Sponsored by:

Leaky doors on 991 same as 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 01:10 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Leaky doors on 991 same as 997

Although 991 has allot of improvements over 997 model (flame suit on), looks like one issue stuck. Many have experienced leaky doors on 997, however, i didn't see much on 991. Unfortunately it looks like same issue can happen.

I'm making this post so others know about this in case their carpets are wet. Not all water leaks are clogged drains. I hope this helps someone.

My 2013 is a daily and spends allot of time outside. Recently i noticed wet carpet on drivers side. I never noticed it before since i have WeatherTech liners. Don't know why all of the sudden i decided to check the carpet after it has been raining every day for 5 days.
After swearing up a storm (PTSD from 997 days) i took it to a garage where i pulled the door cards and some interior parts in hopes i would find where the leak is coming from. As son as i took off the door card i already knew what the issue was. I could see watter and dirt marks in several places.
Knowing the issues form my 997 days i didnt have to look further but tested anyway. Sure enough after 10 or so min of water from the hose water started leaking into the cabin.
I didnt feel like spending 800 dollars on new plastic shields with new gaskets since same issue will happen again and didnt want to put a bunch of silicone sealant or anything. Would be messy and may get the shield glued to the door. so i went old fashion ghetto fix and put a moisture barrier like they did in the old days. Basically i stuck a sheet of plastic in there and made a shower curtain effect by having the water slide down and over the ridge bypassing the junction of door frame and plastic shield.

Although i did not have wet carpets on the passenger side i decided to do it anyway as a preauction. Well when i took off the door card, sure enough there were two faint traces of water.

All n' all I think its age of the car that making the seals give out. Or if anyone was in there may have damaged them. That didn't look like the case for me, they were in perfect shape, just i guess old and dry. Upper half of the seals was still somewhat tacky and stuck to the door frame a little. Bottom was not at all and felt dryer than top.
I am surprised they did not improve the design. I guess not enough complaints/enough Carreras being used as cars

I did the same on 997 and it worked well >>> https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...aky-doors.html
However 991 window mechanism is in slightly different place so i had to inert plastic in between motor and frame then bolt it back.

P.S. stuck a little weight in there, Second Skin sound deadening (flame suit is on)

Last edited by malahhaor; 08-21-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:05 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Never heard of leaky doors.

Does your window need to be adjusted to stop further up on the seal?

I hate that the car has no rain gutters so when driving (or stopping) the water doesn't roll off the roof right down inside the car if the windows were down.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 08-21-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:58 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Never heard of leaky doors.

Does your window need to be adjusted to stop further up on the seal?

I hate that the car has no rain gutters so when driving (or stopping) the water doesn't roll off the roof right down inside the car if the windows were down.
I too do not remember a post on this 991 forum about doors leaking. But there have been wet carpet posts.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:44 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I can asure you it is not due to windows not being synchronised. I sync them twice a year and always stick a finger in there to make sure they are all the way up when I park and walk away.
After 10 or so minutes of spraying water on the door, water started leaking from under the seal into the cabin.
I think not many people keep these outside or drive in rain. I would not be surprised people have not reported this.

I'm sure doesnt happen often, but it clearly can happen. I hope it helps someone else next time dealership charge you money to clean drains and still not fix the issue.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:05 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Wet carpets and water intrusion can be catastrophic if the moisture gets to electronics (check Nick Murray YouTube channel). There have been intermittent posts of wet carpeting. Can be a horror story.

Quick Reply: Leaky doors on 991 same as 997