Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate Porsche Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 12:03 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Completely agree that Porsche Nav is difficult to use and, compared to less expensive cars, way bad.

I'll go even further and say the entire dash board is a hodge podge of confusing, counter intuitive, and unnecessary gauges and readouts.

I've got 7 gauges on my 911. My M3 has 4

Porsche needs their electronic engineers to get back to basics. And start with the "simple is good" class.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:51 AM
CraigW1
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Typical example today:
I wanted directions to 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85032

For State, I entered AZ & then selected Phoenix for City
Next option was street & I tapped the numbers button & tried to enter 32nd St. but despite several re-entering all the above, never got a prompt or field to enter the house number. Navigation wanted to navigate to just 32nd Street in Phoenix which is a very long street & useless for my desired destination.

I even attempted voice control but that was worse than useless.

I ended up using my Android phone & just speaking: “Navigate to 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85032”

So much easier.

The Porsche backwards requirement of; State. City, Street & finally house number is problematic when you do not know if destination is street, Avenue, Lane, Boulevard, circle, way, etc.

If you were able to start with house number & then street it would be correct in most cases since the street/Ave/lane issue would likley be solved for you.
Like others, I have never used the PCM Nav and use WAZE exclusively. It’s unfortunate Porsche doesn’t support Android auto but you are still better off using your phone.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:46 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Default “ Having a 991.1, and not willing to attempt to load up Car Play”

Trust me, it’s well worth the investment and not that hard to do. I went with the NM Automotive unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott O'Connor:
Lee Turner (09-04-2021), stellman (09-06-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 02:35 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigW1
Like others, I have never used the PCM Nav and use WAZE exclusively. It’s unfortunate Porsche doesn’t support Android auto but you are still better off using your phone.
Obviously none of these German engineers have ever used their phone to navigate somewhere or they would have second thoughts about designing a NAV system that is 20 years out of date. My 2001 BMW 740i had a better nav system than newer Porsches. Not sure why it shouldn’t be at least as good as my phone for starters.
Lot of room for improvement.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:37 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

An alternative:

If you don't have the "Online Services" option installed on your car, you can get it at your dealer. It's a couple of hundred dollars and is a software upgrade.

Unless you update your nav database every three years or so when a new map comes out, your database of addresses, locations, etc is old and can cause issues. Online Services allows you to search for destinations using Google so it is up to date every day. Once installed you simply connect your iPhone via car to the glove box USB plug-in. Download the "Aha" app and create an account. It will automatically start the app from this point forward when you plug your car in. You can also get online internet radio and "Aha" will show up as a music source like "SAT", "FM" and others.

More here from Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUAHA.html

I use it all the time on my '14 991.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:52 AM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Just use Google or Apple, they have active traffic anyway, so it will give best route rather than just whatever the Porsche nav gives. Also, with WAZE you get speed trap alerts too. Easier and better not using the Porsche nav.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICU991812
Just use Google or Apple, they have active traffic anyway, so it will give best route rather than just whatever the Porsche nav gives. Also, with WAZE you get speed trap alerts too. Easier and better not using the Porsche nav.
I live in an area with several pockets of no cell phone/data coverage so the onboard nav is always great as a backup when I am in unfamiliar areas. When I lived in Germany for three years, the situation was worse in the mountains and traveling within Germany and to other countries. The onboard nav, though not perfect, never let me down when I needed it. For our three vehicles without onboard nav (911 3.2, Cayman, and Yukon) I still have my 10-15 year old Garmin portable GPS units with lifetime map updates. I used them in Europe extensively. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
vanlieremead (09-07-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 12:58 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
An alternative:

If you don't have the "Online Services" option installed on your car, you can get it at your dealer. It's a couple of hundred dollars and is a software upgrade.

Unless you update your nav database every three years or so when a new map comes out, your database of addresses, locations, etc is old and can cause issues. Online Services allows you to search for destinations using Google so it is up to date every day. Once installed you simply connect your iPhone via car to the glove box USB plug-in. Download the "Aha" app and create an account. It will automatically start the app from this point forward when you plug your car in. You can also get online internet radio and "Aha" will show up as a music source like "SAT", "FM" and others.

More here from Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUAHA.html

I use it all the time on my '14 991.

Good luck.
Exactly the solution I am looking for. Thanks
Old 09-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

used the nav on my 13 C2S ONCE when i first got it about 1.5 years ago. literally laughed while attempting to get my destination in. haven't hit the nav button since. as far as i'm concerned, my 911 doesn't have nav. my phone with waze or google gets the job done.
tmarino (09-04-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:58 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmarino
Exactly the solution I am looking for. Thanks
TMarino,

I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel and you can see Online Services and Aha in action.

If interested, download the Aha app and create an account. You can also do that on your desktop and tablet. Take a look at the internet radio content and audiobooks. There is also weather, dining, fuel stops, etc available. If you like what you see have the dealer add "Online Services" to your PCM.

You will use your lightning cable plugged into the glovebox USB to access the Aha App. After the first time you connect the lightning cable, the Aha app will start automatically and remain in the background. It's not perfect and it's nothing that other apps don't do, but this is the only one that is fully integrated into the PCM and I really like the ability to search for POIs using Google and not just the PCM hard Drive which is always outdated.

Here is the link to the video:
You can also see some of my driving videos from when I lived in Stuttgart, Germany on the channel.

Good luck and hit me back with questions.
P991GTS (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 06:36 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

Clicked on the Suncoast link and it says sold out. Interesting that software could sell out.

Also, I may be a bit eccentric but I am not crazy about touching the touchscreen and leaving fingerprints. I use the control ***** for most functions. When the sun is behind me (I’m in a vert), the screen looks dreadful. Seems that these new programs require a lot of screen touching.

I also prefer Waze as it gives you a mid destination capability.

One positive about this COVID crap is that I hang my nice soft cloth mask on the PDK shifter and it’s right there to softly clean the screen.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Clicked on the Suncoast link and it says sold out. Interesting that software could sell out.

Also, I may be a bit eccentric but I am not crazy about touching the touchscreen and leaving fingerprints. I use the control ***** for most functions. When the sun is behind me (I’m in a vert), the screen looks dreadful. Seems that these new programs require a lot of screen touching.

I also prefer Waze as it gives you a mid destination capability.

One positive about this COVID crap is that I hang my nice soft cloth mask on the PDK shifter and it’s right there to softly clean the screen.
I saw that about being sold out. Worth a call but it seems odd. Re the screen, I have a cool Porsche. spray/cloth my dealer gave me and it cleans it right up. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2021, 08:16 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I went with the JoyeAuto Box for adding CarPlay. It really makes the car feel new again. Install is relatively straight forward if you take your time and are careful. I watched a few different videos on YouTube (went through the Auto Amateur video 3 or 4 times) and made instructions with screen caps that I could follow during the process.

Here's a link to my home brewed instructions:

CarPlay Install

I've done this 3 times now--start to finish is maybe an hour if I go straight through and have all the tools at hand. I have very little electronics experience other than messing around with Raspberry Pi's with my kids. If I can do it, anyone can.
Noah Fect (09-08-2021)

Quick Reply: I hate Porsche Navigation