Old 12-20-2021, 07:32 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking Base C7 vs Base 991.2

Hey gang,

Recently, our good friends at TheSundaeDrive challenged us to race their base C7 Corvette with our base 991.2.

We accepted, since it would be a fun way to illustrate the differences between the cars both stock as well as modified. We decided to make this a series, so the goal will be to have future videos showing off both of the cars with more modifications as time goes on.

This video shows our base 991.2 without a tune and with a tune, which gives a nice visual representation of the differences.

Without further ado, enjoy!

Old 12-22-2021, 12:55 AM
jimmyeatsworld
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I am enjoying your tune btw.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedCircuit (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,432 Likes on 691 Posts

Very nice video. Being a long time vette owner I must add the following:

Totally different animals, the vette's NA engine's 460 torque comes in at 4600 rpms and being that the engine is 6.2 litres you can stay in a gear longer before upshifting. The turbo in the porsche makes the torque come in much sooner and with only 3 litres the revs happen quicker and it hits redline much faster and you need to upshift shift sooner. The vette is faster but you need to rev it to appreciate its speed.

I currently have a 2015 C7 7 speed with the top trim package and the quality of the leather is top notch and the gearshift is top notch. The problem with the vette's interior lies in the dash and console areas which are plastic and just are not put together as tightly as the Porsche. The entire interior appears to be not as tightly constructed for lack of a better description.

That said, I will soon be looking for a 991.2 C2S or a 992 C2S in a manual as I prefer the experience of driving a turbo rather than a big V8 due to the responsiveness of the engine.

SpeedCircuit (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 05:58 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy

Totally different animals, the vette's NA engine's 460 torque comes in at 4600 rpms and being that the engine is 6.2 litres you can stay in a gear longer before upshifting. The turbo in the porsche makes the torque come in much sooner and with only 3 litres the revs happen quicker and it hits redline much faster and you need to upshift shift sooner. The vette is faster but you need to rev it to appreciate its speed.

I currently have a 2015 C7 7 speed with the top trim package and the quality of the leather is top notch and the gearshift is top notch. The problem with the vette's interior lies in the dash and console areas which are plastic and just are not put together as tightly as the Porsche. The entire interior appears to be not as tightly constructed for lack of a better description.

That said, I will soon be looking for a 991.2 C2S or a 992 C2S in a manual as I prefer the experience of driving a turbo rather than a big V8 due to the responsiveness of the engine.
Big regret of mine was not picking up one of those discounted base Corvettes at Kerbeck for about $50k. Love the C7 design, just beats the crap out of the C8, even if the C8 is better, the C7 is just a beautiful car.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 12-22-2021 at 08:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
GT3FZS (03-16-2022), SpeedCircuit (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 07:20 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld
Nice! I am enjoying your tune btw.
Thank you, sir!
Old 12-22-2021, 07:23 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy

I totally agree. I actually went to buy a C7 at one point, but the price they offered me for my trade in was about 1/3 of it's private party value, so I decided against it. The C7 is a bargain, despite it's burlap-sack carpet.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:13 AM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bump
Old 03-16-2022, 01:35 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,235 Likes on 621 Posts

Once you are open to modding, Corvettes are work horses and even a base can be turned into a competent track missile with less than $5k in parts. They are very capable platforms, but they are GM’s with typical interior but also a few notably expensive parts. If I was building a track car a C5 Z06 would be one of the first to consider. The low initial cost and running costs mean more $ left over for tires/brakes/track fees 😊 that means more track time, and more development as a driver for a lower amount of $.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:19 AM
jimmiejam
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a C7 and I have a 991.1 C2S. Both are drop tops, not "base" models and both are autos. Completely different concepts of what a sports car can be, the 911 is far more complicated than the C7. I have been a Corvette owner since the early 1970's. I like them both for what they are, fun to drive and great to look at.......FWIW.

Last edited by jimmiejam; 03-17-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Newusername (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 04:41 PM
Snowkone
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a C7 Stingray w/bolt-ons and E85, 991.2 Base, and now a 991.2 C2S (both 911s with just Softronic tunes).

Definitely agree they are completely different applications of sports cars, but both get the job done. The Corvette is the bang for the buck king (total I paid under $70k with the bolt-ons and tune), but the Porsche has an air about it that gets non-car folks excited (but cost me closer to $100k in the used market).

With the C7 - I miss the V8 rumble, the ability to use E85 and gas mixtures with flex fuel, and the better storage with the hatchback. I don't miss the fear of spinning out around corners if I put my foot down too hard. That's the very reason I didn't get a C7 Z06 as my next car after test drives; I almost hit a wall when my foot slipped around a corner. I know - my fail - but still it's a TON of car for the street (I daily drive my cars more than I do road course or drag strip).

With the 991.2 C2S specifically - I love the boosted power, the light weight, the planted feel, the attention, better MPG, practicality and it's faster all around (just got a tune from Softronic) even with the Yokohama stock tires I have (switching to Michelin PS4S soon).

Between those 2 - I'll take the 911 every day. Now the C8 is another story if the prices are MSRP; which is hard to come by unless you want to be on a 1-3 year wait list (depending which one you want). The C8 Z06 is looking awesome, but dealers are wanting $50k over MSRP just to get one now - madness.

Quick Reply: Base C7 vs Base 991.2