Sponsored by:

CarPlay install report

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 11:46 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by LeJerk
For the record, does anyone have a list of which units give you the back up camera lines that move with the steering wheel and those that don’t?
I know for a fact that NM Auto first gen unit has dynamic lines AND Park Distance diagram for a manual 991.1. I sent a video to someone requesting it. My guess is their gen2 wireless unit does too and I assume if the manual car has the lines and PDC, then the PDK car should too.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:32 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I know for a fact that NM Auto first gen unit has dynamic lines AND Park Distance diagram for a manual 991.1. I sent a video to someone requesting it. My guess is their gen2 wireless unit does too and I assume if the manual car has the lines and PDC, then the PDK car should too.
According to ZZ support, depending on what equipment is installed, some manual cars have the data for park distance on the CanBus, and some don't. If it is there, they will display it, but if it isn't, they don't. It might be worth checking with Nick if he agrees, but I don't have his contact info.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:13 PM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the gen 2 wireless w/PDK. It has dynamic lines and parking distance sensors overlayed in the reverse camera feed.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:58 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardA
According to ZZ support, depending on what equipment is installed, some manual cars have the data for park distance on the CanBus, and some don't. If it is there, they will display it, but if it isn't, they don't. It might be worth checking with Nick if he agrees, but I don't have his contact info.
Hmmmm perhaps if your car doesn't have the BOSE or Burm stereo that uses MOST network to transfer music data and probably other data than your unit may not get those digital data signals, so this is very possible. Cars with the Base Level audio DO NOT have a MOST digital network connection to an external amp, which probably means the PCM doesn't sit along the MOST network so it's not getting that data feed.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:51 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Hmmmm perhaps if your car doesn't have the BOSE or Burm stereo that uses MOST network to transfer music data and probably other data than your unit may not get those digital data signals, so this is very possible. Cars with the Base Level audio DO NOT have a MOST digital network connection to an external amp, which probably means the PCM doesn't sit along the MOST network so it's not getting that data feed.
The MOST fiber optic network does not carry CAN bus signals. The CAN bus is a separate electrical data bus (not fiber) that is connected to the PCM over copper wires. I would check whether the CAN bus wires were properly connected to the PCM when the Quadlock connector was reattached to the PCM during installation. That could be the problem.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:10 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSR
... I would check whether the CAN bus wires were properly connected to the PCM when the Quadlock connector was reattached to the PCM during installation. That could be the problem.
Since the PCM functions are working, I would assume the CAN connection is intact to the PCM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:34 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Since the PCM functions are working, I would assume the CAN connection is intact to the PCM.
That’s certainly a good assumption.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:41 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Are all the PCM functions working normally in all respects - including does the PCM display dynamic reverse camera lines - when the PCM is in native mode (CarPlay not activated)? If so, it seems the PCM is getting all the CAN bus and whatever other data it’s supposed to and if it’s not working to show dynamic reverse lines in CarPlay mode then the fault would seem to lie with the CarPlay adapter.

Last edited by LSR; 08-18-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:19 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSR
Are all the PCM functions working normally in all respects - including does the PCM display dynamic reverse camera lines - when the PCM is in native mode (CarPlay not activated)? If so, it seems the PCM is getting all the CAN bus and whatever other data it’s supposed to and if it’s not working to show dynamic reverse lines in CarPlay mode then the fault would seem to lie with the CarPlay adapter.
The behavior of the backup cam doesn't change if CarPlay is active or not. In fact, if CarPlay is still booting, the backup cam works fine. I don't think they are related.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:39 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

i think all said and done, id rather just go with a aftermarket HU + install kit from suncoast.
The following users liked this post:
theracer21 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 07:56 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
i think all said and done, id rather just go with a aftermarket HU + install kit from suncoast.
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/blogs...o-system-tweak
Old 08-24-2021, 09:10 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

This has many drawbacks. It’s not compatible with the Bose or Burmeister systems and you lose park distance sensors.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:07 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
This has many drawbacks. It’s not compatible with the Bose or Burmeister systems and you lose park distance sensors.
it is compatible with Bose
Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theracer21
it is compatible with Bose
I posted based only on what I read from the links you posted. Suncoast says the Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit "Fits cars with the base audio system, NOT compatible with BOSE or Burmester Sound Package." As for the Kenwood head unit itself at the other posted link, for that to work with BOSE it would have to output its audio as an optical digital signal that's coupled to the BOSE amplifiers via the car's MOST fiber-optic network. I didn't see anything on the website for the Kenwood unit indicating it does that. Rather, the specs page for the Kenwood head unit show it's got conventional analog outputs including on board power amps (4x50 watts) and 3 preouts. Crutchfield, by the way, indicates the ddx9903s head unit is discontinued.

I think something like this might be able to work with BOSE if the pre-outs could be converted to fiber-optic digital signals compatible with the BOSE system. This box (or something like it) might be able to do that:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by LSR; 08-26-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:52 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1BOSE.html

Quick Reply: CarPlay install report