Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 911 SCab - new rear tires, lost PSM

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 10:13 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

If you belive the PSM is malfunctioning try turning it off (hold the PSM button for 3 seconds).
The following users liked this post:
Tomasphil (09-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 10:36 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomasphil
The summer Continental tires were installed last week. The car corners much better - the rear no longer feels like it's shifting from side to side, like a 300# weight in the trunk is rolling from side to side ... making the car more difficult to control.

A big however, is that the yellow PSM warning light still comes on, frequently when I'm cornering, & driving more than 35 or 40 mph. The car feels like it's not tracking as well. It used to corner like it was a train on tracks. I could corner at 55 or 60, much faster than my Pinto, and it would just carve right thru, like a knife cutting thru a stick of warm butter. I can't recall the warning light coming on before two months ago, when I got the new tires.

Is it possible that some component of the PSM is not working, not stabilizing the car while cornering?
If the yellow light on the tachometer gauge is flashing during hard cornering then that is PSM intervening to keep the car on track. There is a perceived loss of traction or mismatch of steering angle versus yaw and the car is actively stepping in to correct that.

If you're still running them at 45 PSI, drop your tire pressures to the comfort level and see if that changes the behaviour to be more in line with what you expect.
Tomasphil (09-08-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:45 AM
Tomasphil
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, the latest, I took the 911 to DeJung Motorsports, & Steve DeJung, the owner & mechanic. I explained the issue that even w the 2nd set of new tires, the PSM warning light still blinks on tight cornering. He hooked up a Porsche diagnostic device, the size of a PC, to the car. He found no "active" faults - just "passive" or old ones. He drove the car for 10 minutes, on the freeway and back to the shop. He had no issues, the warning light didn't come one. He told me to drive it for a few weeks, especially on the Bohemian Hwy, an 8 mile stretch, of hills & dips, & tight corners. I did that, and of course the yellow PSM warning light came on 10 or 15 times. I'm only in the curve for 4 or 5 seconds, with the light blinking, but I never felt that anything of a PSM nature was intervening, like slowing the car down. The car drove well. I finally quit paying attention to the warning light, as it requires taking my eyes off the road, and slowing down, for caution. Not paying attention to the light, I was able to corner with more confidence. It took a bit getting used to. With this car, a 911 SCab, I can approach a curve with a grade change, at 45 or 50, and not worry - the car cuts right through it.

When I got on a road with higher speeds and more level, the corners were more gradual, the grades more gentle, and the yellow PSM light never came on.

I'm wondering if the PSM light comes on like some automatic warning light, or does it indicate some issue?
Old 09-21-2021, 01:05 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

i've got the same 2013 C2S (but a coupe). have never seen my PSM light come on or blink unless i approach max grip/the point of no return. nothing normal about what's happening with your car. something is not right but i have no idea what it could be other then the few suggestions already made. use to run high tire pressures in my car (40/43) and still never encountered what you're seeing. decided lower pressure worked better for me with the nicer ride quality on city streets so now i'm usually 31/34 or somewhere close to that. have been running oem P zero's my entire time of ownership

good luck getting things sorted out

Last edited by Levy; 09-21-2021 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-21-2021, 03:33 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Sounds like there's a misbehaving yaw sensor or steering angle sensor. Running 45 PSI is goofy, but even so, tires will not cause this.
Tomasphil (09-21-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:17 PM
Tomasphil
Intermediate

Continuing this dialog about the yellow PSM warning light coming on while cornering: DeJung Motorsports, the local Porsche shop for maintenance, hooked the car up to a diagnostic system a few weeks ago. First they cleared the system. I drove it for a month, and returned. DeJung said there were faults in the gateway system. Dejung recommended I take it to Marin Porsche, as they have better diagnostic tools. I took it there for a diagnosis. Their report: they found "no faults on the system". They commented that "the tires are not N rated". They drove it 3 times, and couldn't get the yellow PSM warning light to come on, although it's been wet & drizzly. They reprogrammed the DME and transmission. The service guy said that many of his customers do not have N rated tires, and haven't had any issues with performance.

I drove the car home, and went around a tight hilly curve at 40 mph near my house, and the yellow PSM warning light came on, just as it had before. I made a U turn, to drive it again, and the warning light came on again. The dealer not finding anything, has left me wondering if there's an issue at all. Yet I've had this car for 5 years, advanced the odometer from 16k to 66k miles, and know the car well. I know the yellow PSM warning light didn't used to come on all the time, like it does not. The new rear tires are Continentals, like the old ones, and the same size. It is a mystery that the dealer didn't find any issues. At this point, the only option seems to be to get N rated tires. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 225 Posts

I don't think it's the tires. Are you overdriving the car?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:26 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

You should get a set of N rated cup tires (the 4 corners) that ought to do it.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:33 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 125 Posts

How much throttle are you applying when the Light comes on, and how much steering angle do you have applied?
Old 11-10-2021, 11:54 PM
Tomasphil
Intermediate

The light comes on when I'm going 40-45, in a tight corner. I don't know how to estimate the steering angle. Other cars in front of me, mini vans & Toyotas, are doing the same corner at the same speed. It's not excessive speed. It's a 90 degree turn in 200 ft or so, from beginning to end. The 911S should be able to do it wo a warning light coming on. I've started ignoring the light. Cuz when I start looking for it, I slow down... & hesitate... & glide thru it like I'm in my pickup, instead of a 911S. I'm beginning to think it's a technicality. I could spend $2k for a new set of N tires... but since the rear tires are new, my sense is I should drive them for 20 or 30k miles, then get all new N tires... when all 4 tires need to be replaced.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:28 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm not sure what to say other than the PSM system is acting in the way you'd expect it to.

I have horrendous Bridgestone RE980 all-season tires on my 911 now as I decided to roll the dice and go for reduced road noise at the expense of dry grip (big mistake, these tires suck). I can get the PSM system to intervene very easily now, whereas when I had the P-Zero N0 tires, I very rarely had PSM intervene.

If you want to test this theory, turn off stability control and take the same corner. You're going to get even more wheel slip before the system intervenes (even when it's 'off' it's still on, it just has a higher threshold before intervening). Just exercise caution as the car will be more difficult to control if you go even further beyond the available grip for the specific situation.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:58 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

The PSM light turning on/flashing means PSM is intervening, as mentioned numerous times before. That's what it's designed to do. The light is telling you that it's doing stuff. It doing stuff is not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the driver, the environment, or both.

Based on everything you've said, you are driving too fast or too rough for the conditions. Smooth out your inputs, slow down, and it'll stop saving you.
koala (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:10 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
The PSM light turning on/flashing means PSM is intervening, as mentioned numerous times before. That's what it's designed to do. The light is telling you that it's doing stuff. It doing stuff is not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the driver, the environment, or both.

Based on everything you've said, you are driving too fast or too rough for the conditions. Smooth out your inputs, slow down, and it'll stop saving you.

im not sure I agree - OP states mini vans and Honda’s are going at the same rate

also he’s driven this car for many miles ... he knows how to drive it to his skills. - unless he just move from straight roads in TX or UT or KS to some twisty OR or CA location ?

lets please not discard his situation to bad driving.

Last edited by afk; 11-11-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Tomasphil (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:12 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Btw I’m not saying there are no fun twisty round in TX or UT or KS - just trying to differentiate

Last edited by afk; 11-11-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Yeah, that's BS. Something's clearly wrong with the car, but as usual, if it doesn't throw a code, the "factory-trained techs" are helpless. Might as well take it to a faith healer.
Tomasphil (11-11-2021)

Quick Reply: 2013 911 SCab - new rear tires, lost PSM