Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Retrofit, 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 07:34 PM
Gnailuh
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2015 991.1 S Cab PDK. I added the module on the dash with the clock (is that what you mean by wart?). But I didn't add ALL the rest. From what I understand, no matter what you do you won't get the dynamic engine mounts that come with the package. It all depends on what you want out of it.

For me, I simply wanted the "clock". I like the way it looks and I like the fact I can always find the time. I bought a mount and clock set together from eBay, off a GTS version. Cost me $600. The guy gave me cable too. There's a video on YouTube on how/where to tap the wires. 4 wires, two for power and 2 for clock sync. With this setup, there is no "Sports Plus" button and no damper button and the Chrono function does not work. With the PDK, I opted to add the Cobb Tuning thing with the PDK tune. Power wise you won't get much from NA, but the PDK tune is AWESOME. I've driven a number of 991 with Sports Chrono, Cobb Tune PDK is WAY more useful and you can tune various aggressiveness as well as add functions like reverse +/- gear shifts, no roll, double paddle neutral... I have a Spyder with sports chrono and I've not used the stop watch function once... but I don't go to the track these days, so maybe it's useful for others.

So I just wanted the clock. Cobb gave me everything else I wanted. Can't sell the car later without disclosing this mod anyway, so there was no need for me to go all the way. So $600 module from eBay and $1250 (?) for Cobb with PDK I think. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:52 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnailuh
I have a 2015 991.1 S Cab PDK. I added the module on the dash with the clock (is that what you mean by wart?). But I didn't add ALL the rest. From what I understand, no matter what you do you won't get the dynamic engine mounts that come with the package. It all depends on what you want out of it.

For me, I simply wanted the "clock". I like the way it looks and I like the fact I can always find the time. I bought a mount and clock set together from eBay, off a GTS version. Cost me $600. The guy gave me cable too. There's a video on YouTube on how/where to tap the wires. 4 wires, two for power and 2 for clock sync. With this setup, there is no "Sports Plus" button and no damper button and the Chrono function does not work. With the PDK, I opted to add the Cobb Tuning thing with the PDK tune. Power wise you won't get much from NA, but the PDK tune is AWESOME. I've driven a number of 991 with Sports Chrono, Cobb Tune PDK is WAY more useful and you can tune various aggressiveness as well as add functions like reverse +/- gear shifts, no roll, double paddle neutral... I have a Spyder with sports chrono and I've not used the stop watch function once... but I don't go to the track these days, so maybe it's useful for others.

So I just wanted the clock. Cobb gave me everything else I wanted. Can't sell the car later without disclosing this mod anyway, so there was no need for me to go all the way. So $600 module from eBay and $1250 (?) for Cobb with PDK I think. Hope this helps.
OK, But what was Your config on the car? Did You have PASM and sport button?
Old 02-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Gnailuh
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a single "SPORT" button and PSE button. I have an aftermarket AWE SwitchPath exhaust, aftermarket wheels with offset, otherwise stock.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Blumel (05-07-2024)
Old 06-10-2023, 04:17 PM
Raman Naidu
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the clock retrofitted to the 991, you could just buy the kit from Amazon (ASVEGEN Sport Chrono Clock for Porsche) for about $500. It comes with the wire harness, it is a plug and play solution. Quality is excellent and it looks OEM. In my car, I just had to move the MOST optical cables to the new harness and everything works.

retrofitted kit from Amazon

close up of the unit

Last edited by Raman Naidu; 06-10-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
chillee
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An interesting thought.... but I keep seeing all these threads about adding the sport+ button to activate the sport chrono. Some of them claim that you can buy a code for 100-200... but where? You only hear from people who swear they were able to do it, but never explain in detail. We never seem to hear from the people that tried it and failed. Has anyone bought a code and failed?

So here is my update: I can tell you from my personal experience that I bought and installed a sport chrono on my 991. After 8 months it works great. I regret nothing. I purchased my bezel and chrono parts from ebay/amazon. The harness was a bit of a pain, but once I figured it out, it worked like a charm. The button set $190 used on ebay. Some folks on ebay sell single buttons for $20, but I liked the idea that I might want extra buttons to add custom features down the road. So I have the harness, the bezel, the chrono, the button... (zero interest in the motor mounts) ...but to date I have yet to find a code. Some links to russian/chinese places to get a hack, but nothing materialized. I can also report that my local Porsche dealer is more than happy to program the button in (for $250 US (Texas)) but that is the shop time and doesnt include the actual code. I dont have eevn an estimate on how to get the code or the cost because every dealership looks at me like Im insane. Parts tells me to talk to service. Service tells me to talk to parts. They both agree that I should talk to a manager, who is more than happy to tell me to talk to corporate. Porsche corporate... yeah I doubt they will ever contact me, and even if they did I doubt they will give me a code, or even give me a code for a reasonable price.

So, this is me adding to the thread; if you know a place where the code can be bought, or WHO at porsche corporate I should reach out to... please let me know Im all ears!
The following users liked this post:
mwjackson92 (11-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Retrofit, 991.1