Sponsored by:

Auto advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 05:07 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto advice needed

Wanted to get everyone's opinions on what I should do with my current auto set up, i.e. "1st world problems"-solving.

I have 3 gas cars, a 2019 RAM 1500 limited crew cab, 2018 BMW M550, and 2015 991 GTS.

My work is ~5 miles away from home, and I mainly go back-roads to maximize driving time and whatever enjoyment I can get. I'm lucky that there is typically no/light traffic. When I work, I mainly drive the BMW on the weekdays, and the RAM on the weekends.

My wife typically drives the RAM to shuttle our kid to school, 9 miles each way on weekdays. She otherwise works from home.

I have test driven a Tesla model Y performance, and was just about set to pull the trigger, selling back my BMW to the local BMW dealership (their initial offer to buy back was ~$54k, which I think I can talk up to higher $56k+). Tesla offered me quite a bit less than market value, so trading in to them wasn't an option (even with the trade-in tax credit). Though we were impressed by the Y, the ride still seemed a bit rough and 'jouncy' so while quicker than our M550, it would certainly be a step 'down' in comfort.

So instead, I put a $1k refundable deposit as a 'flyer' on a Rivian R1T, which I spec'd out with the larger battery option--price as spec'd ~$90k-$7500 federal tax = $84k.

Since I don't need 2 trucks, I plan to sell back/trade in my RAM. But the question of the day is: what should I do with my BMW and/or 991?

The local Porsche dealer offered me $110k for my 991. My GTS is pretty immaculate, ultra low mileage (~<3000 miles), and is a garage queen. I hardly drive it, a combination of preferring comfort, limited time for any 'pleasure driving' and the fact that my 9y/o child hates riding in the back seat.

I thought about trading it in for a Taycan X-turismo for a hot minute (love the looks), but I would be very concerned about it's comparative limited ~214mi range, some of it's ergonomic quibbles, and especially the fear of mega-depreciation when Porsche releases a 300+ mi range variant next week (sarcasm).

I also thought about upgrading my 991 GTS for, say, a 2022 992 GTS, as it would have some nice tech and comfort features that wasn't optioned on mine (drive n' go, modernised entertainment unit). I built one up online for ~$180k, optioned w/ manual. For me, this too would be a garage queen, but likely the last of the gas powered 'dinosaurs' and between the manual tranny and engine roar, would be a slice of nostalgia for me. I also thought about upgrading to, say, a 992 Turbo, but have a bit of stomach cramp once price gets >$200k.

Some other EV options would be: Lucid Air. ~$139k. MB EQS ~$135k. And of course, Audi e-tron GT and/or Taycan X-turismo.

Or just sit tight.

Appreciative and interested in hearing what others would do...

Old 10-12-2021, 05:37 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by drsubie
Wanted to get everyone's opinions on what I should do with my current auto set up, i.e. "1st world problems"-solving.

I have 3 gas cars, a 2019 RAM 1500 limited crew cab, 2018 BMW M550, and 2015 991 GTS.

My work is ~5 miles away from home, and I mainly go back-roads to maximize driving time and whatever enjoyment I can get. I'm lucky that there is typically no/light traffic. When I work, I mainly drive the BMW on the weekdays, and the RAM on the weekends.

My wife typically drives the RAM to shuttle our kid to school, 9 miles each way on weekdays. She otherwise works from home.

I have test driven a Tesla model Y performance, and was just about set to pull the trigger, selling back my BMW to the local BMW dealership (their initial offer to buy back was ~$54k, which I think I can talk up to higher $56k+). Tesla offered me quite a bit less than market value, so trading in to them wasn't an option (even with the trade-in tax credit). Though we were impressed by the Y, the ride still seemed a bit rough and 'jouncy' so while quicker than our M550, it would certainly be a step 'down' in comfort.

So instead, I put a $1k refundable deposit as a 'flyer' on a Rivian R1T, which I spec'd out with the larger battery option--price as spec'd ~$90k-$7500 federal tax = $84k.

Since I don't need 2 trucks, I plan to sell back/trade in my RAM. But the question of the day is: what should I do with my BMW and/or 991?

The local Porsche dealer offered me $110k for my 991. My GTS is pretty immaculate, ultra low mileage (~<3000 miles), and is a garage queen. I hardly drive it, a combination of preferring comfort, limited time for any 'pleasure driving' and the fact that my 9y/o child hates riding in the back seat.

I thought about trading it in for a Taycan X-turismo for a hot minute (love the looks), but I would be very concerned about it's comparative limited ~214mi range, some of it's ergonomic quibbles, and especially the fear of mega-depreciation when Porsche releases a 300+ mi range variant next week (sarcasm).

I also thought about upgrading my 991 GTS for, say, a 2022 992 GTS, as it would have some nice tech and comfort features that wasn't optioned on mine (drive n' go, modernised entertainment unit). I built one up online for ~$180k, optioned w/ manual. For me, this too would be a garage queen, but likely the last of the gas powered 'dinosaurs' and between the manual tranny and engine roar, would be a slice of nostalgia for me. I also thought about upgrading to, say, a 992 Turbo, but have a bit of stomach cramp once price gets >$200k.

Some other EV options would be: Lucid Air. ~$139k. MB EQS ~$135k. And of course, Audi e-tron GT and/or Taycan X-turismo.

Or just sit tight.

Sell everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by justbob:
GT3FZS (10-14-2021), XLR82XS (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Sell everything but the 911. And start driving it more!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hurricane:
GT3FZS (10-14-2021), justbob (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 06:14 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 721 Likes on 356 Posts

Do you often take long road trips with the family where you need a range greater than ~200 miles? If not, than the Taycan would be a viable option for the "Family car". Sell the Truck & BMW...... Buy a Taycan for Family use, and drive the 911 to work.

If you need a Family vehicle for long range trips, then you will need to keep either the Truck or the BMW, yet you don't need both. The bottom line is start Driving your 911 as a daily driver to work & around town! Its just losing value sitting there in the garage and its not good for it in the long run.......

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
GT3FZS (10-14-2021), Nixin (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 06:42 PM
james280
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow... I thought I was reasonably up to date on the latest automotive news and trends - I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never even heard of the Lucid Air. Thanks for the mention, now I know who they are.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:31 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I'm in a similar situation I never thought I'd be in; going down this rabbit hole of considering selling my 991 because of a special blend of current market values, recognition of how I don't really use my 911 as I should to justify the severe drop off in comfort vs my daily driver Audi S4, and some limited appeal of some new vehicles that would offset any additional "market adjustments" for the next thing I'd want to buy (namely Audi RS5, BMW M2 CS, and base RWD Taycan).

I considered the Taycan, and drove one on a track just last week (in a limited capacity). It's a very fun car, especially if you don't intend to do anything track-related; a realistic alternative to your 991 and you'd probably get just as much if not more enjoyment out of it from a driving dynamics perspective on the street. The "range anxiety" is probably overblown with the driving habits you describe, unless you're not mentioning frequent long trips as someone else pointed out earlier.

Where I've personally landed (for now), is to just drive my 911 more- or possibly even trade for another 911 with PDK, as crazy as that sounds.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:23 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Do you often take long road trips with the family where you need a range greater than ~200 miles? If not, than the Taycan would be a viable option for the "Family car". Sell the Truck & BMW...... Buy a Taycan for Family use, and drive the 911 to work.

If you need a Family vehicle for long range trips, then you will need to keep either the Truck or the BMW, yet you don't need both. The bottom line is start Driving your 911 as a daily driver to work & around town! Its just losing value sitting there in the garage and its not good for it in the long run.......

We don't really do much distance driving--perhaps the longest distances would typically be from Seattle --> Vancouver BC, that is before the border freeze...

The truck is pretty invaluable, as I do use the truck bed for hauling around mtn bikes, lumber, bark, etc... hence my flyer on the Rivian R1T. And everything I've seen on the web about that truck seems to indicate it's the real deal.

As for the 991 sitting in the garage losing value, etc..., I do all the necessary maintenance including periodically driving it, over-inflate tires/tire savers, battery tender, use non-ethanol gas & fuel stabilizer, etc... remarkably, at $110k buy-back, I've only lost ~$20k in purchase price over 6 years, so not too bad!
Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm in a similar situation I never thought I'd be in; going down this rabbit hole of considering selling my 991 because of a special blend of current market values, recognition of how I don't really use my 911 as I should to justify the severe drop off in comfort vs my daily driver Audi S4, and some limited appeal of some new vehicles that would offset any additional "market adjustments" for the next thing I'd want to buy (namely Audi RS5, BMW M2 CS, and base RWD Taycan).

I considered the Taycan, and drove one on a track just last week (in a limited capacity). It's a very fun car, especially if you don't intend to do anything track-related; a realistic alternative to your 991 and you'd probably get just as much if not more enjoyment out of it from a driving dynamics perspective on the street. The "range anxiety" is probably overblown with the driving habits you describe, unless you're not mentioning frequent long trips as someone else pointed out earlier.

Where I've personally landed (for now), is to just drive my 911 more- or possibly even trade for another 911 with PDK, as crazy as that sounds.
Yeah, I hear you. I would daily the 991, but I've just found that I prefer to get into a plush truck or BMW w/ air suspension much more desirable when I'm commuting from A to B. Don't get me wrong, I still feel special putting around in my 991, but those times are much less than before...
Old 10-13-2021, 12:29 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Originally Posted by james280
Wow... I thought I was reasonably up to date on the latest automotive news and trends - I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never even heard of the Lucid Air. Thanks for the mention, now I know who they are.
It's basically the competitor to Tesla Model S, but is theoretically more geared toward 'luxury' whatever that means (as if a car >$100k shouldn't be luxury as standard). It does boast some pretty amazing specs, but they've yet to roll out any to a customer. And the looks, at least in pics, are pretty generic future car-ish...
Old 10-13-2021, 08:48 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Just do this because it is badass.... and no you wont be saving any money lol...
Freedom mode....
and offroad the sucker.....

Last edited by snake eyes; 10-13-2021 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
drsubie (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 04:41 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

So you're aware, I get ~300 mile range on my Taycan with the + battery. I LOVE that thing and it's the best 4-door daily driver except maybe an EQS - but haven't experienced one yet. (Tayacn wins on styling)
drsubie (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 05:58 PM
dilmorecg
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When did you put your preorder for the Rivian? Consensus over at the Rivain forum is that its going to be end of 2022 if you did it recently. We have a deposit in for the R1S Launch Edition and am patiently excited for it. All the initial reviews for the R1T look good and I may end up trading my Raptor for one down the road.

If it was me I would just keep the BMW and 991 and trade the truck when you can. According to the specs the R1T will be faster than any of your current vehicles and faster than the Y.
drsubie (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 07:06 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Originally Posted by dilmorecg
When did you put your preorder for the Rivian? Consensus over at the Rivain forum is that its going to be end of 2022 if you did it recently. We have a deposit in for the R1S Launch Edition and am patiently excited for it. All the initial reviews for the R1T look good and I may end up trading my Raptor for one down the road.

If it was me I would just keep the BMW and 991 and trade the truck when you can. According to the specs the R1T will be faster than any of your current vehicles and faster than the Y.
I did it about 1m ago, so I guess it'll be 1 yr wait for me

My current angst for timing of trading in (any) of my cars is FOMO--fear of missing out selling back while used car values are 'hot', though I realize it may only be a few thousand here or there...

I do love the look of the Taycan X-turismo, and realize Porsche is conservative on range estimates, but fear of spending so much only to have them put out a 300+ mi range variant in the coming future has me leery...

Good advice though!
Old 10-13-2021, 11:01 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Or just sit tight.

Whenever I hear about anyone with multiple vehicles (I have a 2020 BMW X3 and 440i convertible) thinking of selling the 911, I say if you're thinking about selling it, then you don't love it, so sell it. Period. I've been offered stupid money for my 2017 991.2 base. Don't care , not selling it. If you have to ask, you've answered your question. Move on, a shrink would say you're looking for affirmation.

Last edited by The Ox; 10-13-2021 at 11:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by The Ox:
asellus (10-13-2021), GT3FZS (10-14-2021), polobai (10-13-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 02:03 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Ox
Whenever I hear about anyone with multiple vehicles (I have a 2020 BMW X3 and 440i convertible) thinking of selling the 911, I say if you're thinking about selling it, then you don't love it, so sell it. Period. I've been offered stupid money for my 2017 991.2 base. Don't care , not selling it. If you have to ask, you've answered your question. Move on, a shrink would say you're looking for affirmation.
I won't necessarily disagree with you there...

Quick Reply: Auto advice needed