Anyone used simaservis1108

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 11:37 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
It's a very fair and honest price. It's genuine, and very respectful. I'm willing to bet my life no one comes close.
Right, so... This doesn't answer the question.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:40 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Asked about the PCM 6.0 upgrade in the Macan forum, led me to this guy.

Let me just say, this isn't a gaming system, it's a motor vehicle. Without understanding EXACTLY what changes are being made, it's important to understand that adjusting anything outside the parameters it came with from the factory is a risk. Any number of things could go wrong here, independent of overt maliciousness,-which no matter how nice the guy is, can't be ruled out without appropriate due diligence.

Personally, it's not remotely worth the risk, I don't care how many great reviews he's received.

It's just not ever a good idea to allow someone you don't trust IMPLICITLY unfettered access to anything electronic that you care about. Even then, there's always a risk unless they REALLY know what they're doing.

If I wasn't slammed at work I'd look into the implications personally.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by manifold danger; 08-07-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:13 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger

Let me just say, this isn't a gaming system, it's a motor vehicle. Without understanding EXACTLY what changes are being made, it's important to understand that adjusting anything outside the parameters it came with from the factory is a risk. Any number of things could go wrong here, independent of overt maliciousness,-which no matter how nice the guy is, can't be ruled out without appropriate due diligence.

Personally, it's not remotely worth the risk, I don't care how many great reviews he's received.

It's just not ever a good idea to allow someone you don't trust IMPLICITLY unfettered access to anything electronic that you care about. Even then, there's always a risk unless they REALLY know what they're doing.

Caveat Emptor.
The effort involved in doing what you're fearing here is comically high, all for a payoff of... what, reading a hooked up phone's emails and SMS? If you're trying to steal information from people, you don't take a single-random approach with a paper trail. That'd be idiotic; the vast majority of people (including 100% of the users on rennlist) are not that interesting. You either target someone interesting or you target everyone like conficker and blaster and the like.

So you don't have to take the time out of your busy schedule to read the huge thread, the short of it is the image on the headunit is having its theft security checks disabled, and then the headunit is being told "hey, this car has the rights to use Android Auto" through what are called feature enablement codes. Literally switches saying "this feature is usable". Nothing more. No additional code is being added to the system. It just enables the use of code that's already on the headunit, similar to what the dealership would do if you purchased navigation on a car that didn't have navigation from the factory for some reason.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:36 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Hooosier?? who did this?
contact him by WhatsApp at +381 65 3086899

as for security concerns… meh, I ain’t got **** anyone wants and I’m a MAC user. So I had to dig out an old windows PC to do this. It needed upgraded to current OS, so it was reset to factory (complete wipe) and upgraded to windows 10. Who doesn’t have an old POS computer you can wipe and use for your remote connection.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:45 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 542 Posts

can you link the adapter and sd card you used
Old 08-07-2021, 01:27 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

can you link the adapter and sd card you used
adapter:
UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 2.0...
Amazon Amazon

antenna:
Bingfu Vehicle Waterproof Active...
Amazon Amazon

sd card: I just used a 32gb that was laying around
Old 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Right, so... This doesn't answer the question.
don't want to post a price on his behalf, just not respectful to him IMO. Sorry, but I can answer in a PM.

Caveat Emptor.
wowow!!! Paranoid much? What data could he possibly steal and use against you? Really.

You know what I did? I bought a brand new laptop from wal Mart. I used that to let him connect to the car remotely. When he finished I returned the computer. Voila!

who gives a **** if he can *possibly see addresses you've put into navigation or MPG?
Old 08-07-2021, 07:09 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Well, to be fair, he now has the address or at least the lat/long coordinates of someone with a head unit whose antitheft features have been disabled.

That said, more power to him. If Porsche doesn't like it, they have no one to blame but themselves.

As for abusing return policies at WalMart or anywhere else, we all end up paying a little bit more when people do that sort of thing, but whatever.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:17 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Well, to be fair, he now has the address or at least the lat/long coordinates of someone with a head unit whose antitheft features have been disabled.

That said, more power to him. If Porsche doesn't like it, they have no one to blame but themselves.

As for abusing return policies at WalMart or anywhere else, we all end up paying a little bit more when people do that sort of thing, but whatever.
Wal Mart abuses their employees, what goes around comes around . Besides, it's a write off.

Sorry for making you pay an extra few cents for great value Mac n cheese lol.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:19 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by asellus
The effort involved in doing what you're fearing here is comically high, all for a payoff of... what, reading a hooked up phone's emails and SMS? If you're trying to steal information from people, you don't take a single-random approach with a paper trail. That'd be idiotic; the vast majority of people (including 100% of the users on rennlist) are not that interesting. You either target someone interesting or you target everyone like conficker and blaster and the like.

So you don't have to take the time out of your busy schedule to read the huge thread, the short of it is the image on the headunit is having its theft security checks disabled, and then the headunit is being told "hey, this car has the rights to use Android Auto" through what are called feature enablement codes. Literally switches saying "this feature is usable". Nothing more. No additional code is being added to the system. It just enables the use of code that's already on the headunit, similar to what the dealership would do if you purchased navigation on a car that didn't have navigation from the factory for some reason.
Isn't it also laughable that you're just letting someone plug into your car over the Internet so it can read your texts out loud and run apps on the screen? Thanks for the extra context, but I'll still pass.

Again, I haven't done the research so at this point my posts are just my personal take based on pretty much nothing but anecdotes from past experience and a general knowledge of digital security... but still. At its core the PCM is a computer (probably a Linux OS under everything if I were to guess) that is tied to the rest of the electronics in the vehicle. Electronics control a lot, and are finicky at best, even from the factory. Unless you're also an expert in how the PCM ties in and functions with all the other electronics it's involved with, and can follow and know EXACTLY what they guy is changing, I think it's appropriate to be paranoid.

I've already said, conspiracy theories aside, if full due diligence isn't applied then things can easily go wrong- whether the guy is trying to steal your personal info or remotely control your car's throttle inputs or not. I agree that would be idiotic and not a very good business practice so it's unlikely, but that's not my primary point of concern.

All I'm saying, is that these are $100k+ automobiles, and you guys are apparently cool with letting randos off facebook dial in from Eastern Europe to **** with your car's brains. I'm not.

Last edited by manifold danger; 08-08-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:36 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911dude41
don't want to post a price on his behalf, just not respectful to him IMO. Sorry, but I can answer in a PM.

wowow!!! Paranoid much? What data could he possibly steal and use against you? Really.

You know what I did? I bought a brand new laptop from wal Mart. I used that to let him connect to the car remotely. When he finished I returned the computer. Voila!

who gives a **** if he can *possibly see addresses you've put into navigation or MPG?
Cool, you had the sense to not use your personal or work laptop to let him dial in to your car.

So since you seem to be an expert, do you know exactly what he did to your car's PCM?

If so, how exactly do you know that? Because you followed along on your "borrowed" laptop's screen?

Did you have wireshark or similar installed to monitor all incoming/outgoing network traffic? Did you save the recording? Would you mind sharing with me?

Did you have an EDR product or some other sort of tool to monitor all activity on the borrowed laptop (not just what was shown on the screen)? What about the car's PCM? What sort of tool could you use to monitor and/or record ALL activity in the car's PCM? (if such a tool exists I'm genuinely interested...)

Was anything installed? How could you tell if it was or wasn't, are you just going on his word? If anything was installed, have you reviewed the source code to tell EXACTLY what the software does? Were there any strange or hidden functions embedded within the code that would, let's just say, continuously monitor your GPS coordinates? Listen in on your phone conversations/email correspondence/text messages? Access your calendar? Send emails/text messages on your behalf? Intercept and reconstruct electronic inputs to things like throttle, A/F ratio, intake/exhaust air temperature, coolant temperature, etc. etc. etc.

If not, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?

This is just off the top of my head. If you can't answer any one of these questions, you shouldn't have let anyone hook into your car remotely.

Last edited by manifold danger; 08-08-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Cool, you had the sense to not use your personal or work laptop to let him dial in to your car.

So since you seem to be an expert, do you know exactly what he did to your car's PCM?

If so, how exactly do you know that? Because you followed along on your "borrowed" laptop's screen?

Did you have wireshark or similar installed to monitor all incoming/outgoing network traffic? Did you save the recording? Would you mind sharing with me?

Did you have an EDR product or some other sort of tool to monitor all activity on the borrowed laptop (not just what was shown on the screen)? What about the car's PCM? What sort of tool could you use to monitor and/or record ALL activity in the car's PCM? (if such a tool exists I'm genuinely interested...)

Was anything installed? How could you tell if it was or wasn't, are you just going on his word? If anything was installed, have you reviewed the source code to tell EXACTLY what the software does? Were there any strange or hidden functions embedded within the code that would, let's just say, continuously monitor your GPS coordinates? Listen in on your phone conversations/email correspondence/text messages? Access your calendar? Send emails/text messages on your behalf? Intercept and reconstruct electronic inputs to things like throttle, A/F ratio, intake/exhaust air temperature, coolant temperature, etc. etc. etc.

If not, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?

This is just off the top of my head. If you can't answer any one of these questions, you shouldn't have let anyone hook into your car remotely.
Honestly, you can ask the same questions about any software or app you install on your phone or computer or any chip you put in, or any USB dongle you buy and connect to your computer. Do you really know what is on any of them?

For that matter, the same applies to Joyauto, NM Auto, etc.

If you have any Amazon Dot, Echo, or any other brand, same questions apply. Amazon and Google know more about you than you think and guaranteed more than simaservis would.
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:51 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

I must be too much of an *** on here cause he never responded lol
Old 08-08-2021, 05:27 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

I must be too much of an *** on here cause he never responded lol
according to some people... he's too busy hacking the 401K's of us that have used his service. Good thing I'm poor, nothing to steal!
Old 08-08-2021, 07:14 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

No, Hvala did get back to me, didnt hear from simaservis1108

Quick Reply: Anyone used simaservis1108