Old 08-31-2021, 05:38 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default I hate Porsche Navigation

Typical example today:
I wanted directions to 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85032

For State, I entered AZ & then selected Phoenix for City
Next option was street & I tapped the numbers button & tried to enter 32nd St. but despite several re-entering all the above, never got a prompt or field to enter the house number. Navigation wanted to navigate to just 32nd Street in Phoenix which is a very long street & useless for my desired destination.

I even attempted voice control but that was worse than useless.

I ended up using my Android phone & just speaking: “Navigate to 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85032”

So much easier.

The Porsche backwards requirement of; State. City, Street & finally house number is problematic when you do not know if destination is street, Avenue, Lane, Boulevard, circle, way, etc.

If you were able to start with house number & then street it would be correct in most cases since the street/Ave/lane issue would likley be solved for you.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:05 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Yeah, this was one of the driving reasons to enable android auto on my PCM4.
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
enzotcat (09-07-2021), koala (09-07-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:29 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

People have been complaining about Porsche Nav for years! Welcome to the dubious club.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
0luke1 (09-02-2021), ICU991812 (09-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:37 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Older BMW navigation is the same. It's funny, but mainstream brands like Honda, Toyota, even Ford have been way quicker to adopt newer communication systems and protocols than the Germans. The CarPlay integration in my wife's Odyssey minivan is excellent.

The Germans seem to be more focused on system integrations; can-bus comes to mind. Why just engineer something when you can OVER-engineer it instead!?!
Old 08-31-2021, 12:02 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
People have been complaining about Porsche Nav for years! Welcome to the dubious club.
Dubious clubs are the best clubs.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:28 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

never use it, if i dont know where im going i dont go...get it on google
Old 08-31-2021, 01:39 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Typical example today:
I wanted directions to 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85032

For State, I entered AZ & then selected Phoenix for City
Next option was street & I tapped the numbers button & tried to enter 32nd St. but despite several re-entering all the above, never got a prompt or field to enter the house number. Navigation wanted to navigate to just 32nd Street in Phoenix which is a very long street & useless for my desired destination.

I even attempted voice control but that was worse than useless.

I ended up using my Android phone & just speaking: “Navigate to 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85032”

So much easier.

The Porsche backwards requirement of; State. City, Street & finally house number is problematic when you do not know if destination is street, Avenue, Lane, Boulevard, circle, way, etc.

If you were able to start with house number & then street it would be correct in most cases since the street/Ave/lane issue would likley be solved for you.

agreed. i have used a lot of different types of user interfaces and the PCM 3.1 nav is particularly non-intuitive and frustrating.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:47 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Last night I sat in my 911 in the garage & with the ignition on but, car not running I slowly experimented with Navigation.
I have a MY2019.
I wanted to see if I could enter address numbers 1st & then street…etc.
With difficulty, several stop & go back & try again…I finally was able to enter house # 1st & then street (key was to enter 3…2…n…d…s…t
And then city & state & it worked!

Not sure I will be able to remember how to do it when in the car & have a new destination.

There were many ‘wrong’ choices that sent you down an incorrect path.

Tempting shortcut choices.

You want: “32nd St.”
So, you tap the numbers button & enter ‘3’ & then ‘2’ & suddenly you are presented with ‘helpful’ shortcuts to select. This always ends in failure in my experience. I only succeeded when I ignored these & manually entered n…d…s…t. So finally had “32nd St.” Then I think I tapped city & after typing a few letters for Phoenix I was able to take the shortcut & select “Phoenix.” I think at that point it displayed the exact address I had been slowly working for.

I next tried the same in my MY2016 Macan. No luck. I was unable to enter number 1st street 2nd.
I could NOT enter the entire #, WTF? Got as far as 1840 & then no option for entering more #s. I think it has a different state or city or both as the default. I then entered city: Phoenix & selected state: AZ & then I think I entered 3…2…n…d…s…t & finally was able to enter the # sequence.

Not at all easy or quick!

2 different PCM software versions & neither had good intuitive navigation.

Another strange thing is once you arrive at a destination (not via Porsche navigation) & decide you want to save it for future use, you have the option to save destination or save position. (I think) Only one of these choices is correct. The other is worthless! I think you must choose save position.
(This may be on my 2016 Macan Navigation, not sure what it is on the 911)

What is the point of that? You have somehow arrived at a destination & want to quickly save it & name it so you can find it in your favorites another time.

Frustrating!

I do not use navigation often.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:14 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Apple CarPlay or the phone is the way to go.
The following 3 users liked this post by CayenneBlack:
0luke1 (09-02-2021), Scott O'Connor (09-02-2021), vanlieremead (09-07-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:36 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneBlack
Apple CarPlay or the phone is the way to go.
^^^ This is the way.

I used that Porsche Nav maybe 2 or 3 times in 8 years because it was so so cumbersome. I installed one of the CarPlay solutions and now have updated maps, traffic, and can actually set a destination. All for less than the prices I've seen for a single map update for the Porsche system.
The following users liked this post:
c615586 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:54 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
^^^ This is the way.

I used that Porsche Nav maybe 2 or 3 times in 8 years because it was so so cumbersome. I installed one of the CarPlay solutions and now have updated maps, traffic, and can actually set a destination. All for less than the prices I've seen for a single map update for the Porsche system.
You make a good point on justifying the install of CarPlay. Those OEM updates are crazy expensive and doesn’t give us any advantage over our phones.

Good thing the 991.2 already has CarPlay.
Scott O'Connor (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default I always have my I-Phone with me...

Having a 991.1, and not willing to attempt to load up Car Play, I just use WAZE......and happily so. If I am too lazy to type the address in to WAZE, I just ask SIRI for directions to wherever.
DoubleDare (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:51 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

In case PCNA or Porsche Germany reads these texts, the navigation in my 2020 Mercedes works great. I do voice entry.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:29 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Having a 991.1, and not willing to attempt to load up Car Play, I just use WAZE......and happily so. If I am too lazy to type the address in to WAZE, I just ask SIRI for directions to wherever.
+1. And Waze gives you the added benefit of often letting you know where the local police have set up shop. Not that you'd need to know that. . .

At least, Waze does that if you aren't running it through Apple CarPlay. In my (admittedly brief) experiments with CarPlay, I couldn't verify that those notices were coming through. . .
Old 09-01-2021, 11:40 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
+1. And Waze gives you the added benefit of often letting you know where the local police have set up shop. Not that you'd need to know that. . .

At least, Waze does that if you aren't running it through Apple CarPlay. In my (admittedly brief) experiments with CarPlay, I couldn't verify that those notices were coming through. . .
They do. The same audio options of all turns, alerts only, or no sound at all are available in CarPlay. A tip: you can adjust volume of waze alerts by using the volume control on your head unit while it is “speaking.”
vanlieremead (09-07-2021)

Quick Reply: I hate Porsche Navigation