Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS w/ Alcantara — How has it held up

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021 | 02:51 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

If possible I'd order Alcantara everywhere, EXCEPT on the wheel. I find it slippery in general, particularly so when wearing down. It's really good with gloves, but you'd look like a complete gerbil driving with racing gloves on the street (and I'd argue on the track it's a bit much sometimes too). Ducking from flack from glove people.
Old 08-27-2021 | 02:55 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
If possible I'd order Alcantara everywhere, EXCEPT on the wheel. I find it slippery in general, particularly so when wearing down. It's really good with gloves, but you'd look like a complete gerbil driving with racing gloves on the street (and I'd argue on the track it's a bit much sometimes too). Ducking from flack from glove people.
Ha! I do feel like a tool wearing my race gloves during a normal HPDE without any other nomex, but I do it to get better grip. That said, I haven't found it to be slippery on the street as I definitely don't wear gloves there, but again, it's not at all worn yet.
Old 08-27-2021 | 03:04 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, obviously I'm kidding a bit here with the look thing - on track is perfectly adequate (though people in shorts with racing shoes and racing gloves look like complete pillocks - public service announcement here).
I have driven a few cars with worn out alcantara wheels and IMO it was flat out dangerous... Also it gets messed up real quick when my wife is at the tiller with all the hand creams crap women use... I suppose you get it redone, not the end of the world...

Most recently I drove a GT3 w/ alcantara at PECATL and hated it while practicing long slides around the wet circle of friction area... It was kinda funny thinking (while having all that fun and countersteering for a long time) that if this was my car I'd toss that wheel and replace with leather ;-) hehe...

Last edited by Greg D.; 08-27-2021 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021 | 07:00 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
Thanks, asellus. I'll brush it and clean it. Hoping for improvement.
take before/after photos!

Quick Reply: GTS w/ Alcantara — How has it held up