Sponsored by:

TA type 2 Installation 3rd Brake Light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 01:32 PM
Bryan K
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb TA type 2 Installation 3rd Brake Light wiring

I've seen a few threads, but none get that technical to the point where I'm understanding it at least.
I got a TA type 2 copy from NR Auto and am fairly impressed with the quality, but for the price I didn't get any wiring or harness for electrical changes. Which is fine I can figure it out. I've had the damn spoiler motor assembly off 3 times now cuz body shops keep canceling on me, and finally had my drop-off today at 1pm canceled at 9am this morning (what a joke as this is the Body Shop my local Porsche dealer recommended as the work/parts is warrantied through the Porsche dealership as well). At least now I have time to finalize the 3rd brake light situation.

I've seen 3 options and just need clarity on what they entail:
1. Buy the $160 harness for the AeroKit and just plug that into the harness connector UNDER the spoiler motor assembly (the high-level brake light 2pin comes off that harness connector) and connect to the relocated high-level 3rd brake light in the fixed spoiler.
2. Tap the BLK/RED + BRWN/WHT wires in the interior rear-storage area and run those out to the high-level brake light that's relocated into the fixed spoiler. (I wish I could find another 2pin connector like the 3rd brakes have so I could have a clean install).
3. Pull the C5 fuse (spoiler motor) and leave everything wired as is, hit the SPOILER button on the center-console whenevner I turn on the car to activate the stock high-level 3rd brake.

Thoughts or experiences on which works better? I will be getting the 74mph warning coded out regardless, this is just specific to the wiring of the 3rd brake light.
Thanks all!
Old 08-24-2021, 02:22 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

my shop tapped wires for the 3rd brake light. works fine for me. it only lights up when i brake, doesnt light up with headlights or lock/unlocking car
Old 08-25-2021, 02:14 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Hmmm I have what I think is the Cabrio Wiring kit from my Sport Design DuckBill kit that i would be happy to give you if you think it's useful i just need to double check that i still have it in my storage.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Bryan K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Hmmm I have what I think is the Cabrio Wiring kit from my Sport Design DuckBill kit that i would be happy to give you if you think it's useful i just need to double check that i still have it in my storage.
Did you ever find that? Could probably use it as I can't find a fixed-wing wiring harness anywhere that's OEM.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Don’t know if this will help, but here’s the instructions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
instructions.pdf (2.10 MB, 232 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 12:28 PM
Bryan K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
Don’t know if this will help, but here’s the instructions
Thanks for sending that, I found it on their website, but I didn't get any of the accessories with my Type 2 as I bought it 2nd hand.
Just decided to tap into the engine cover 3rd light wires in the interior so I can add a flashing module then ran red/black wires out of one of the fan-cover holes to the spoiler. Just dreading tapping into the 3rd brake light wire for the motorized spoiler.

Will be at my local dealer tomorrow morning to change settings via PIWIS, but the Porsche in Indianapolis said "we've never done anything like that before" so they are giving me a ride home after I drop off at 8am... I told them I have the instructions for them to save them time
Found them off your other posts Homeles!
The following users liked this post:
Homeles (10-06-2021)

Quick Reply: TA type 2 Installation 3rd Brake Light wiring