, unlike a little hand held device that gives almost no feedback and is more of a black box
The following 2 users liked this post by iota:
Viper pilot (01-08-2022), Watson (01-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Sport/Launch lights don't work on 991.1 with Sport Design wheel