Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC V3 - Impression Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021 | 09:35 PM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Default DSC V3 - Impression Review

Been looking at reducing brake dive on my 991.2 GTS and this controller was highly reviewed. So I thought I'd share my impressions:

1. Installation was easy. It's a hot day here and the foam in there was rather sticky, so that caught me off guard. Otherwise very easy to do. Absolute plug and play. No error codes, car fired right up.

2. Initial Take Off

The first initial drive off immediately felt supple. It feels as if the suspension absorbed the high frequency bumps quite nicely in the parking lot.

3. City Drive

This is where I felt the active suspension has some inconsistencies. For the most part, the high frequency bumps are well managed. Sometimes it gives me great confidence. But what made me question a few things is the low frequency bumps. The bridge rivets, or a single bump seems to make the car pogo-stick a bit.

It seems that it is great at calculating what to do for most high freq and when a low freq bump comes up, the computer chip isn't quick enough to respond and can pogo the car.

I prefer to drive this in the normal setting, although the sport setting makes the car much more enjoyable to use. Previously I could not drive the vehicle in sport.

that's all my friends.

The following 2 users liked this post by gskv:
Martin S. (07-21-2021), skeeter714 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021 | 09:45 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Helpful info! My 991.2 CS is primarily a DD, but do go to 2/3 track events a year. Most likely will continue with the stock controller for now.
Old 06-28-2021 | 05:10 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gskv
Been looking at reducing brake dive on my 991.2 GTS and this controller was highly reviewed. So I thought I'd share my impressions:

1. Installation was easy. It's a hot day here and the foam in there was rather sticky, so that caught me off guard. Otherwise very easy to do. Absolute plug and play. No error codes, car fired right up.

2. Initial Take Off

The first initial drive off immediately felt supple. It feels as if the suspension absorbed the high frequency bumps quite nicely in the parking lot.

3. City Drive

This is where I felt the active suspension has some inconsistencies. For the most part, the high frequency bumps are well managed. Sometimes it gives me great confidence. But what made me question a few things is the low frequency bumps. The bridge rivets, or a single bump seems to make the car pogo-stick a bit.

It seems that it is great at calculating what to do for most high freq and when a low freq bump comes up, the computer chip isn't quick enough to respond and can pogo the car.

I prefer to drive this in the normal setting, although the sport setting makes the car much more enjoyable to use. Previously I could not drive the vehicle in sport.

that's all my friends.
Sounds like the minimum value in the dynamic operating range is a little too soft. If you're up for making change then this should help.
Normal Mode: Default Rate 10, Sensitivity 20, G Rate Max 25.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
4Forethought (07-07-2023), desmotesta (09-02-2021), manifold danger (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 09:18 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ktnielsen
Helpful info! My 991.2 CS is primarily a DD, but do go to 2/3 track events a year. Most likely will continue with the stock controller for now.
You do not need to frequent the track to get value out of this mod. This is a pretty good review out of the OP, but I'll call out what resonates the most for me since picking up the DSCv3:

Originally Posted by gskv

Mine is a 991.2 C2S with Sports PASM and RWS. I also NEVER went near the Sport setting, as it would just rattle my teeth loose just driving through my neighborhood. Now, I rarely remember to turn it off, the car is so compliant. I noticed this about 5 seconds after driving it off the lot (I live in Maryland so I picked it up locally and TPC offered to install it gratis!). I could almost agree that the controller might struggle to keep up with a random large bump because they're obviously still quite noticeable (it's a sports car on sports suspension after all)- but honestly I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from how the car used to handle these types of things and it probably is better now in Sport than it used to be in Normal. I personally have never experienced any pogo-ing.

Also looks like Tom is all over it, as he usually is on these forums. I can't say enough good things about Tom, TPC, or the controller itself.

Make one for the Macan!
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Brian Himmelman (07-20-2024), Tom@TPC Racing (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021 | 01:02 PM
RDG_RCR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manifold danger
You do not need to frequent the track to get value out of this mod. This is a pretty good review out of the OP, but I'll call out what resonates the most for me since picking up the DSCv3:

Mine is a 991.2 C2S with Sports PASM and RWS. I also NEVER went near the Sport setting, as it would just rattle my teeth loose just driving through my neighborhood. Now, I rarely remember to turn it off, the car is so compliant. I noticed this about 5 seconds after driving it off the lot (I live in Maryland so I picked it up locally and TPC offered to install it gratis!). I could almost agree that the controller might struggle to keep up with a random large bump because they're obviously still quite noticeable (it's a sports car on sports suspension after all)- but honestly I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from how the car used to handle these types of things and it probably is better now in Sport than it used to be in Normal. I personally have never experienced any pogo-ing.

Also looks like Tom is all over it, as he usually is on these forums. I can't say enough good things about Tom, TPC, or the controller itself.

Make one for the Macan!

Nice! I'm local as well and need to pick one up!
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (06-29-2021)
Old 07-21-2021 | 12:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Looks to be value for the money....

Good value for the money 💰 $1,300. If you are fortunate enough to have PASM, this replacement box (2 connections) optimizes PASM according to what we read in this thread, as well as numerous
YouTube videos. Here is one that I found to be helpful:

As a replacement for the stock PASM box, it optimizes the suspension in Normal as well as Sport mode, most likely Sport + mode too. In one of the videos, it was mentioned that the suspension felt better across the suspension modes.

$1,300: As I understand it, it's as simple as disconnecting the battery, unplugging the stock controller, only two (2) connections, replacing the stock unit with the DSC unit, reconnect the battery, and that's it. Far simpler in contrast to a Cobb ECU connection, and readily reversible, if need be. Once I pay for my ceramic exterior coating and the XPEL treatment, this modification is near the top of my list, along with the third (center) radiator.

From the DSC website:
Who Are We?

Esteemed driver and engineer of TPC Racing, Michael Levitas, founded DSC Sport in 2011 with a vision to advance suspension technology into the digital era. For Levitas, who has an unwavering passion for sports cars and motorsport, track performance and street comfort are not mutually exclusive. For this reason, Levitas set out to engineer a suspension that not only provided optimum track performance, but would do so without sacrificing street comfort.

With championship titles spanning from the 2006 24 Hours of Daytona to the 2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge, Levitas and his team of engineers, technicians, and professional drivers have helped set the bar for suspension engineering across various professional race series over the past decade. Using the race data and knowledge gathered from years of success racing Porsche cup cars, Levitas created an algorithm to control the damping level of each individual shock in virtually real time.
What is DSC Sport?DSC stands for Dynamic Suspension Control. Using an algorithm developed out of years of professional race data, DSC adjusts the damping level of each individual shock in virtually real time. The result is an active suspension setup that provides more grip to the tire, greater stability and ride control, and increased comfort for all driving styles and road conditions.

DSC Sport allows drivers to custom tune their suspension by creating various tuning maps within the DSC Sport Tuning Software. Users may wish to create custom maps for specific tracks or roads, unique rain set ups, or to improve compatibility with other aftermarket products and vehicle setups. (I like this feature)
The following 4 users liked this post by Martin S.:
Dre01SS (07-21-2021), The Ox (07-21-2021), tmarino (07-21-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (07-27-2021)
Old 07-23-2021 | 12:12 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
As I understand it, it's as simple as disconnecting the battery, unplugging the stock controller, only two (2) connections, replacing the stock unit with the DSC unit, reconnect the battery, and that's it.
I don't think you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery when installing the DSC.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-23-2021 | 04:04 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
I don't think you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery when installing the DSC.

God bless,
TT
Correct, no disconnect on battery. Just unplug, plug in and go. It’s just that simple. The quickest mod you will ever install. Watch one of Tom’s install videos that’s done in real time.
Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2021 | 10:50 AM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmarino
Correct, no disconnect on battery. Just unplug, plug in and go. It’s just that simple. The quickest mod you will ever install. Watch one of Tom’s install videos that’s done in real time.
Good Luck.
The only real issue the first time you do it is getting the connectors to release, especially the big one. But Tom's video will guide you through it.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-23-2021 | 11:48 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

this is on top of my list as soon as I have time to actually drive and enjoy the car - Life/work is too busy and no commute till Jan 2022 (or later)
Old 07-23-2021 | 11:50 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Taking interest in this now. A few questions...
1) Thinking in terms of warranty... It seems like a simple plug and play. Even simpler than a ECU tune. My question is how easily reversible is the process and can you just swap back out with original controller and it remain undetectable?
2) I have a 991.2 C2S with PASM (Not Sport PASM). Will this change the ride height at all on it's own? How noticeable are the improvements if you don't choose to change any of the suspension hardware (ie. not changing springs or lowering any other way)
3) I do not intend to do much if any tracking of car. Mostly just daily driving style in city and on highways. What differences can I expect to notice in how the car drives?

Old 07-23-2021 | 11:57 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Taking interest in this now. A few questions...
1) Thinking in terms of warranty... It seems like a simple plug and play. Even simpler than a ECU tune. My question is how easily reversible is the process and can you just swap back out with original controller and it remain undetectable?
2) I have a 991.2 C2S with PASM (Not Sport PASM). Will this change the ride height at all on it's own? How noticeable are the improvements if you don't choose to change any of the suspension hardware (ie. not changing springs or lowering any other way)
3) I do not intend to do much if any tracking of car. Mostly just daily driving style in city and on highways. What differences can I expect to notice in how the car drives?
1. Easily reversible.
2. Does not change ride height.
3. More comfort and compliant, even on rougher roads, you should notice a difference right away.
The following 3 users liked this post by Speed2k:
manifold danger (07-25-2021), Pb Pedis (07-26-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (07-27-2021)
Old 07-23-2021 | 12:15 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by Speed2k
1. Easily reversible.
A word of caution - removal of the OEM controller and installation of the DSC controller can cause DTC codes to be thrown. When I installed it, I noticed a number of messages that appeared on my dashboard MFD. After installation, they went away, but when I scanned with my PIWIS III, I had something like 6 historical DTCs as a result of the installation. It's possible that my situation was an anomaly; I have no way of knowing that. If, however, you're concerned about warranty and want to replace it with the OEM one before each visit to the dealer, just be sure to check and clear any historical faults the swap may have caused.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan_ (07-24-2021)
Old 07-23-2021 | 12:32 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I am in the same boat as you and the biggest selling point (based on user feedback here on RL and other places) is that the car will be more compliant over bumps. I have a GTS with sport-PASM, meaning it tends to be needlessly harsh over bumps. Since the harshness/stiffness could have easily been coded-out by Porsche, my take is that they left most of it in there to give the impression of "sport", many users confuse stiff with better handling. Reality is almost the opposite (with some caveats of course).
User feedback and first impressions almost always point to the fact that car is more compliant and glides over bumps/crappy roads with no reduction in handling dynamics.
Old 07-23-2021 | 01:51 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

This DSC unit sounds exactly like what I need/want. Great thread, thanks for all the info! It's now at the top of my list.

Quick Reply: DSC V3 - Impression Review