Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Mirrors for 991.1 (painting question, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 11:43 AM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default GT3 Mirrors for 991.1 (painting question, etc.)

Looking to possibly swap the OEM mirrors for the GT3 mirrors. I like the look of the mirror when its completely painted. I am being told that its not recommended to paint the black plastic piece as it would not properly allow the paint to adhere to it over time. I am assuming the GT3 mirrors that came from the factory on the GT3 that were painted in their entirety as an option were probably dipped which allows the sustainability of that part of the mirror to be painted initially?

Btw, does anyone know the expected labor hours to have these swapped out (existing OEM mirrors I have are non-foldable therefore no switch, etc. needs to be accounted for).

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2021, 11:57 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

There are some that are fully painted. I would look into a set on eBay that are fully painted-you may even find them in your color if you are patient. Swapping the mirrors are a relatively simple diy but I imagine a shop would charge about 2 hours labor to install them.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

The painted mirrors on the 991 were a factory option called Sport Design Mirrors.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:13 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
The painted mirrors on the 991 were a factory option called Sport Design Mirrors.
Good to know thank you. Do you know by chance know if can you order those today where you can paint the entire mirror (comes premièred)? Or is it just the GT3 branded mirror that I am finding at Suncoast that has the plastic on the bottom of it that not recommended for painting? Thank you
Old 12-06-2021, 01:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by CraigT!
Good to know thank you. Do you know by chance know if can you order those today where you can paint the entire mirror (comes premièred)? Or is it just the GT3 branded mirror that I am finding at Suncoast that has the plastic on the bottom of it that not recommended for painting? Thank you
Here's one place. Also check pricing with places like Sunset Imports.

GT3 Mirror Package : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)
Old 12-06-2021, 01:28 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Here's one place. Also check pricing with places like Sunset Imports.

GT3 Mirror Package : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)
Those are the ones I found, but it looks like they come with the hard plastic on the bottom of them (at least one of the photos shows that). So my concern is that I don't believe you should paint over that black hard plastic, as the longevity of that paint in doing so would be jeopardized (at least that is what I understand in speaking to a few paint shops). So I am assuming the ones that came from the factory as an option initially on that car were dipped somehow to allow for them to be fully painted without jeopardizing the paint (just assuming here)?
Old 12-06-2021, 01:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Craig, it looks like Suncoast calls them "GT3 Mirrors" and "Sport Design Mirrors" in the same ad. They are one in the same. On the 991 GT3 they were standard. On the 991 Carreras, they were an option (about $600).
Old 12-06-2021, 02:05 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

I have actually bought these kits. In the kit the entire housing (TOP AND BOTTOM) come as the same type of plastic, not that textured look. My shop had ZERO issues painting them. Here are pics of my kit when I had parts for sale.

It took me about 3-4 hours to assemble and swap from stock mirrors. Not a difficult DIY.

Last edited by Joec500; 12-06-2021 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:40 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigT!
Looking to possibly swap the OEM mirrors for the GT3 mirrors. I like the look of the mirror when its completely painted. I am being told that its not recommended to paint the black plastic piece as it would not properly allow the paint to adhere to it over time. I am assuming the GT3 mirrors that came from the factory on the GT3 that were painted in their entirety as an option were probably dipped which allows the sustainability of that part of the mirror to be painted initially?

Btw, does anyone know the expected labor hours to have these swapped out (existing OEM mirrors I have are non-foldable therefore no switch, etc. needs to be accounted for).

Thanks!
I bought these through Suncoast and had them painted and assembled through my dealers in house auto body shop. The entire enclosure is made from the same grey primed plastic so you will have to paint the entire thing.

All work done through Porsche dealer
paint $175
Mirror assembly $140
Install $315

Please note I was getting one door card replaced at the time so they did not charge me for the labor to remove that side door card.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:48 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I bought these through Suncoast and had them painted and assembled through my dealers in house auto body shop. The entire enclosure is made from the same grey primed plastic so you will have to paint the entire thing.

All work done through Porsche dealer
paint $175
Mirror assembly $140
Install $315

Please note I was getting one door card replaced at the time so they did not charge me for the labor to remove that side door card.

Thank you for the detailed information, much appreciated
Old 12-07-2021, 02:46 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

Here is mine unpainted & painted. No problem with paint.

Don’t let the dealer install for you , they will charge you 2 hours , it took me 30 minutes DIY. There is instructions on YouTube.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:53 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roswell88
Here is mine unpainted & painted. No problem with paint.

Don’t let the dealer install for you , they will charge you 2 hours , it took me 30 minutes DIY. There is instructions on YouTube.

Those look really nice, thanks for the info. Btw, do you get any additional wind noise with those? I had thought I read somewhere of a complaint relative to that
Old 12-07-2021, 04:39 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Thank you , no wind noise .

You can buy the triangle deflector if you are worry about the noise.

By the way , if you buy from Suncoast try to assemble it on your own cuz I heard dealership Body Shop will charge you a pretty penny to assemble them.

Luckily mine came assembled , and even that they wanted to charge me extra to remove the cover to paint . All money grab cuz they quoted me a price already . That’s all I paid.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts
Default D

Originally Posted by Roswell88
Thank you , no wind noise .

You can buy the triangle deflector if you are worry about the noise.

By the way , if you buy from Suncoast try to assemble it on your own cuz I heard dealership Body Shop will charge you a pretty penny to assemble them.

Luckily mine came assembled , and even that they wanted to charge me extra to remove the cover to paint . All money grab cuz they quoted me a price already . That’s all I paid.
DEF DON'T assemble them before they are painted. Paint them as sperate pieces, then assemble them.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joec500
DEF DON'T assemble them before they are painted. Paint them as sperate pieces, then assemble them.
yeah I guess you can assemble it after paint . Nonetheless I read someone paying insane money to assemble it

Quick Reply: GT3 Mirrors for 991.1 (painting question, etc.)