Sponsored by:

Options on PSE not working issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 12:53 PM
Ahmad310
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Options on PSE not working issue

Hello everyone. Long time lurker here and new 991 owner. Having an issue with PSE and wanted to get your guys opinions. I’ve and searched and read hundreds of post on here but not seen one that is same as mine.

So PSE is stuck in the open position, don’t really bother me as I love the sound but I want to car to function as it should. Now I know most of your are thinking COV is the problem and it very well may be part of the problem. But when I get under the car and try and turn the the valves by hand, they are stuck. From everything I’ve read here, those should be able to move by hand.

So, first issue is the seized valves and then maybe also a COV issue, seems pretty straightforward.

Recently the car was at the dealership for the heat shield campaign and I asked them to take a look at the PSE. This is where I’m having a hard time. Now first I know these cars are expensive to maintain, I knew that going in so that’s not the issue but after the dealer looked at it they said, yes the COV is bad, yes the valves are stuck..cost to fix… $5100!! Now from my time on here I’ve seen tons of you that got entire PSE systems, or aftermarket systems installed for far less so this price seemed a bit on the high side so I asked them to send me the list of parts they needed to replace. They had the center muffler (although the part number listed was for non-PSE) and a lot of other small parts, replacing both sets of tips (not sure why it they feel that’s nessisary)

Now my plan is to take it to an independent shop and have to get check it out. But am I wrong in thinking this should be fixable for far less than what they quoted?

attached is the parts list they gave me, ironically there is no COV’s on it!

Old 06-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

I would look for a shop where they can fix it or at least replace only what’s necessary . The dealership is basically selling you a brand new whole system. Crazyness
Old 06-25-2021, 01:11 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

Dont these work on Vacuum, no vac and its open?? perhaps there is a line disconnected. Im far from a top mechanic so take that for what its worth
Old 06-25-2021, 01:19 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Dont these work on Vacuum, no vac and its open?? perhaps there is a line disconnected. Im far from a top mechanic so take that for what its worth
Yes, but OP says they are physically seized. Can't turn them by hand.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:19 PM
Ahmad310
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
yes they do, as far as I could tell the lines are all connected. But regardless you should be able to manually move them by hand. I suspect the COV failed, then over time from not moving, it seized up. I’m gonna put some penetrating oil on the valves and try to get them loose.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 442 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Mufflers and tailpipes

Last for 20 years plus. Also it has 2 tailpipes, no way they both failed.

For me, when I changed over to PSE I just picked up a center muffler on ebay for $500 as they last forever. In any case, even replacing everything new (which is unecessary) would be 50% of dealer cost. Do not tell or show indy dealer quote and see what they come back with.
The following users liked this post:
docskeet (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 05:38 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 200 Posts

$5100 WOW, Relatively easy DIY or go to an independent:

PSE for 991.1 is $1220 MSRP, $880 discounted
https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...er-99111143707

COV is about $75
https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...lve-7pp906283f
https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...ss-99161294400