Sponsored by:

2012 991.1 S feels squirmy after new rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

From Tire Rack's page about breaking in your new tires:
"Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond more quickly. Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.
"...your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. "
Note: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period of 500 miles for optimum performance."
Old 11-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

New tires should not feel "squirmy" regardless of the film that some are saying needs to be worn off. But high tire pressures, 48 psi, like that will definitely cause the car to float and catch ruts, etc..... Try lowering the pressures and see if the change is immediate.
The following users liked this post:
911dude41 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 06:07 PM
ejlif
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to all the advice. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but am going to lower to 38 PSI and will report back. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2021, 06:14 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

38 is what I run in the summer when tires are hot. If cold set to 33.
I don’t think you mentioned where you live. Up here in the great white north, days are cool/cold. So cold pressure right now can be 28/30. Then when it gets warmer later after driving for a few hours they’ll go up to 35/38.
Experiment a bit.

Last edited by dannyss; 11-03-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:44 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

From your original post, sounds like scrubbing the tires in may/may not help as that is a different sensation...Lowering the pressures should help on initial turn in...but the squirminess may still be there...And is most like a direct resultant of a weaker (not as strong) sidewall construction. I went through this exact same thing with the Conti's last year.
A good test is to find a nice on/off ramp (or series of twisties)...keeping an eye on the stability/traction control lights on the dash...accelerate through the corner...My guess is you won't see the lights...Next do the exact same ramp, accelerate to a fair enough speed, let off while in the apex or cornering...and check to see if the stability/traction control light comes on briefly...Mine did..usually at speeds above 60/65...which is a direct resultant of the mismatch of wheel speeds between the front and the rear, so the computer compensates immediately for that mismatch...Extremely unnerving to say the least...

I would certainly appreciate any/all feedback you can provide once you get a chance to drive the car around.

Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2021, 08:55 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

i'm thinking all of the above coming into play causing the perfect storm= squirrelly

Brand new tires do seem to need a few miles to get comfy. my experience with none P cars is maybe 10 too 20 miles....30 miles max then all is good. never felt squirrelly but not very grippy out the gate

Air pressure way to high. i run my 13 C2S P zero's at 30/33 cold. took me about 3 months of ownership and this forum to help figure out the dealership set psi was insanely high (thank you RL!)

Worn tires upfront/brand new in the rear. you have a rather large differential between front/back here

good luck getting it sorted out
Old 11-04-2021, 02:54 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
New tires should not feel "squirmy" regardless of the film that some are saying needs to be worn off. But high tire pressures, 48 psi, like that will definitely cause the car to float and catch ruts, etc..... Try lowering the pressures and see if the change is immediate.
Accurate.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:54 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

For some reason you seem insistent on setting your pressure higher (38) than what Porsche recommends for partial load comfort settings. But I think you will find that the comfort pressures at partial load make the car handle and ride the best, unless you are exceeding 165 mph and/or have back seat passengers. I would suggest you start low and experiment upward if you don't like it. Best to maintain the front to rear difference as you adjust. For example. if the recommended pressure for your model is 31F 34R, maintain that 3 PSI difference if you experiment upward.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:43 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

UPDATE!
Just got the Nspec Michelin 4s installed. Needless to say, there is literally zero wallowing from the rear tires. And the temp here in Denver was about 38 today when I picked up the car from the tire shop.
So, for all of you out there with doubt about your tires and pressures, and etc. Just go get a set of Nspec tires and all that drama will disappear...
These Michelin tires are far superior to the Conti's and I haven't even been able to fully test them out. Absolutely amazing difference!

I'm anxiously awaiting a warmer day here so I can see what the tires can really do.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:36 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by nstar8
UPDATE!
Just got the Nspec Michelin 4s installed. Needless to say, there is literally zero wallowing from the rear tires. And the temp here in Denver was about 38 today when I picked up the car from the tire shop.
So, for all of you out there with doubt about your tires and pressures, and etc. Just go get a set of Nspec tires and all that drama will disappear...
These Michelin tires are far superior to the Conti's and I haven't even been able to fully test them out. Absolutely amazing difference!

I'm anxiously awaiting a warmer day here so I can see what the tires can really do.
Careful driving on them when the temps are that low! Glass transition is no joke.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:23 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
Careful driving on them when the temps are that low! Glass transition is no joke.
Yeah for sure...drive this car all year long unless there is snow, residual snow, or extremely cold temps...Been through two winters with the Contis...now the Michelins are up...

Quick Reply: 2012 991.1 S feels squirmy after new rear tires