Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way (settings)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021 | 01:17 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sy1616
To have the features of sport mode without the stupid exhaust crackle? I want the safety nannies in place so prefer not to drive in sport plus (to avoid the snap, crackle pops).
​​​​​​
Sport Plus doesn't eliminate any of the safety features that I'm aware. Throttle mapping might be changed along with steering and suspension, but I've never seen it turn off traction control, stability control, or ABS.
Old 10-31-2021 | 01:20 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
You can press the button and turn it off.
What happens when you do this? The snap, crackle, pop is mostly gone when I turn off my sport exhaust in sport mode.
Old 10-31-2021 | 01:47 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by sy1616
Yeah, not so much. I think it’s juvenile at best. For those not in the know, which is most, it makes a car sound somehow broken. My son, 11, thinks it’s embarrassing, which says something.
You understand the complete irony of referring to exhaust snaps, crackles and pops as “juvenile” based on an 11 year old’s opinion, right???????? Just saying………
The following users liked this post:
G8tor (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021 | 02:03 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speed2k
What happens when you do this? The snap, crackle, pop is mostly gone when I turn off my sport exhaust in sport mode.
Yea thats my only point. You can turn sport or sport plus off with the button if someone doesn’t like it.

If its a 991.1 then you lose a sporty map and more aggressive shifting if PDK.

(2¢) Its ok to want the car as a prize or gift to yourself even if not a complete octane addicted gear head. Just be ready for the gear heads to come in scratching their heads at the situation.

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 10-31-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2021 | 03:17 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Well, over-run is used for anti-lag, yes. No, antilag doesn't kill turbos. Porsche uses anti-lag on it's turbo vehicles, they just call it Dynamic Boost. Same effect, different methods. And yes, over-run is pretty pointless in this forum.

Anyway, back to topic..
You keep saying overrun but then proceed to describe antilag. These are two very different things, if you don't believe me please look them up.

Overrun is not antilag. Antilag is not overrun. Overrun is simply a state of being for an engine -- you are likely most familiar with this in the form of engine braking, or when the engine is winding down between upshifts.

While "antilag" as a whole is a concept, the term "antilag" is also very specifically referring to the strategy of injecting fuel and firing it while the charge is entering the exhaust manifold, usually by retarding timing some 30-50 degrees. This murders turbos and catalytic converts, because you are dumping heat into the turbine and shocking everything with high pressure on every ignition. Porsche does not do this on their street cars, full stop. The crackle tune in Sport w/valves open is just a phonesthetic, similar to the sound symposers feeding into the rear deck.

This is antilag:

I'd paste a video of overrun, but it's literally just revving an engine. The way down is overrun, the way up is not. You could also just shift to second gear at 50mph and let off the throttle too -- that's overrun.

Porsche's method to reduce boost loss between shifts (and also to improve transient throttle overall) is to just close the wastegates. In sport+ mode the throttle body is opened slightly to allow more airflow through the engine during overrun to help keep some modicum of turbine speed.
Old 11-02-2021 | 10:40 AM
Dre01SS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iammacey
​​​​​​
Sport Plus doesn't eliminate any of the safety features that I'm aware. Throttle mapping might be changed along with steering and suspension, but I've never seen it turn off traction control, stability control, or ABS.
+1 on the nannies as far as I'm aware.
Old 11-02-2021 | 10:52 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dre01SS
+1 on the nannies as far as I'm aware.
The SIT implies that Sport+ changes chassis control over regular Sport, most notably PTM and PTV.

Stability control (PSM) is not turned off or changed when in Sport+ though, that is something the driver must specifically request via use of the PSM button.

Old 11-02-2021 | 11:19 AM
Dre01SS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
The SIT implies that Sport+ changes chassis control over regular Sport, most notably PTM and PTV.
Stability control (PSM) is not turned off or changed when in Sport+ though, that is something the driver must specifically request via use of the PSM button.
Good table there, appreciate it. Makes sense the degree of intrusion changes, but still in place.
Old 11-02-2021 | 12:25 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fullyield
You understand the complete irony of referring to exhaust snaps, crackles and pops as “juvenile” based on an 11 year old’s opinion, right???????? Just saying………
+911

The snap crackle pop on modified Honda Civics are juvenile.

The snap crackle pop on Porsches are bliss.

The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Guards_Red_991 (11-02-2021), vroooom (07-08-2023)
Old 11-02-2021 | 01:14 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Don't like the fake pops either and had them diminished as part of a FVD tune at no additional charge. Best of both worlds - an extra 110hp and only moderate pops passing through the lower rpm range (~2,000rpm). I was told the pops are created by a lean condition - can that be good for anything?
desmotesta (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021 | 01:49 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maskman
I did. Put in individual and select sport without sport Exhaust
This. I set my individual just like this so I can have the benefits of sport without the pops. Although to be honest I use sport for the pops every once and a while just for fun.... (I never grew up inside....)
thesaintusa (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021 | 03:02 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderbret
This. I set my individual just like this so I can have the benefits of sport without the pops. Although to be honest I use sport for the pops every once and a while just for fun.... (I never grew up inside....)
Ditto. I prefer how the car shifts in AUTO when in auto mode.

Do the valves open under WOT in this mode? I don't put the throttle to the floor when trying to avoid the 'pops and snaps'.

I only use this mode when driving into work at 0600 and want to allow people to sleep, but I have always wondered what happens under WOT.

Old 11-02-2021 | 03:08 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Ditto. I prefer how the car shifts in AUTO when in auto mode.

Do the valves open under WOT in this mode? I don't put the throttle to the floor when trying to avoid the 'pops and snaps'.

I only use this mode when driving into work at 0600 and want to allow people to sleep, but I have always wondered what happens under WOT.
The valves open in 'normal' mode (and any other mode) even if you don't push the PSE/valve open button if you exceed certain parameters -- some specific RPMs, some specific airflow, some specific vehicle speed, and/or a combination of those things. For all intents and purposes, the flaps will always open when you're giving it the beans. @Arin@APR has a tune that drastically reduces this behaviour, but the valves will still open even if you haven't explicitly told them to.

Arin, do you have the OE parameters of the exhaust vales opening on their own handy?
Old 11-02-2021 | 03:08 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
+911

The snap crackle pop on modified Honda Civics are juvenile.

The snap crackle pop on Porsches are bliss.

I guess we're in the minority. I love the pops and crackles from the N/A 3.8 with PSE. Not the fastest car in the world... but in a tunnel at WOT, nothing like it.
Guards_Red_991 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021 | 08:05 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
The valves open in 'normal' mode (and any other mode) even if you don't push the PSE/valve open button if you exceed certain parameters -- some specific RPMs, some specific airflow, some specific vehicle speed, and/or a combination of those things. For all intents and purposes, the flaps will always open when you're giving it the beans. @Arin@APR has a tune that drastically reduces this behaviour, but the valves will still open even if you haven't explicitly told them to.

Arin, do you have the OE parameters of the exhaust vales opening on their own handy?
Thanks.

That is why I recall reading, but generally am in Sport, and Sport+ when WOT.

Never tried to hammer it in Normal mode.

Next time will try it out.

Quick Reply: Is there a way (settings)