Sponsored by:

991.2 Known Problem Areas Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021 | 02:54 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Default 991.2 Known Problem Areas Discussion

Hi all

I never thought I'd say this, but my 991.2 GTS is turning into one of my favorite cars of all time. It a Swiss Army knife 911 and does so many things so well. With that in mind, i've started to think long term (gasp!) and out of warranty and wondering how the 991.2 Carreras are fairing so far. From scanning this forum over the years, I've seen the following as things that pop up from time to time:
- water pumps
- diverter valves (especially when tuned)
- PDCC (maintenance cost primarily)
- premature inside edge tire wear (theorized as exacerbated by RWS by SM) even on stock/conservative alignment

The core components: engine, turbos, PDK all seem largely bulletproof. What areas are you seeing as problematic, on which variant and at how many miles? FWIW, I'm over 20,000 mi so far and it's all been all consumables and regular service.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
devtec (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021 | 03:13 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Door panel warping? At least for the non-full leather cars like mine (not that I've seen any sign of that on my '17 yet, knock on wood.)

Possibly also headliner issues? When I had my '14 981S there were some reports of drooping/loose roof adhesive causing the upper part to detach, requiring replacement, but I'm not sure I've seen all that many threads on this board.

One fault I had that I've not seen much of is the sunshade cassette. I was going to close it a couple months ago and felt and heard a loud crrrraaccckkk and the sunshade was all cattywampus. Replaced N/C under warranty but I'd shudder to think how much that would have been.

ChrisF (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021 | 05:21 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

• I think the door panel warping was an early 991.1 problem, solved on the 991.2.
  • Water pump was an early build 991.2 issue (first few months), not an issue with later builds.

Another problem to add to your list is the fuel tank rubbing issue. See the attached bulletin. More cars starting to see this (I think including mine) as mileage increases.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ATI-2-1403.pdf (427.2 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by devtec; 06-26-2021 at 05:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by devtec:
IXLR8 (07-03-2021), NCheok (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021 | 08:59 PM
NI3
Racer

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Door panel warping? At least for the non-full leather cars like mine (not that I've seen any sign of that on my '17 yet, knock on wood.)

Possibly also headliner issues? When I had my '14 981S there were some reports of drooping/loose roof adhesive causing the upper part to detach, requiring replacement, but I'm not sure I've seen all that many threads on this board.

One fault I had that I've not seen much of is the sunshade cassette. I was going to close it a couple months ago and felt and heard a loud crrrraaccckkk and the sunshade was all cattywampus. Replaced N/C under warranty but I'd shudder to think how much that would have been.

My new to me C2 2018 had the same sunroof screen issue. Noticed it on test drive. Was repaired before delivery.
Old 06-27-2021 | 08:46 AM
stephenaron
2nd Gear

Default Gas tank rubbing

I too had the gas tank running issue.
2019 4S.
It has been resolved by the dealership. They had to remove the sub frame to replace the foam that has moved.
Old 06-27-2021 | 12:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Can't forget about the occasional PDK failures that people love to blow out of proportion.

Rear shock top mount failure is assuredly common in the 991.

Sun visor vanity mirror flaps are pretty fragile.

PCM issues from time to time, particularly in the 991.1.

Seat adjustment issues, most of these have been found to be some kind of user error though.

Seat ventilation/heater issues, though it's usually just a fuse.

Triangular seal in the door/window next to the side mirror will tear if the door is opened on a dead battery. This is technically a mechanical part and not a trim part, as it's connected to the front guide rail for the window, so CPO will cover it.

The A/C rattling/clunking/whatever noise, there's a TSB on this and the solution is to add some sound deadening.
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:01 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

17 c2 24k and only the engine lid supports replaced. However the google earth nav is and has been a downgrade and now is inop on my vehicle. Pcna and dealer do not communicate and I'm stuck in the middle. I'm just using base nav and plan on getting a refund on connect services tomorrow. 5 star car except for this mess. Ios worked great but let's not go there. If your concern is out of warranty repairs get a fidelity platinum and do not wait too long. Price is mileage and age based and can get strange. I'm good another 6/60 but had your same concern before getting the extended warranty.
Curvfun (06-28-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 10:39 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus

Triangular seal in the door/window next to the side mirror will tear if the door is opened on a dead battery. This is technically a mechanical part and not a trim part, as it's connected to the front guide rail for the window, so CPO will cover it.
i've had this replaced as well. under warranty. just from normal use wear though. no dead battery experience.

i have a unresolved suspension system fault that come on only at the track and hard bumpy cornering, but this has never come up on street and it appears to be a rare issue.

other than that, i'm nearing the end of my warranty (3 months), 60,000Km, and not one other issue. not even a rattle. love my .2 4GTS
Old 06-29-2021 | 11:04 AM
Frank996

Originally Posted by stephenaron
I too had the gas tank running issue.
2019 4S.
It has been resolved by the dealership. They had to remove the sub frame to replace the foam that has moved.
My 2018 991.2 GTS went in twice for the "steering column" rattle and seems to be fixed now.
They (i.e my OPC) also did some additional padding in the doors as certain frequencies when listening to music made it rattle and there is still a tiny little squeaking/rattling left and i'll have them look at it when I bring it in for Service later (still under warranty)...
Old 06-29-2021 | 12:26 PM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

My 2017 cabriolet drivers door makes an occasional “clunk” when going over fairly rough pavement. Upon exploring the extension of my warranty I found the car had been written up for it before. I think it’s more the nature of the cabriolet but could be something I suppose.
Old 06-29-2021 | 12:48 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Water pump is going to be the most common failure specific to the 991.2, I've got to think. Most of the other issues are probably somewhat universal across the entire generation.
Old 07-01-2021 | 07:51 PM
tosha
Instructor

So far, on a 2018 991.2 Carrera, I had the following replaced under warranty for which I've seen posts on rennlist:
- Rear shock top mount failure
- Water pump
- Misfires at low rpms in normal mode - variable valve timing solenoid replaced on both sides
Old 07-01-2021 | 11:23 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Thank you to those that are contributing. Good news seems to be that these cars are pretty reliable. That bodes well for those of us that want to pile on miles.
Old 07-02-2021 | 10:04 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

I did forget one issue, I think I've seen one other member made mention on this. When I picked up my CPO '17 in June 2019, on the trip from Long Island to Tampa I had a recurring check engine light. It was induced by light throttle application in 7th, making to pass for example.

It went out by itself but then happened again when I got back a couple weeks later. I took it in to my local dealer for warranty repair. They found a tank vent sensor faulty, replaced under warranty, N/C. Part: 9A2-110-095-01 AS TANK VENTILATION. This was at about 20K miles.
Old 07-02-2021 | 01:37 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tosha
So far, on a 2018 991.2 Carrera, I had the following replaced under warranty for which I've seen posts on rennlist:
- Rear shock top mount failure
- Water pump
- Misfires at low rpms in normal mode - variable valve timing solenoid replaced on both sides
@tosha Are you talking about the strut that holds up the engine lid or that actual shock of one of the wheels?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Known Problem Areas Discussion