Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

I'm on my originals - 13 years...

Old 11-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PHLY991
My local tire guy down the street has a little portable handheld receiver that can read all the data outputs on the TPMS sensors simply by waving it next to the valve stem. It tells the battery life in each sensor, the reading, manufacturer number, etc. One of them indicated was at 17% battery life remaining once, and he said he had a replacement in stock. I told him to do it, no problem… $59. Car never knew the difference

Sometimes the TPMS sensors need to be activated and programmed, and the TPMS tool can do that

Newer sensors transmit more data instead of just tire pressure and temperature, They include acceleration, run-flat mileage, load detection, tread depth and storage of tire data, etc. This likely requires a better battery and processor. This data can be used by the PCM to make real-time adjustments on suspension, powertrain, and other vehicle characteristics.
we used this device to determine which wheel was the culprit. Now since the sensor is replaced the car won’t pick up any wheels.

the car notifies me that “service is required”

Last edited by Rapter; 11-13-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:05 PM
Bassman51
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

When I sold my 2007 997, the TPMS was 14 years 10 months old and doing fine.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:16 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by asellus
Sounds like the antenna is hoopajooped. If the TPMS sensor is the right frequency, the car will find them and assign them each time you drive -- due to this design, there's no need to pair TPMS sensors to the car, nor is there a reason to reset the module, since it effectively gets reset every time the car goes to deep sleep (off for 1.5-2 hours).

Make sure you put a 433mhz sensor in if you're in the US. Somewhere in ROW they use 315mhz, and they are not interchangeable. There's also mention that despite being 433mhz, the 991.1 and 991.2 sensors are also not interchangeable, though I cannot confirm this. Best to call a dealer.
tried pairing the wheels again today and the process timed out after roughly 15 mins of driving and says “tpms failure service required”... I guess I have to visit the dealer.

would unplugging the individual antenna modules at each wheel then re-plugging address the issue of not being able to read the sensors?
Old 11-15-2021, 01:35 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
tried pairing the wheels again today and the process timed out after roughly 15 mins of driving and says “tpms failure service required”... I guess I have to visit the dealer.

would unplugging the individual antenna modules at each wheel then re-plugging address the issue of not being able to read the sensors?
Doubt it. Sounds like this might be more than a "turn it off and on again" kind of issue.

I'd make triple sure you didn't put a 991.1 sensor in the wheel. You need the 991.2 version. There have been numerous comments about even Tire Rack shipping the wrong ones.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:27 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by asellus
Doubt it. Sounds like this might be more than a "turn it off and on again" kind of issue.

I'd make triple sure you didn't put a 991.1 sensor in the wheel. You need the 991.2 version. There have been numerous comments about even Tire Rack shipping the wrong ones.

I visited the tire shop again this morning to discover that another sensor battery has died... where there was originally 1, since replaced, now there is another. So I guess by great accident another sensory died in-between having 1 repaired and then reinstalled. The right move is to have all 4 sensors replaced to avoid having to return back and forth to the shop.

...Just my luck...
Old 11-15-2021, 02:03 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

there like $134 for four
Old 11-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
When they are more than 6 years old and I’m getting new tires, the sensors are replaced. It eliminates one thing that will eventually fail, inconveniently.
Good idea. On my other car, a 2010, I had new tires put on in 2018 and the car hasn’t seen enough miles on the tires for them to need replacement, but of course, now in 2021 the TPMS batteries are failing. The only way to replace the sensors is to dismount and remount the relatively unworn tires. Six years may be a bit early, but definitely something to consider if replacing the tires anyway, or you could find yourself in my position!

Quick Reply: How long do TPMS sensors last?