Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 03:08 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Unhappy Is My Seat Motor “Going Bad?”

I had posted: “Storing Personal Settings - not working anymore” 11-2020

Porsche said: Somehow, seat memory lost calibration”
Fix was for me to Reset by moving the seat all the way in every single direction. It was time consuming & then I had to find my position for all those 14 way adjustments.

Then 6-2021 I posted: “Trigger Loss of Seat Memory?”
I again had to do the long reset procedure.

Today, the seat “went crazy!”

I was driving and suddenly my seat moved FW, by itself, a few inches! Did not do this smoothly. Rather in a few ‘spurts.’ As I wondered WTF just happened, the seat started moving BACKWARD & kept going till my feet could barely reach the pedals.

I found a place to pull off the road.

I tried pressing seat memory #1 button & it did move back to correct position but, immediately moved way back again!

I played around with it, shutting off ignition, opening door & restarting engine, etc.

I finally got it Into a position (not my memorized position) where I could drive it & I drove home.

I have a voice mail in to my Porsche SA.

I do not want to merely do the reset procedure & spend lots of time finding & storing my ideal seat, mirror & steering wheel preferred settings again, bc I think something like this will happen again.

Some mechanical part needs replacement.
Seat motor?
Some module?

Any suggestions appreciated.
(2019 C2S, still under factory warranty.)
Old 09-11-2021, 09:23 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
I had posted: “Storing Personal Settings - not working anymore” 11-2020

Porsche said: Somehow, seat memory lost calibration”
Fix was for me to Reset by moving the seat all the way in every single direction. It was time consuming & then I had to find my position for all those 14 way adjustments.

Then 6-2021 I posted: “Trigger Loss of Seat Memory?”
I again had to do the long reset procedure.

Today, the seat “went crazy!”

I was driving and suddenly my seat moved FW, by itself, a few inches! Did not do this smoothly. Rather in a few ‘spurts.’ As I wondered WTF just happened, the seat started moving BACKWARD & kept going till my feet could barely reach the pedals.

I found a place to pull off the road.

I tried pressing seat memory #1 button & it did move back to correct position but, immediately moved way back again!

I played around with it, shutting off ignition, opening door & restarting engine, etc.

I finally got it Into a position (not my memorized position) where I could drive it & I drove home.

I have a voice mail in to my Porsche SA.

I do not want to merely do the reset procedure & spend lots of time finding & storing my ideal seat, mirror & steering wheel preferred settings again, bc I think something like this will happen again.

Some mechanical part needs replacement.
Seat motor?
Some module?

Any suggestions appreciated.
(2019 C2S, still under factory warranty.)
I’m not an expert here but I would start with thinking maybe the battery might need replaced. I know many odd things can happen as the battery starts to degrade. Seems premature for a 19 but it really depends on how the battery has been treated and there’s still bad batteries out there from the get go. Other than that I would think there is a update procedure the dealer can do that would probably hit the seat board. Dealers frequently have updates for many modules of the vehicle but they don’t really update the vehicles unless there is a need/problem because it takes time.

Last edited by smgkc; 09-11-2021 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TwinTurbo420 (10-15-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:34 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Sounds like the switch pack is hoopajooped. Could be munched up wires/connections under the seat, too. Adjust the seat to the highest, most forward position it can go to, and get under the back of it and look for any damage.

Given it's a 2019 and under factory warranty though, just take it in to the dealer and let them deal with it. Let us know what they find.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:38 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

might want to also hedge by finding a old priest and a young priest....

this doesn't seem to be motor gone back but rather signal going into the motors (0.02)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:11 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Finally had my Appt. wi Porsche Service. Last Monday. My concern had been that it would not exhibit the intermittent problem during the test drive & the tech would merely do a reset, which I know would not fix it.
Over the past weeks since this began, It did the movement on almost every drive.Often 2-3 times. I learned to quickly press door button #1 to stop the seat from moving & press & hold to achieve my saved driving position.

Luckily last weekend, b4 my appt., I accidentally discovered how to trigger the malfunction. Open driver door, car is off & key in my pocket (I have entry & drive) W/o sitting in car, press down fairly hard with my fist on the driver L bolster or the seat bottom. This triggered the seat to move! Sometimes only a few inches & other times It would move fully FW & then fully backwards!

I demonstrated this to the shop foreman who seemed amazed by it! He took a video of it on his phone.

They fixed it by the next day.
Replaced the switch seat. (The entire silver control on the left side of seat)
1 P/N: 7PP-959-747-AA-DMN switch, seat
4 P/N: 947-007-483-00 Outer Hexagon RO

(IDK what the Outer Hexagon RO is.)

I had asked them to top off coolant while car was there.
Today I checked & they did as I asked but, new problem:
The rear Engine Lid no longer stays up!
I made an appt. for November to replace the struts.
I was told that is a common failure when weather gets cold. Same with Front Frunk Lid struts.

I will make sure my Frunk struts are working perfectly a few months b4 warranty expires.

Quick Reply: Is My Seat Motor “Going Bad?”