Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk opens when car stops... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 12:11 PM
ChrisW991.1S
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trunk opens when car stops... Help!!

Just started today driving into work. Every time the car comes to a complete stop... the frunk pops. I pull over, get out, close the lid, start driving again, stop, POP!, repeat...

Has any one experienced this or have any ideas??
Old 08-27-2021, 12:31 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Sorry OP. It may be tough to see through the anger right now, but from our perspective this is hilarious.

I'd check the battery first. Lot's of bugs happen in these cars because of old or defective batteries. Other than that, I got nothing.

Edit: Maybe double check there's nothing lifting the button inside the car, or causing it to stick-open from the last time you used it. Or maybe the key fob is triggering the trunk and the car only completes the command at a complete stop?? So strange.

Last edited by Jeahbladejeah; 08-27-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:43 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I'd hesitate going after the battery right away.

If the battery is dead or shorted enough to cause low enough voltage for gremlins like this to pop up while the car is running, it very likely would not start in the first place. If voltage is dipping that low when the car falls to idle, could be a weak battery, or it could be the alternator. My bet's on alternator if we're looking at a voltage problem here.

Doesn't hurt to get the battery tested though. NAPA and the like do load testing on batteries for free. Do at least that before shelling out for a new battery -- "it's over 3 years old" is not a valid reason to replace the battery.

My knee-jerk response to this is entry+drive trunk proximity sensor getting triggered from rain but a) I don't know if that even exists on the 991.1 and b) that feature shouldn't be active anyways when the car is running and c) the key inside the car isn't close enough to the front of the car to activate that system anyways.

More details please:

- Do/did you have AS/S enabled?
- Is it literally every time you come to a stop, or just most times?
- Does it happen exactly when you reach 0mph, or does it happen seconds afterwards, or leading up to stopping?
- Does it happen if you're going 10mph and pop it into neutral?
- Was it raining?
- Do you daily drive your 911? If not, do you have auxiliary electronics installed like a radar detector or dash camera system?
Old 08-27-2021, 02:01 PM
ChrisW991.1S
AutoX

Update: Seems to be fixed

Went to O'reilly and tested the battery, no issues there, tested good. On a wild idea I picked up a CR2032 to replace the fob battery. No more frunk pops! Makes no sense to me, but I'll take the W!!

To answer some questions in case it happens to someone else:
- AS/S is disabled
-EVERY time the speedo hit 0, frunk would pop
-Never happened while rolling or in neutral coasting
-Bright and sunny day
-It is not my DD, 2-3 days a week it gets driven
-I do have a radar detector powered to a keyed fuse

Oh and Jeahbladejeah... glad I could make some chuckles from my mildly infuriating morning!!
The following 4 users liked this post by ChrisW991.1S:
asellus (08-27-2021), Dre01SS (08-27-2021), Honda (08-28-2021), Jeahbladejeah (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 02:13 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisW991.1S
Update: Seems to be fixed

Went to O'reilly and tested the battery, no issues there, tested good. On a wild idea I picked up a CR2032 to replace the fob battery. No more frunk pops! Makes no sense to me, but I'll take the W!!

To answer some questions in case it happens to someone else:
- AS/S is disabled
-EVERY time the speedo hit 0, frunk would pop
-Never happened while rolling or in neutral coasting
-Bright and sunny day
-It is not my DD, 2-3 days a week it gets driven
-I do have a radar detector powered to a keyed fuse

Oh and Jeahbladejeah... glad I could make some chuckles from my mildly infuriating morning!!
Insane. In most cars the fob buttons are disabled when the ignition is on for safety reasons, such as popping the frunk while on the freeway -- I had to explicitly recode my 2019 VW to enable fob buttons with the ignition on.

Did it happen when the car was off ever? How was your fob range prior to battery replacement, if you ever used the buttons? Do you have your fob in a pouch, and do you keep it in a tight pocket like in a pair of jeans while you drive?

I have so many questions, lol
Old 08-27-2021, 02:28 PM
ChrisW991.1S
AutoX

Originally Posted by asellus
Insane. In most cars the fob buttons are disabled when the ignition is on for safety reasons, such as popping the frunk while on the freeway -- I had to explicitly recode my 2019 VW to enable fob buttons with the ignition on.

Did it happen when the car was off ever? How was your fob range prior to battery replacement, if you ever used the buttons? Do you have your fob in a pouch, and do you keep it in a tight pocket like in a pair of jeans while you drive?

I have so many questions, lol
LOL... I'm right there with ya

Only time it happened with the car off was when I hit the unlock button on the fob walking up to it. Car does not have entry+drive so the fob stays in the ignition while driving. No noticeable decrease in range with the fob... very weird.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:37 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

take it out of ur back pocket,,ur butt dialing
Old 08-27-2021, 11:24 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,072 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisW991.1S
Just started today driving into work. Every time the car comes to a complete stop... the frunk pops. I pull over, get out, close the lid, start driving again, stop, POP!, repeat...

Has any one experienced this or have any ideas??
Sounds like you got a beta version of the new back-to-work fitness plan that the CDC has been working on.
The following users liked this post:
the_buch (08-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Trunk opens when car stops... Help!!