Sponsored by:

Possible Scam on sale of my 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 08:18 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
if you can't trust cashier's checks and wire transfers guess we're back to cash.
What if the cash is counterfeit?
Old 10-22-2021, 08:19 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Levy

bottom line is NEVER sign a title over unless you have all the money positively secured. wiring funds is really the only safe way to do this in a timely manner. if the buyer doesn't mind waiting several days to get the car and title, a cashiers check might be an option

be careful out there
Check out the Normal guy Supercar videos regarding CNC Motors (formerly in Upland, CA). They had owners leaving high-end cars to sell on consignment, then they sold the car without telling them. The owners only found out after calling CNC (sometimes months after the sale) and being told the car had "just sold" and "the check was on it's way". So far at least forty people have not gotten their money and CNC is long gone. CNC usually insisted the seller supply the title when they left the car on consignment.

This one hits close to home as I bought my TT from CNC though it was over two years ago apparently before things went south. It did take nearly two months to get the registration as I suspect in hindsight they were floating the payoffs on existing loans.
The following users liked this post:
bayne (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

As another member recommended do an escrow account. A couple of years ago I sold my boat to an out of state buyer who setup an escrow account online. Transaction was easy the buyer and I were very happy with the transaction.
The following users liked this post:
bayne (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 12:08 PM
james280
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts

Well... hopefully someone at Experience Wholesale is reading all this and it prompts them to come up with a better, safer way to settle car transactions.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:14 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
What if the cash is counterfeit?
gold bars? bitcoin? central bank digital currencies? lol
Old 10-23-2021, 06:16 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Latest from them: "It’s called left lane exotics our name on sun biz , owned 100% by the same owners of Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale and Long Island . You can call and verify us and myself . We do the buying wholesale part."

I offered to take a wire, they said, "We do only checks but will figure out I can swap title with the check."

I offered this: I will give you a bill of sale and copy of title, check can be made payable to my law firm trust account and when cleared you can get car and title. Look me up, Ward Damon Law firm. He replied "Have a lovely weekend . Let me know when your ready ! We can meet at Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale dealership and then you keep the car we won’t harm anyone reputation is everything"

Will call Ferrari dealership
will give you a bill of sale and I will give you a bill of sale and copy of title, check can be made payable to my law firm trust account and when cleared you can get car and title. Look me up, Ward Damon La
Old 10-23-2021, 06:22 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Just called "https://www.ferrarifl.com/" and the buyer does work there as a salesman.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:00 PM
RPA911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The fact that he wont wire the money is crazy to me. I would just keep looking.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:08 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

it is true that almost every dealership pays via check when buying wholesale units. the main exception is when doing business with the big auction house's. some dealers who do alot of business at auction set up electronic payment, but that's about the only time they do e-pay. many dealers won't not pay for a car unless the title is present/handed over at payment. the only real exception to this is when paying off a lender/lien..... so i kinda see where this guy is coming from.

sounds like you connected some dots and are making progress. i'd speak briefly to a manger there too, if you haven't already. local franchised dealer being behind the purchase would eliminate almost all of my concerns. good luck

good luck
Old 10-23-2021, 09:49 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

I guess if the check is from Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale and I get a letter confirming title does not transfer until clearance, maybe okay?
Old 10-23-2021, 10:05 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mjposner
I guess if the check is from Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale and I get a letter confirming title does not transfer until clearance, maybe okay?
I would have no hesitation taking a check from a local franchised dealer. My issues would be with Indy dealers and/or wholesalers. Not saying they’re all hoodlums but many are. Confirm the check is from the dealership along with something in writing stating the terms/details and you should be fine.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:33 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mjposner
My car is for sale (https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1271385) and I got an acceptable offer. Buyer wants to give me check in exchange for bill of sale and title, and when check clears the car. Business card is from this place: https://experience-wholesale.com. Says that its for Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale and states, "We can meet at Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale dealership and then you keep the car we won’t harm anyone reputation is everything."

I figure if check bounces, he has title and can come take the car....
Sounds reasonable to me. I would take the deal without hesitation. Dealers write checks. That's how they do it. If you are defrauded, it would be considered a theft by deception and you are probably insured. I highly doubt it would come to that.

Last edited by justbob; 10-24-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:39 AM
jimmiejam
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

As long as you are dealing with Ferrari Fort Lauderdale and know that as fact, taking a check should not be an issue. What also should not be an issue is that they get the car only when you have the quarters in your pocket.....

Quick Reply: Possible Scam on sale of my 991.1