Sponsored by:

Frunk randomly opening overnight

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 01:14 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
That thing looks like it's on the CAN bus. (Not sure if you are familiar, but CAN (controller area network) is a very heavily used industry standard in Germany for automotive buses / communications. Please forgive me if you know this already; I only say that to explain this comment

Can you locate the FECU and unplug then reseat the CAN bus connector? Might be just a bit of carbon build up or other schmutz on the connector pins. Be an idea to hose it all down with some contact cleaner while you have it apart.
...I just bought another can of the stuff!... so I guess I'll be able to put it to good use if I can access it. Looks a bit buried but maybe not horrible?
Old 09-28-2021, 02:37 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Back to the battery for just a second, a zero-cost check on condition (I know, your guy said it was ok, but still) is to observe the start up voltage when the key is first turned on overnight? You'll need to add Battery Voltage to the Multi-function display.

I can say that my OEM Banner 80 Ah (prod: 04/17) was giving me 11.4-11.6V after four years service when I checked it a few months ago. I decided to replace it with a 92Ah Duracell from Batteries Plus, and now I routinely see 12.2-12.4V just before hitting "start".

Just something else that you can check/confirm/eliminate. I do find German cars in particular seem afflicted with weird electrical gremlins when the service battery is on its way out, and while I'm not sure it's the case here, it is an easy data point to obtain while thinking of what to do next.
The following users liked this post:
cmorales954 (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 03:37 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Back to the battery for just a second, a zero-cost check on condition (I know, your guy said it was ok, but still) is to observe the start up voltage when the key is first turned on overnight? You'll need to add Battery Voltage to the Multi-function display.

I can say that my OEM Banner 80 Ah (prod: 04/17) was giving me 11.4-11.6V after four years service when I checked it a few months ago. I decided to replace it with a 92Ah Duracell from Batteries Plus, and now I routinely see 12.2-12.4V just before hitting "start".

Just something else that you can check/confirm/eliminate. I do find German cars in particular seem afflicted with weird electrical gremlins when the service battery is on its way out, and while I'm not sure it's the case here, it is an easy data point to obtain while thinking of what to do next.
I've got a full load-based tester I can bring over to try, as well -- thank you for the suggestion! I want to say my charges have looked healthy, however. I have a boat as well and monitoring battery performance is even MORE important (I learned the hard way on my first boat, with a dead battery when 7 miles offshore!), so I am used to wiring those up and keeping tabs on their health.

Last edited by cmorales954; 09-28-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Rich_Jenkins (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 08:32 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Hook up a battery maintainer for the next week or so.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:53 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmorales954
I've got a full load-based tester I can bring over to try, as well -- thank you for the suggestion! I want to say my charges have looked healthy, however. I have a boat as well and monitoring battery performance is even MORE important (I learned the hard way on my first boat, with a dead battery when 7 miles offshore!), so I am used to wiring those up and keeping tabs on their health.
Getting 12.2v before cranking, but after it has sat for ~6-8 hours, so I just don't think its the battery.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:16 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Isn't opening our frunk at night is a good thing.. lol
Old 09-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

I know that before cranking, some computers have already fired up and depleted the charge, but 12.2 isn't as fantastic as you think.
The one time my battery took a dump, the frunk and the driver door unlocked themselves too! I thought that was a safety feature, maybe it's just luck.
Is it unzipping its fly when you are driving and the alternator is giving you 14V ? I bet not. It does it at night at lowest voltage.

I *just* measured my battery voltage at the connector I installed outside the frunk to recharge it easily (just for you, and it's chilly outside, nipples poking thru my shirt, please appreciate the effort) -> 13.2V (antigravity)....

So I *still* think it's your battery. I know you said yours was tested, but how? mine was tested twice also: it showed good on an old tech tester, but once I took it out of the car and it was disconnected, a "solar" brand quality tester that measures CCA showed it has lost 250 CCA of its origical 800CCA and returned a "bad" state despite more or less OK voltage. All this to say there are testers, and then there are better testers... And low voltage did the same to me. Maybe, before you spend your life chasing wiring issues, you do try a *new & fully charged* battery that can be returned? if it pops on THAT then you know for sure. If not you'll need a battery soon enough anyway. Basic troubleshooting, start with the simple stuff. Still putting my $ on battery, the 991 is a battery hog and does strange stuff on lower charges.

PS; Another possible test for ya: connect pigtails to your battery that stick out of the frunk by the windshield (good for plugging in to a maintainer). Plug it to a maintainer overnight. See if it popped in the AM (bet it does not). You do have a battery maintainer right ?

Last edited by Greg D.; 09-30-2021 at 12:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg D.:
cmorales954 (09-30-2021), Rich_Jenkins (09-30-2021), TwinTurbo420 (10-17-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:01 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.

I know before cranking some computers have already fired up and depleted the charge, but 12.2 isn't as fantastic as you think.
The one time my battery took a dump, the frunk and the doors unlocked ! I thought that was a safety feature, maybe it's just luck.
I *just* measured my battery at the connector outside the frunk (just for you, it's chilly outside, appreciate the effort) -> 13.2V (antigravity)....
So I still think it's your battery (could be wrong). Mine was tested twice, once it showed good (old tech tester), once on a solar tester it showed it has lost 250 CCA. All this to say there are testers and there are testers...
haha... thank you for braving the cold

I live in a warm environment (mid florida, with mornings already in the 70s) so that should be considered as well.

The car is scheduled to go back to the shop next Wednesday for minor items. I can ask them to double check the health. Ill also try on my own tester this weekend.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:54 PM
ChrisW991.1S
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So mine did this to me recently under different conditions (when coming to a stop while driving) but it ended up being the key fob battery. I'd go ahead and replace the fob battery if you haven't already. Weird... I know!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:02 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

PS; Another possible test for ya: connect pigtails to your battery that stick out of the frunk by the windshield (good for plugging in to a maintainer). Plug it to a maintainer overnight. See if it popped in the AM (bet it does not). You do have a battery maintainer right ?
I like this idea.

Another option: If you have a can of compressed air, and you can locate the FECU, take the can and shoot it for 20-30s at the FECU. The air will get extremely cool by that point. The thing is, any semi-conductor array in the electronics of the FECU, which is sketchy due to temperature (as in, overnight?) might be affected by the cooling. This is just another trial thing you can do; besides whacking things with a mallet, was part of the usual approach for trying to work out why certain of the components in my cabinets (long story, I'm out of the Aerospace biz) did/did not work.

If the FECU trips the frunk while it's cooled this way, chances are you've confirmed it as the issue.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:16 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisW991.1S
So mine did this to me recently under different conditions (when coming to a stop while driving) but it ended up being the key fob battery. I'd go ahead and replace the fob battery if you haven't already. Weird... I know!
Literally first thing I did when I got it was swap the FOB batteries so we should be good there.

I'll try that tonight; I have an AGM-approved battery maintainer. When driving the voltage shows 14.6. I briefly checked the outside of the existing battery and couldnt find a date on it. I'll check closer this weekend. I also checked the system with an icarsoft and couldnt find previous battery details.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:12 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmorales954
I briefly checked the outside of the existing battery and couldnt find a date on it. I'll check closer this weekend. I also checked the system with an icarsoft and couldnt find previous battery details.
FWIW, on my 17 C2, the OEM Banner 80 Ah battery installed by the factory was stamped with the month (14) over the year (17) of production in one of the terminals; this is what it looked like:

Old 09-30-2021, 04:41 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Mine isn't the OEM battery; it got replaced at some point by AAA with the original owner. It's an AGM and 'only' 70ah. Need to dig around more cause there was no obvious stamp/sticker when I took a photo of the top of it.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:22 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

FWIW, on my 17 C2, the OEM Banner 80 Ah battery installed by the factory was stamped with the month (14) over the year (17) of production in one of the terminals; this is what it looked like:
It was recently pointed out to me that the stamping on the battery post is the week and year of manufacture, not the month and year. Otherwise, my battery was manufactured after I took delivery of my car.

Agree with Rich on all other points. I too suspect the battery.

DaveGee
Rich_Jenkins (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:33 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Took a multimeter directly to the battery this evening after the car sat for about 1.5hrs; coming in at 12.55. Put a battery tender on it anyways and will see what it reads in the morning.

Quick Reply: Frunk randomly opening overnight