Sponsored by:

Fault Engine Control after changing Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 10:28 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Fault Engine Control after changing Throttle Body

Experiencing a FAULT ENGINE CONTROL error code yesterday after changing the throttle body on my 2014 991.1 C2S. I started the car up last night while the rear was still open just in case I forgot to hook up something and the car started right up, idled fine and didn’t have an error message.
I then reinstalled the complete rear bumper, rechecked oil level, etc. and then started cleaning the car.
Today, after I dropped it off the Quickjack, I started it up and the Fault error appeared. I had previously done the TB rest procedure. I then disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, reconnected and started only to have the same error appear.
The old adage, taught to me by my former mentor in business, holds true once again….’The cause of every problem is a change.’ The only thing I changed was the TB.
Any ideas other than a visit to my favorite dealer?
Thanks Guys.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:49 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Double check all connections-plugs secured correctly, nothing left off, etc.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:21 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Double check all connections-plugs secured correctly, nothing left off, etc.
I only took one connector off the throttle body which is secure and the only other two connectors were at the air box assembly, along with two vacuum lines, which I secured when closing up the rear bumper. No other connectors were required to be taken apart except for the spoiler connection, rear fans, tail lights and bumper harness plug and none of these would throw an engine control fault.
Does the throttle body have to adapt over a certain driving period?
Old 09-05-2021, 12:20 AM
polobai
Drifting

My guess is possibly knocking a vacuum line loose to one of the covs? What code is it?
Old 09-05-2021, 12:32 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

No code known as I don’t have a service tool to read codes. The display reads ‘FAULT ENGINE CONTROL, OK TO DRIVE ON’
I was very careful dismantling the air box assembly so I could have access to the throttle body. Where might the nearest COV be located relative to these components?
Old 09-05-2021, 10:48 AM
polobai
Drifting

The Covs work on engine vacuum-so any vacuum line in the vicinity that could have been knocked loose can cause it. May be with it to get a cheaper obd2 scanner to read basic codes-if not try taking it to the parts store where they will scan it and provide the code free of charge.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:34 AM
uphoto
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 134 Posts

Shoot, I think my reader is tied to my VIN but we could try it if you want? Not sure if it would help anyway since I can’t imagine it being anything other than a vacuum related issue.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

I know when you change the throttle body you need to reset the throttle body position. You can either do it with a PIWIS or there is a sequence where you turn the ignition on for 30 seconds BEFORE starting the car.

Clear the code and try that first. I will be swapping my throttle body too, once my new part comes next week.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:41 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Default Update

As the supplier of the Throttle Body had told me, Soler Performance, it was only an ECU relearn condition and nothing more. I shipped the car back East to PA shortly after I changed the TB and made the first post and when it came off the trailer the fault message still showed on the cluster. After a few runs, over a two day period, the message has cleared and the car runs perfectly, no codes, no fault messaging.
It seems that the std TB reset procedure only does one thing but the ECU relearn seems to set everything in motion for running right.
I had the same issues each time I did an ECU tune modification, a period of 150k for all systems to get back in sync. Technology, you gotta luv it!!
Thanks to all for the input.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (09-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Fault Engine Control after changing Throttle Body