Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed 991.1 CS2 - Insurance repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 05:15 PM
Oskar_kl
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Crashed 991.1 CS2 - Insurance repair?

Hi,

New here but tend to read the threads, extremely helpful! Keep the good work up!

Unfortunately, I crashed this weekend in my 991.1 CS2 so I thought I would ask some questions about repairs and damages as I never damaged a car before...

I lost grip completely in a curve under a bride due to wet fall leaves, and went front-sideways into the 15 cm curb and then highway barrier on the onramp.
The right wheel took most of the hit and snapped the front axis completely, the front bumper/fender/door/back fender got sideswiped from the highway barrier and the right exhaust is bent downwards.

My questions are around repairs:
  1. The insurance company did not take it to a Porsche center, should I be worried or word against it?
  2. Will it look and drive the same as before the crash?
  3. Given that the front axis snapped should I be worried about the frame?

Any wise words are appreciated as I'm recovering with a rather sore body and realize I won't be back out on the road before the snow has arrived...
Old 10-31-2021, 05:37 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

First thing is glad you are unharmed, cars can be replaced. But hopefully your insurance totals the car, you most likely won't want this car once it's repaired. Try hard to get them to total it and use CURRENT REAL marketplace prices for your settlement. NOT Bluebook or whatever else they use.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

If no frame damage and no airbag deployment, the car won't be totaled.

Axles are made to bend and snap as not to cause frame damage and drivetrain damage.
The following 4 users liked this post by LexVan:
c615586 (11-19-2021), NJ991 (10-31-2021), Oskar_kl (10-31-2021), professorman (11-02-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 05:48 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Ugly but does not look like structural damage from this view. I doubt it will be totaled. Axle is an easy replacement. If there is no major structural damage it should drive just fine. Glad you are okay.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:35 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Axles are made to bend and snap as not to cause frame damage and drivetrain damage.

I have to disagree I have seen many cars totaled without structural frame damage. Also due to parts availability. Insurance companies have complex formulas to determine what “totals” a car push for them to total it.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I have to disagree I have seen many cars totaled without structural frame damage. Also due to parts availability. Insurance companies have complex formulas to determine what “totals” a car push for them to total it.
This thread is about Oskar's car. Not other cars you have seen. This car will not be totaled unless it has frame damage (unlikely) and air bag deployment (can't tell from picture).
The following users liked this post:
PHLY991 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 08:05 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts

As I understand it, the biggest issues as to whether the car is totaled are 1) is it truly repairable, and 2) how much will the repairs cost; if the answer to #1 is yes but the answer to #2 is a certain high percentage of the market value of the car (insurance cos. have their guidelines), the insurance company will total it. I was told the percentage for totaling a car by my former insurance co. was 70% of the value of the car; I don't know for sure exactly what the various cos. use. It's critical to get a true estimate of the total cost of repairing everything using OEM parts and Porsche trained and certified labor, which basically means the mechanical work is itemized, estimated and done by a Porsche dealer and the body work (including internals) is itemized, estimated and done by a shop that is Porsche-recommended, and is well-schooled in using Porsche tolerances and guidelines in repairing the car. Also, it's common and to be expected that the estimate will go up once the techs deconstruct parts of the car to get a thorough look inside. The external appearance can be very deceiving; the internal damage may be extensive.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:10 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
As I understand it, the biggest issues as to whether the car is totaled are 1) is it truly repairable, and 2) how much will the repairs cost; if the answer to #1 is yes but the answer to #2 is a certain high percentage of the market value of the car (insurance cos. have their guidelines), the insurance company will total it. I was told the percentage for totaling a car by my former insurance co. was 70% of the value of the car; I don't know for sure exactly what the various cos. use. It's critical to get a true estimate of the total cost of repairing everything using OEM parts and Porsche trained and certified labor, which basically means the mechanical work is itemized, estimated and done by a Porsche dealer and the body work (including internals) is itemized, estimated and done by a shop that is Porsche-recommended, and is well-schooled in using Porsche tolerances and guidelines in repairing the car. Also, it's common and to be expected that the estimate will go up once the techs deconstruct parts of the car to get a thorough look inside. The external appearance can be very deceiving; the internal damage may be extensive.
THIS....so much damage can be hidden and with so much of this car being aluminum, it's VERY expensive for both parts and labor. He's going to need new front quarter, door/doorskin , rear quarter and wheels. Also who knows what else could shift in that collision like suspension parts pushing up on the front subframe. Depending on the shop, this repair done by the book could start touching some insurance company's threshold for totaling.
Oskar_kl (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:35 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

A good repair shop (not sure where you are) and you won't be able to tell the OEM Porsche from the repair. A bad one you'll be miserable. Don't let your insurance company dictate where you take it. Your car is no where near totaled from what I can see in your pictures.
Oskar_kl (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:51 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,016 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Not entirely accurate. My car was totaled , no airbags, no frame damage, axles bent/broken

Oskar_kl (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:52 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,016 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by Oskar_kl
Hi,

New here but tend to read the threads, extremely helpful! Keep the good work up!

Unfortunately, I crashed this weekend in my 991.1 CS2 so I thought I would ask some questions about repairs and damages as I never damaged a car before...

I lost grip completely in a curve under a bride due to wet fall leaves, and went front-sideways into the 15 cm curb and then highway barrier on the onramp.
The right wheel took most of the hit and snapped the front axis completely, the front bumper/fender/door/back fender got sideswiped from the highway barrier and the right exhaust is bent downwards.

My questions are around repairs:
  1. The insurance company did not take it to a Porsche center, should I be worried or word against it?
  2. Will it look and drive the same as before the crash?
  3. Given that the front axis snapped should I be worried about the frame?

Any wise words are appreciated as I'm recovering with a rather sore body and realize I won't be back out on the road before the snow has arrived...

Hate to say it (and trust me I have been there) but thats a total Loss

Start preparing to fight insurance company on true value and start looking for a replacement (after grieving period)

Last edited by desmotesta; 10-31-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Oskar_kl (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:45 PM
PHLY991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It depends on insurance company. But you can look on copart[dot]com and see what totaled Porsches look like at this current time.
Oskar_kl (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:46 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 268 Posts

From what I can see of the front plate, looks like the OP is in Sweden. No idea how insurance companies operate there.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:33 AM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

That looks like a total loss to me. But insurance is going to see whats cheaper for them, they arent your friends. be aggressive and stand your ground. I hate insurance companies. too many bad experiences so far... glad you are okay!
Oskar_kl (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 03:04 AM
Oskar_kl
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the updates! Yes it’s in Sweden. And no airbags.

Seems like everyone is pretty divided around it so I may need to be harsh with the insurance company to get any repairs right. In case of totaled they are supposed to pay out 125% of actual market value…

I may also ask for the authorization of the shop to ensure it’s done correctly.

Last edited by Oskar_kl; 11-01-2021 at 03:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Crashed 991.1 CS2 - Insurance repair?