Sponsored by:

New plenum option for 991.2 3.0 motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 06:54 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Following.
I'm curious as to why Do88 doesn't already have a plenum available for the 991.2
Old 12-28-2021, 07:26 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

They will list it soon as it’s now confirmed to fit.
@do88 performance feel free to chime in on anything I may have missed out on.

Last edited by polobai; 12-28-2021 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
991_T (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 03:39 AM
mrneef
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3DMetal
@spdracerut great info.
TiAL is 1.8mm wall thickness.
Any gains with the tial?
Old 12-29-2021, 08:33 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Awesome job!
polobai (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 08:54 AM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

This post is what convinced me to put the IPD on my 991.2: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/985450-991-2-carrera-ipd-plenum-testing-results.html

My car already had BMC filter, Kline inconel headers, soul sport cats and anti-drone x pipe. I felt a noticeable bump in power in the midrange after the install. Then I had a custom Cobb dynotune to bring it all together. The car is a blast!

Last edited by SlickOne; 12-29-2021 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Words
Pb Pedis (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:20 AM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by SlickOne
This post is what convinced me to put the IPD on my 991.2: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/985450-991-2-carrera-ipd-plenum-testing-results.html

My car already had BMC filter, Kline inconel headers, soul sport cats and anti-drone x pipe. I felt a noticeable bump in power in the midrange after the install. Then I had a custom Cobb dynotune to bring it all together. The car is a blast!

Thanks-doesn’t look like that link is working-curious as to what the findings were.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:05 AM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Thanks-doesn’t look like that link is working-curious as to what the findings were.

click the first result: https://www.google.com/search?q=991....obile&ie=UTF-8

rennlist doesn’t like their competition. Haha
The following 2 users liked this post by SlickOne:
Pb Pedis (12-29-2021), polobai (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by SlickOne
click the first result: https://www.google.com/search?q=991....obile&ie=UTF-8

rennlist doesn’t like their competition. Haha
Great link! There is so much ambiguity about plenum upgrades, and it's really helpful to see objective results. I went with the tide deciding that if so many performance builds included the plenum mod there must be a reason for it.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:43 AM
polobai
Drifting

Being completely honest, I am one of the non believers that it will make a difference on a relatively stock/bolt on platform. I plan on dynoing and overlaying some runs in the next few months to see if there are any midrange gains. I will also pull out the dragy and see if there are any differences on the road. For me, it’s an easier pill to swallow being half the price of the others if the gains are not there and I don’t think it will hurt performance in anyway.
Pb Pedis (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:59 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

I’m in the same boat - I don’t think these plenums will make a noticeable difference (if any at all).

IMO, the biggest bottleneck after the intake inlets is the stock Y-pipe. It’s tiny, crushed, and generally looks to be a poor flowing piece that can be improved on and actually make power gains. Only problem is there’s not much room/clearance to play around.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:37 PM
polobai
Drifting

I took a close look at the y pipes to see if there was any room to work with and can say there is very little if any at all as you still have to fit the intercooler ducts…unless the ducts are modified or remade, I don’t see it happening.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:07 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Being completely honest, I am one of the non believers that it will make a difference on a relatively stock/bolt on platform. I plan on dynoing and overlaying some runs in the next few months to see if there are any midrange gains. I will also pull out the dragy and see if there are any differences on the road. For me, it’s an easier pill to swallow being half the price of the others if the gains are not there and I don’t think it will hurt performance in anyway.
Sorry Man, but this is faulty logic and I see it all the time.

Brand X had an Expensive part that makes dyno proven claims of power. People argue it won’t make that Power and that brand X did their own dyno.

Brand Y makes a cheap copy at half the price, with clearly an inferior design, and it doesn’t make any power.

The wrong conclusion that is drawn, is that Brand X must be lying and theirs must not make any power because the half assed one never made any.

Sorry, it’s faulty logic. I see it all the time with Headers and Exhausts. Brand X has done all the engineering and spent the money to ensure the subtle differences actually contribute and make the item perform.

Almost 4 years ago, the very first mod i bolted to the car was the IPD Plenum. The week before I was at roll racing.
There was a modded RS3 running E85 that every race we were locked door handle to door handle. He was so proud that he ran with a car that was 3 times his price.
I had the IPD bolted on and went back next week.

I pulled on him every time. Before IPD, we were door handle to door handle. After IPD, he was locked to my rear bumper. You can argue about how little difference that is, but a win is better than a dead heat in my book.

About a year after that BGB Motorsport was sick of all the arguing about if it worked or not and dynoed before and after. It was a clear 15hp in the mid range, but up top resumed back to normal power. So it caused a bubble in the middle, but did not add to peak power.

Having had my car dynoed so many times and now up graded turbo’s I know why this happened.

Stock turbo’s fall off a cliff up top. Plenum by itself is not enough to over come this.

Will Brand Y and Z make any power? i don’t know. But if they don’t, is has nothing to do with the fact that brand X does make power.

My other point is, the IPD is most likely the lowest cost mod on my entire car, yet causes the most drama.

When you see the IPD beside the stock plastic piece of crap, your eyes tell you it will help.

Just like the huge mandrel bent TiAL tubes. Way superior to the weasel squashed plastic stock ones. Won’t make you leap tall buildings in a single bound by itself, but eventually there will be a sum of all the parts benefit.

just my .2c.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 12-29-2021 at 04:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
991_T (12-29-2021), Pb Pedis (12-29-2021), Sarawnty (12-30-2021), spyderbret (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 04:44 PM
01996tt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

Brand X had an Expensive part that makes dyno proven claims of power. People argue it won’t make that Power and that brand X did their own dyno.

Brand Y makes a cheap copy at half the price, with clearly an inferior design, and it doesn’t make any power.

The wrong conclusion that is drawn, is that Brand X must be lying and theirs must not make any power because the half assed one never made any.

Sorry, it’s faulty logic. I see it all the time with Headers and Exhausts. Brand X has done all the engineering and spent the money to ensure the subtle differences actually contribute and make the item perform.

Almost 4 years ago, the very first mod i bolted to the car was the IPD Plenum. The week before I was at roll racing.
There was a modded RS3 running E85 that every race we were locked door handle to door handle. He was so proud that he ran with a car that was 3 times his price.

I pulled on him every time. Before IPD, we were door handle to door handle. After IPD, he was locked to my rear bumper. You can argue about how little difference that is, but a win is better than a dead heat in my book.

About a year after that BGB Motorsport was sick of all the arguing about if it worked or not and dynoed before and after. It was a clear 15hp in the mid range, but up top resumed back to normal power. So it caused a bubble in the middle, but did not add to peak power.

Having had my car dynoed so many times and now up graded turbo’s I know why this happened.

Stock turbo’s fall off a cliff up top. Plenum by itself is not enough to over come this.

Will Brand Y and Z make any power? i don’t know. But if they don’t, is has nothing to do with the fact that brand X does make power.

My other point is, the IPD is most likely the lowest cost mod on my entire car, yet causes the most drama.

When you see the IPD beside the stock plastic piece of crap, your eyes tell you it will help.

Just like the huge mandrel bent TiAL tubes. Way superior to the weasel squashed plastic stock ones. Won’t make you leap tall buildings in a single bound by itself, but eventually there will be a sum of all the parts benefit.

just my .2c.
Let see some real dragg time with it

Last edited by 01996tt; 12-29-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:50 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

just my .2c.
No need to apologize, I welcome all schools of thought and it’s good to see the results. I would rather set myself up for a pleasant surprise rather than a disappointment. Once I dyno and do a couple dragy runs I will have some data on it and will update this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
4 Point 0 (12-29-2021), Sarawnty (12-30-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 04:57 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by 01996tt
Let see some real dragg time with it
With IPD Plenum 🤣

IPD Plenum

Quick Reply: New plenum option for 991.2 3.0 motors