Sponsored by:

Cooling System questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021 | 04:36 AM
Smashed up 991
2nd Gear

Default Cooling System questions

Hi Everybody,
you guys might know the answer to this question. I have a 991.2 that got in a fight and came out second best. The RH radiator needs replacing - but we need to move the car before we can get a replacement installed.
So we have removed the RH radiator, and connected the inlet pipe direct to the outlet pipe. My theory is that there is enough cooling capacity in the LH radiator to allow short term operation to get the car on and off a transporter.

This leaves a small (blow-back?) hose with nowhere to go.

My question is. Can this small hose be just blocked off - or does it need to connect in the cooling system?

Of course there is a lot more to this story. But for now I just need to get the car mobile.

Radiator removed. Here we have connected the inlet pipe to the outlet pipe. What do we do with the small black hose - the one blowing bubbles?

Old 10-14-2021 | 04:11 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by Smashed up 991
Hi Everybody,
you guys might know the answer to this question. I have a 991.2 that got in a fight and came out second best. The RH radiator needs replacing - but we need to move the car before we can get a replacement installed.
So we have removed the RH radiator, and connected the inlet pipe direct to the outlet pipe. My theory is that there is enough cooling capacity in the LH radiator to allow short term operation to get the car on and off a transporter.

This leaves a small (blow-back?) hose with nowhere to go.

My question is. Can this small hose be just blocked off - or does it need to connect in the cooling system?

Of course there is a lot more to this story. But for now I just need to get the car mobile.

Radiator removed. Here we have connected the inlet pipe to the outlet pipe. What do we do with the small black hose - the one blowing bubbles?

it appears to be the hose that bleeds off any air that would be trapped in the top of the radiator. It goes to the “comfort valve” in the top of the coolant expansion tank to bleed off air from from multiple locations. I would think that blocking it off will work for you.
Jim
Old 10-14-2021 | 04:31 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

you just need to move it on/off the transport, yes? if so, what you've done is more than sufficient and I wouldn't worry about it. you're not going to warp a head from idling the car for 30 seconds without coolant or with a lot of air in the system, which unless you've vacuum bled/filled the system is your situation right now.

Quick Reply: Cooling System questions