Sponsored by:

Bose Car audio no sound but base sound is

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 01:16 AM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bose Car audio no sound but base sound is

I’ve read a couple of threads where the cars audio periodically stops and then will start after parked. Example, headed to Porsche service and wasn’t working except for subwoofer. Picked car up and it’s working. Started car next day, not working. Several threads mentioned same type of issue with Bose amplifier and replaced. A boot of PCM doesn’t stop issue. I see someone on eBay offers fixing Bose amp.

I see that there is two amps - ones called “radio amp” and looking at PET another ones “amplifier woofer”. Which is the amp for the speakers? Seems people have replaced the amp….just want to make sure which is the one that others have had problem with. Is the location under the passenger seat?

The car is in Porsche service for the spoiler assay replacement, yet another thread here, so I mize well replace the cranky amp if I can figure which one.

Ah the pleasures of buying a used Porsche.

Last edited by cicsprog; 11-05-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:41 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,247 Posts

I assume it's not a CPO car, so you're doing the parts acquisition and labor?
Old 11-05-2021, 01:42 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
I assume it's not a CPO car, so you're doing the parts acquisition and labor?
yepper
Old 11-05-2021, 04:52 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,502 Likes on 643 Posts

Not positive on the 991 but on the 997.2 the amp you are referring to is under the passenger seat. It's definitely a thermal issue and some people have had success opening it up and reapplying thermal grease to the power amp components (to improve heat dissipation). Others have replaced the the capacitors and reported it fixed the problem. There's also an outfit that will replace all the suspect components for you if you send the amp to them, quoted cost was $400. Check out this thread linked here, it's a long one but there's good technical info between comments 30 and 60 or so.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...stopped-3.html

My 997 just started doing the same thing at the end of Summer but since things cooled off it hasn't done it since. I'll try the thermal grease if it starts up again.
The following users liked this post:
asellus (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 12:31 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
Not positive on the 991 but on the 997.2 the amp you are referring to is under the passenger seat. It's definitely a thermal issue and some people have had success opening it up and reapplying thermal grease to the power amp components (to improve heat dissipation). Others have replaced the the capacitors and reported it fixed the problem. There's also an outfit that will replace all the suspect components for you if you send the amp to them, quoted cost was $400. Check out this thread linked here, it's a long one but there's good technical info between comments 30 and 60 or so.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...stopped-3.html

My 997 just started doing the same thing at the end of Summer but since things cooled off it hasn't done it since. I'll try the thermal grease if it starts up again.
WOW...thanks so much for the info. That was exactly the info I needed. I really appreciate your response.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:25 PM
cicsprog
Rennlist Member

Fixed…new amp….Ugg $800…so porsche

going to try and get the old one fixed and sell

Quick Reply: Bose Car audio no sound but base sound is