Sponsored by:

Cobb Access Port - California DMV

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 01:24 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Cobb Access Port - California DMV

This thread is just for the folks that live in the Peoples Republic of California:

If you live in California you are well aware of how Draconian the California DMV is when it comes to any type of tuning. In the last 6 months they have tightened up their software and are attacking after market tunes. I'm considering purchasing a Cobb Access Port. Cobb has made it clear that currently their Porsche tunes are not CARB legal. Cobb does have the ability to remove their tune and flash back to the stock tune.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has a Cobb tune that has gone through their bi-annul smog requirement in the past 6 months. Did you leave the Cobb tune in place or did you re-flash to stock? Did you make it through without getting flagged?

I have 2 other vehicles that are not CARB legal and the effort to get past the smog requirement is expensive and a pain in the butt. I do not want to add a third vehicle into that cycle.

Feedback appreciated.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:25 PM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I live in the Peoples Republic of California and have used cobb and other tuners in the past.

So Cobb is a flash tune, so when it comes time to smog, you'll fail unless you flash it back to the stock map. I personally wouldnt risk it, and recommend uninstalling cobb completely which is very simple.

Where is gets tricky is if you add aftermarket performance parts that are not CARB legal such as downpipes. There are still ways to get around it, anywhere from relocating o2 sensors to using a "crooked smog guy". You can also uninstall the parts but It becomes a real headache to be honest. But you have to pay to play.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:16 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

i have a 17 w Cobb stage 1, believe its 8 yrs till first check,(2025)ill start worrying about it then
Old 10-02-2021, 09:20 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Originally Posted by moswissa
I live in the Peoples Republic of California and have used cobb and other tuners in the past.

So Cobb is a flash tune, so when it comes time to smog, you'll fail unless you flash it back to the stock map. I personally wouldnt risk it, and recommend uninstalling cobb completely which is very simple.

Where is gets tricky is if you add aftermarket performance parts that are not CARB legal such as downpipes. There are still ways to get around it, anywhere from relocating o2 sensors to using a "crooked smog guy". You can also uninstall the parts but It becomes a real headache to be honest. But you have to pay to play.
That's my question: Have you loaded the Cobb tune and then re-flashed back to stock and passed smog?

100% agree if you start playing with Cat's or any part of the emission control system the new DMV software is likely going to flag you. Am not going down that road with the TTS. As I mentioned I already have 2 vehicles that do require creative planning to get by smog every two years.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:59 PM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
That's my question: Have you loaded the Cobb tune and then re-flashed back to stock and passed smog?

100% agree if you start playing with Cat's or any part of the emission control system the new DMV software is likely going to flag you. Am not going down that road with the TTS. As I mentioned I already have 2 vehicles that do require creative planning to get by smog every two years.
if you uninstall cobb, youll pass smog. Its not going to raise a red flag if thats what you are asking
Old 10-02-2021, 11:20 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

I don’t live in the PRoC but I do enjoy a good show. Too bad you can’t register somewhere else, like in Montana. I know RVrs that do. Nice driving up there too.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:09 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Originally Posted by moswissa
if you uninstall cobb, youll pass smog. Its not going to raise a red flag if thats what you are asking
Yes, that is the question I'm asking.

Within the past year or so DMV updated their software to be able to better flag tunes. By re-flashing to stock the Cobb tune should be unseen and not flagged. I'm just asking the Rennlist community if that is actually what is happening. I've been around enough not to assume it should work vs. what is actually happening.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:48 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I think there’s a bit of unjustified hysteria here. APR’s VW/Audi tunes are apparently exempt from the CARB prohibition: https://documents.goapr.com/d-783-3.pdf

How would DMV systems know that the ECU has an APR tune? Based the exemption, it sounds like they will continue to just test emissions for unexpected values.

Perhaps it’s just a matter of “normal” mode having a map that passes emissions for all the stage 3 folks.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:02 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tosha
I think there’s a bit of unjustified hysteria here. APR’s VW/Audi tunes are apparently exempt from the CARB prohibition: https://documents.goapr.com/d-783-3.pdf

How would DMV systems know that the ECU has an APR tune? Based the exemption, it sounds like they will continue to just test emissions for unexpected values.

Perhaps it’s just a matter of “normal” mode having a map that passes emissions for all the stage 3 folks.
Actually, APR has been removing tons of SKU’s/products that eliminate CEL’s or disable emissions/O2’s - lots of their Audi/VW customers have been up in a tizzy after APR completely removed and stopped supporting Stage 2 software.

Long story short, APR being owned by a large umbrella company (under Dinan, Holley, B&M, and other major brands), they are too big to be out of compliance. The EPA can and will fine them stupid amounts for the sale of any device that violates emissions tampering.

Now, they are slowly but surely going after the smaller shops and destroying the aftermarket industry as we know it. Those shops can’t afford to pay $12-15k fines for EVERY device they sell that allows you to “tune and modify” emission systems.

This draconian BS was put in place by the Trump administration - I’m not from Cali, but CARB has always had its own set of rules for decades. Just an FYI before the uninformed start to point to “the libs” for this. This dumbass didn’t even know what he was signing into law years ago.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
edirtaynine (01-12-2022), GT3FZS (10-04-2021), Jeahbladejeah (10-05-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 03:10 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Actually, APR has been removing tons of SKU’s/products that eliminate CEL’s or disable emissions/O2’s - lots of their Audi/VW customers have been up in a tizzy after APR completely removed and stopped supporting Stage 2 software.

Long story short, APR being owned by a large umbrella company (under Dinan, Holley, B&M, and other major brands), they are too big to be out of compliance. The EPA can and will fine them stupid amounts for the sale of any device that violates emissions tampering.

Now, they are slowly but surely going after the smaller shops and destroying the aftermarket industry as we know it. Those shops can’t afford to pay $12-15k fines for EVERY device they sell that allows you to “tune and modify” emission systems.

This draconian BS was put in place by the Trump administration - I’m not from Cali, but CARB has always had its own set of rules for decades. Just an FYI before the uninformed start to point to “the libs” for this. This dumbass didn’t even know what he was signing into law years ago.
dumbass kinda sums it up(flame suit on)
The following 3 users liked this post by barncobob:
AlexZTuned (10-04-2021), Bud Taylor (01-13-2022), GT3FZS (10-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 03:57 PM
mrneef
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok here it goes, play by play from a new Porsche owner but not new to tuning cars.

Purchased an out of state 991.2 GTS 8/20/21. I purchased Cobb AP instantly and installed it all giddy while waiting for the paperwork from the out of state dealer. Realizing I need to do a VIN verification and smog still. I removed the Cobb tune and brought it in the next day to get smog tested. Guess what? FAILED. The sensors were not in 'ready mode.' Was told to go "drive it for 100 miles without the AC blah blah to reset it." Well I did that, took it in few days later. Had the tech test for 'readiness' and low and behold it wasn't. If you guys dont know, readiness is the state of your sensors to be smogged. Was told to "drive it around for 500 miles." Well, who has time for that.

I found online the "proper" way to get it in 'Ready Mode' which was driving at certain speeds for certain time in various ways. Took it in to the same guy who checked the first time for 'Readiness' and it was all good to be tested.

Tested and passed. $40.

After I passed I installed the entire KLINE set up and most likely will pay to have it removed and reinstalled every few years.

Side note. EPA has called this "going after low hanging fruit" to fund other areas of their agency.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:44 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrneef
Ok here it goes, play by play from a new Porsche owner but not new to tuning cars.

Purchased an out of state 991.2 GTS 8/20/21. I purchased Cobb AP instantly and installed it all giddy while waiting for the paperwork from the out of state dealer. Realizing I need to do a VIN verification and smog still. I removed the Cobb tune and brought it in the next day to get smog tested. Guess what? FAILED. The sensors were not in 'ready mode.' Was told to go "drive it for 100 miles without the AC blah blah to reset it." Well I did that, took it in few days later. Had the tech test for 'readiness' and low and behold it wasn't. If you guys dont know, readiness is the state of your sensors to be smogged. Was told to "drive it around for 500 miles." Well, who has time for that.

I found online the "proper" way to get it in 'Ready Mode' which was driving at certain speeds for certain time in various ways. Took it in to the same guy who checked the first time for 'Readiness' and it was all good to be tested.

Tested and passed. $40.

After I passed I installed the entire KLINE set up and most likely will pay to have it removed and reinstalled every few years.

Side note. EPA has called this "going after low hanging fruit" to fund other areas of their agency.
Perfect! This is the type of reply I was looking for. Your dialog is very valuable and you answered my question, the current DMV CARB is not sophisticated to the point where it will pick up that a tune was present but now it has been removed and re-flashed to stock. I was 90% sure this was the case but wanted to hear from someone that has gone through the process.

The sensors not in ready mode error has been around for some time and it's good to know that this can be resolved at the local smog station. The other fear was this error may have called for DMV to flag the car for a Referee Review. The fact that it did not is a major relief.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-05-2021, 01:08 AM
Dark_horse
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
Perfect! This is the type of reply I was looking for. Your dialog is very valuable and you answered my question, the current DMV CARB is not sophisticated to the point where it will pick up that a tune was present but now it has been removed and re-flashed to stock. I was 90% sure this was the case but wanted to hear from someone that has gone through the process.

The sensors not in ready mode error has been around for some time and it's good to know that this can be resolved at the local smog station. The other fear was this error may have called for DMV to flag the car for a Referee Review. The fact that it did not is a major relief.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
It wouldn’t matter if a car was tuned and then reflashed back to stock and then taken in to get the smog done. They have to give you the opportunity to fix which ever problem was present when the car failed and then take it back and have the smog done. This is true for any part that fails during a smog test so a tune would be the same thing.

No one will make you throw away a car just because it was once tuned. Just reflash and have the smog done.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:22 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

While CARB has the checksums on just about everything (apparently they’ve been collecting the data for years), they are being selective in which models they check. Probably going after the coal rolllers primarily, and rightly so. Of course no one really knows which, so it’s a no brainer to flash back to stock if you can. The biggest headache will be those who have swapped injectors or other stuff that won’t run properly on a stock tune.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:28 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 382 Posts

Definitely a bit of hysteria here.

The CA DMV has been doing readiness monitor checks for years. Solution is always flash back to stock. If you are modded, you should consider a simple approach:
- flash ECU to stock
- if you have hardware mods, either try your luck on passing visual or just be prepared to put the stock parts back on.

Last year had "a friend" who had to smog with hardware and software mods. Flashed ECU to stock but with upgraded injectors scaled. Passed visual. Passed OBDII checksum and readiness check. Did not have to go to plan b: full restoration to stock. YMMV depending on car, mods and smog shop.

If you want to mod, be prepared to deal with it.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10-05-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Cobb Access Port - California DMV