Sponsored by:

AFE Power vs Fabspeed headers 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 05:47 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 299 Posts
Default AFE Power vs Fabspeed headers 991.1

Has any body heard both of these in person. The sounds of the fabspeed seems to mimic a nice high pitch at WOT on their video anyway but I just can not get by the price. The only AFE video I can find includes an exhaust so is not similar. The pipes look to have the same bends. The AFE Headers claim a 29 HP increase with a 400 cell cat and the Fabspeed claim a 15 hp gain with a 200 cell cat. Could the 400 cell cat actually make similiar or more HP ? The AFE power web site no longer list th headers but it seems a lot of resellers have them in stock for about half the price of the Fabspeed. Anyone have any direct experience ?
Old 11-16-2021, 09:26 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,985 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Has any body heard both of these in person. The sounds of the fabspeed seems to mimic a nice high pitch at WOT on their video anyway but I just can not get by the price. The only AFE video I can find includes an exhaust so is not similar. The pipes look to have the same bends. The AFE Headers claim a 29 HP increase with a 400 cell cat and the Fabspeed claim a 15 hp gain with a 200 cell cat. Could the 400 cell cat actually make similiar or more HP ? The AFE power web site no longer list th headers but it seems a lot of resellers have them in stock for about half the price of the Fabspeed. Anyone have any direct experience ?
I have not heard either of them in person so i cannot comment on the subject of sound

As for claimed HP/TQ (either with 200 or 400 Cell CATS) its pretty subjective. What I HAVE learned and am pretty certain of is that most Sport headers should give you 15-20+ Peak HP/TQ but most importantly you can expect anywhere from 30-40+ midrange TQ which is why the sport header is the darling of so many people. Gaining 15-20 on the top end is great, but gaining 30-40 in the mid range is where most of us drive 90%+ of times and that, added with deeper sound (again in mid range) is why I want sport headers. Havnt been able to find a decent deal so I will keep looking, no rush here.(the car is already fast enough and more for my needs)

Last edited by desmotesta; 11-16-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:17 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,158 Likes on 689 Posts

I've got the Fabspeed on my car. Def added some punch in the pants and yes they have a higher pitched tone. They sound like the videos you see on youtube. Fitment was good, simple install in my garage. It is my understanding that the headers with the longer tubes (Soul) make more power on our cars than the shorter (Fabspeed). I personally wouldn't shop headers based on sound, and would focus on quality, fitment, and power gains.

I don't think I would buy the AFE headers. (But I do have their airbox) I also wouldn't spend $3900 on (any) headers. I can think of much better uses for my money.

And there is no way 400 cell cats will make more power than HJS 200 cell used in the Fabspeed or Soul.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-16-2021 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (11-16-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 273 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a 2014 Cayman S that I bought the aFe sport headers for $2k on a Black Friday sale four years ago. I know that my 981 is a different header and exhaust system than the 911 but the fit and quality of the aFe is great. On the 981 the aFe sport headers has longer equal length tubes than the Fabspeed and I retrofitted the PSE and a Cobb stage2 tune and it has the high pitch sound. I saved a substantial amount on the headers and have no regrets going with the aFe sport headers.
Jim
Old 11-17-2021, 09:36 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I had a problem with AFE headers that I bought for my 981 Cayman. I had to mill .06 off to stop a exhaust leak. That means installed, remove and reinstall.Took pictures and got ZERO help from their "customer service". All I wanted was the machine shop bill. I think it was $125.
I avoid AFE forever.

Last edited by justbob; 11-17-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:16 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

SO, do I buy sport headers and cats or a fun track 944T?
Old 11-19-2021, 02:59 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Good question

I do like the idea of matching the GTS output with exhaust and a tune but for 5K you can buy a rat rod, or a trip to europe wine country, etc etc. A spec miata or mini would be a faster choice for me than a 944. At 3K somehow it makes more sense to me not sure why but my baramoeter for toy threshold cost pain is too high on the fabspeeds. I also love their sounds which creates a delima. If someone told me the beckers on ebay sounded like the fabspeeds I would totally buy them, it is after all a metal tube with bends and a gasket. I would guess even the expensive ones cost more to ship than produce. Perhaps I should start a fabspeed header go fund me site where I whine incessantly that my high pitched whine is not high pitched enough.

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
SO, do I buy sport headers and cats or a fun track 944T?
The following users liked this post:
HkPlinker (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:51 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Perfectly explained and on the same wavelength

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I do like the idea of matching the GTS output with exhaust and a tune but for 5K you can buy a rat rod, or a trip to europe wine country, etc etc. A spec miata or mini would be a faster choice for me than a 944. At 3K somehow it makes more sense to me not sure why but my baramoeter for toy threshold cost pain is too high on the fabspeeds. I also love their sounds which creates a delima. If someone told me the beckers on ebay sounded like the fabspeeds I would totally buy them, it is after all a metal tube with bends and a gasket. I would guess even the expensive ones cost more to ship than produce. Perhaps I should start a fabspeed header go fund me site where I whine incessantly that my high pitched whine is not high pitched enough.

Quick Reply: AFE Power vs Fabspeed headers 991.1