Sponsored by:

2013 911 SCab - new rear tires, lost PSM

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 05:23 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
The PSM light turning on/flashing means PSM is intervening, as mentioned numerous times before. That's what it's designed to do. The light is telling you that it's doing stuff. It doing stuff is not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the driver, the environment, or both.

Based on everything you've said, you are driving too fast or too rough for the conditions. Smooth out your inputs, slow down, and it'll stop saving you.
Try and make the engage the PSM, and see how it responds. See what it takes to upset the 911, and see if the PSM engagement feels like what you are experiencing on that "tight hilly corner".

There is a corner about a mile from our home with a dip that is a bit off camber and decreasing radius that I can get to set off the stability management in all of my cars if I try, yet at the same time if I am smooth will have no issues in any of the vehicles, including my Jeep. That being said on the street, outside of rain / and that one particular corner, I have yet to have the PSM engage in the 911.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 217 Posts

So the rears are Conti Extreme Contacts, what tires are on the front?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:36 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

It sure sounds to me like your front and rear tires are mismatched in either pressure, type/size, or both. Your car is designed to operate and corner perfectly with identical tires front and rear (in the correct size) and the correct pressure difference front to rear. If either is off, you can experience a loss of traction that activates PSM. You should never mix tires and if you have NO fronts and non NO rears that is a problem. If you are running full load pressure in rear (you are at 45 which is 1 PSI higher than full load) you must run full load pressure in front (36). Try setting both to comfort pressure 31F/34R. If you still have the same problem with PSM, swap out your front tires to match the rears. Also, double check that the aspect ratio of all tires matches the factory spec. There have been numerous occasions that a mistake was made and a 35 aspect ratio was used instead of 30 which will cause major handling problems.
The following users liked this post:
afk (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 11:00 PM
Tomasphil
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front and rear are both Conti Extreme Contact
Old 11-12-2021, 02:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

I'd be hopping down to Porsche of San Rafael if I were your, let them sort it out. PSM is your friend, it seems at the present time, PSM as mad at you.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:49 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,313 Posts

if you're still chasing it down via dealerships/techs/whatever, have them ride with you. That'll be a real quick yea/nay for whether or not the car is the problem or the driver/environment is
Old 11-12-2021, 03:01 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
if you're still chasing it down via dealerships/techs/whatever, have them ride with you. That'll be a real quick yea/nay for whether or not the car is the problem or the driver/environment is
This would be the easiest solution.

There are places where I can engage the traction control system in a high powered vehicle (E63 or 911) versus a lower powered vehicle. Esp when the road undulates and there are moments where the tires are 'less loaded' and you are deeper into the throttle This is further accentuated if it is on one side of the car (even in a straight away) and you slip/spin only 1 of the drive wheels. You definitely appreciate the PSM kicking in, and preventing your from going into the ditch.

Take a tech or a friend with you on this one particular corner.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:20 PM
Tomasphil
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well … thx for the comments 🤪

I’m not going back to Marin Porsche, because their only suggestion was to install N tires. There were no faults in the onboard system. You can’t get 🩸 out of a turnip.

I've been driving the beast, & ignoring the flashing PSM light when I corner at speeds higher that a little old lady in a Prius. The only intervention is the cruise control turns off, occasionally when the yellow light is flashing. From what I understand, when the PSM (not the yellow light) is triggered, brake fluid is advanced so your braking is stronger. My point is that that’s not happening when the yellow lights flash.

So I’m concluding I should go back to the 356B Cab I used to have … that didn’t have any PSM issues or blinking yellow lights. But that was missing a bunch of other stuff & horses that this 911S Cab has. So I’m just going to ignore the bitch & drive.

Last edited by Tomasphil; 11-14-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:54 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

At this point STOP wasting everyone’s time and just buy four new matching tires ...

let us know how it goes once that is done

THANK YOU!
Old 11-14-2021, 10:58 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomasphil
Well … thx for the comments 🤪

I’m not going back to Marin Porsche, because their only suggestion was to install N tires. There were no faults in the onboard system. You can’t get 🩸 out of a turnip.

I've been driving the beast, & ignoring the flashing PSM light when I corner at speeds higher that a little old lady in a Prius. The only intervention is the cruise control turns off, occasionally when the yellow light is flashing. From what I understand, when the PSM (not the yellow light) is triggered, brake fluid is advanced so your braking is stronger. My point is that that’s not happening when the yellow lights flash.

So I’m concluding I should go back to the 356B Cab I used to have … that didn’t have any PSM issues or blinking yellow lights. But that was missing a bunch of other stuff & horses that this 911S Cab has. So I’m just going to ignore the bitch & drive.
you must love drama cause this tire issue thread started way back in August!
The following users liked this post:
Tomasphil (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: 2013 911 SCab - new rear tires, lost PSM