Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T Passes 35,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021 | 10:53 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alc
That’s 2 Carrera Ts with significant engine issues in less than a week! That doesn’t bode well for such a low production trim.

you had mention there is a coolant leak above, have they figured that one out?

The other one sounds like allegedly poor workmanship by the service department of a US Porsche dealership to be fair - failing to re-secure bolts?

They plan to carry on investigating my coolant leak when the engine is out...
The following users liked this post:
S S (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021 | 07:50 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alc
That’s 2 Carrera Ts with significant engine issues in less than a week! That doesn’t bode well for such a low production trim.

you had mention there is a coolant leak above, have they figured that one out?
That's Chicken Littling... Dealer messing up a service and forgetting some bolts is a sample of one. Not to mention, we don't know the mileage, just that he was in for a 50k service, that could be based on time...
This turbo issue isn't limited to the T if you drive your car year round, in a place with seasons (read road treatments) and leave it outside, this stuff happens... The water pump issue has largely been fixed in the .2 by the time they got around to producing our cars. There have been a few Ts I've seen with some pink fluid drama, but not near the numbers in the earlier years.
Don't mess with the T.

The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021 | 09:47 AM
Alc
Racer

To be frank no one really knows what’s going on with that motor on the other forum, the guy only has one dealer against another with no true diagnosis other than the motor needs to be replaced…maybe. The T, IMO, is being driven percentage-wise more often and harder than other Carreras (as intended). We are finding weak points that exist in all Carreras. The wastegate was a new one to me before Wing CC brought it up, but is apparently throughout the 991.2 and Porsche came up with a fix. The non-water pump leak does interest me though since the water pump is the usual culprit. I own a T and am not messing with the T but I’m also closely following issues that are arising within this model because it’s similar in so many ways to the other Carreras but also very different. As people drive, modify these cars, and place more stress on the turbos and engine I’m sure we’ll learn even more.

it’s also interesting to see the small differences in MY. For example the cover on the wastegate for the 2019s but not in 2018s. Also that the X51 kit was only available for the <2018 CS but not 2019. Perhaps this is one of those reasons why and going with the APR turbo upgrade removes this cover hence increasing potential long term turbo replacement.

the T is my forever Porsche so if I can identify known issues early and fixes I plan on implementing those. I have no interest in other Porsches for long term ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alc:
S S (10-30-2021), Wing Commander (09-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Carrera T Passes 35,000 Miles