Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you pls give me advice for my service quote?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 03:00 AM
JK88
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post can you pls give me advice for my service quote?

I think it's not really unreasonably expensive.

Still, I think some of labor charges are duplicated. Like when they perform 60K service that includes brake and drive belt check. of course I understand I have to pay the labor for these services. But then, are they usually discount or subtract some duplicated labors?
Old 08-26-2021, 03:36 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 613 Posts

Most all of this is relatively easy DIY IMO ESPECIALLY the oil change, that takes 45 mins ONLY because it takes 45mins to 60mins for ALL the oil to drain.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 512 Posts

There really aren't any duplicative labor charges there. The prices seem pretty much normal for Porsche dealer service pricing which are typically about 50% higher than a good independent shop. If you're looking to save money, the oil service is an easy novice level FYI. The brakes are more of a novice/intermediate level DIY and the drive belt & spark plugs are intermediate/advanced.
The following users liked this post:
farhanahussain (08-31-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 682 Posts

Cabin filters aren't hard either. The one in the frunk takes a minute or so. Inside the car takes a little more contorting around, but if I can do it, I'm sure almost anyone can.
farhanahussain (08-31-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:58 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

You're definitely paying for two cabin air filters.

Otherwise, labor charges are likely built in to what they charge. If you get multiple services done, there's probably going to be overlap. I don't see anything egregious, other than the aforementioned air filters.

Which is usually the only thing I'd ever DIY, personally (and actually haven't done one in a Porsche, but pretty trivial in almost every other car at least). Some folks, like me, have an allergic reaction to the thought of having to actually work on a car. I like detailing and driving my cars, not fixing or maintaining them. This probably stems from the fact that I did this for a living back in my youth and it was enough to turn me off for life, but also because I don't get that much free time and prefer not to spend it doing anything that could be classified as "work". For that reason, I gladly shell out the cash to people who do this for a living when service is due. I think this is actually an unpopular philosophy on this forum of enthusiasts, but I also think I'm not the only one.

edit: context clues from other posts in this thread imply there are actually two cabin air filters. As long as they are both being replaced (and they're the exact same part number), you're good. You'd think they'd just do a qty: 2 but if there are two filters, it is what it is.

Last edited by manifold danger; 08-26-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Class5Kayaker (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:59 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

The prices seem in line with recent dealer experiences I've had. Where are you located? I assume this is at a Porsche dealer? What is the year and model of your 991?

I didn't see that your service write up included the engine air filters. Did you mean not to replace? The rear bumper needs to come off for the drive belt, and if you have to get the air filter replaced anyway, it seems like a good idea to do that too. Unless it was replaced recently, of course. Also, it's a little confusing, the service tech notes your plugs are due at 80k, as is the engine air filters, but you are doing the plugs anyway (but not the engine air filter?)

I don't understand your question about the rear brakes and drive belt combining? They don't, really have a lot to do with one another. You are however getting a 50% discount on the brake fluid swap since they are doing the rear brakes.

The parts costs are not unreasonable, for dealer / retail price. However, you are paying shop rate for the labor, which is expensive. If you are in any position to DIY, the easier tasks may be things you want to do yourself.

The fresh-air intake filter in the frunk takes about a minute to swap out. There are 3 or 4 snaps, you undo the cover, slide the old filter up and out, and slide the new filter in. Then resnap the cover.

The cabin filter is slightly harder, since it requires undoing 3 small philips screws, swinging the tray cover down, sliding the old filter out, and putting the new filter in. All while crouching in a very awkward twisting position in the passenger side footwell.

The oil change is straightforward; there are several threads here on DIY. Again, this is if you can / want to do this, some don't. I DIY, so my costs are substantially less than you were quoted. My last one in Feb was $89 for oil, filter, and new drain plug.

Plugs and Engine air filters, or anything needing bumper off, is something I opt to let the dealer do. My local dealer here in Tampa (Reeves) did my plugs (only) for $636 this past spring. I had them do a brake fluid replacement as well, for $193, since I was in an apartment and did not have my pressure bleeder and catch cans anymore.

I do my own brakes. In February, I replaced pads and rotors on the fronts, with new hardware and sensors, using the Suncoast kit with OEM parts, for $773.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 08-26-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Price out parts

And go to any indy. My guess is 3k total. I actually prefer slotted rotors but always go with oem pads. With the 2K take a kid fishing.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:47 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 382 Posts

Agree with above. Only question I have is how many miles on the car? Dealers really like changing rotors and pads at the same time even though most rotors still have significant usable life remaining. Could save a few bucks if so.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:18 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

What about engine air filter? They are taking the engine air filter housing off to get to belt. Get that done. Filter is $60 from Porsche.
What about passenger footwell air filter? 20 min job for you or $120 from this dealer.

Quick Reply: can you pls give me advice for my service quote?