Sponsored by:

Manual Shift Knob - fix scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:22 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Manual Shift **** - fix scratches

My shift **** is red leather, as is the boot. The silver plastic top where the shift pattern is printed is damaged. I assume a previous owner had a nasty ring.

Is it possible to replace just the plastic part?

If not, what is the least I can replace to fix it?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:31 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

there was a thread on this maybe three weeks ago.

the part you're looking for does not exist as its own thing. the whole shift **** and boot is all or nothing.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:42 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by asellus
there was a thread on this maybe three weeks ago.

the part you're looking for does not exist as its own thing. the whole shift **** and boot is all or nothing.
I did search first but didn't find an answer to my questions. I haven't seen the red version online, just black. I'm guessing Porsche will sell me one for a lot of $, but I'd like to find other suppliers if they are out there. Maybe Suncoast would do a special order.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:58 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,318 Posts

the part number should be readily available in the free PDF provided by porsche, you can google that PN and see what's out there. the CF one was like $800 or something hilarious. a normal leather one is probably $300 or something.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:39 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

This is what I did with my manual ****.

The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:15 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
This is what I did with my manual ****.
I like that a lot!!!!

What is it?
How much?
Where can I buy it?
Old 06-25-2021, 10:39 AM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is your solution:

http://www.function-first.com/produc...sic-shift-****

Pair this with a numeric shifter and you’ll transform the driving experience. Trust me!
The following users liked this post:
Numeric Racing (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:26 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlickOne
Here is your solution:

http://www.function-first.com/produc...sic-shift-****

Pair this with a numeric shifter and you’ll transform the driving experience. Trust me!
I like the shifting pretty well, so I admit it is hard to believe it would be improved significantly, but you never know!

However, I noticed yesterday that Function First says most of their ***** are out of stock.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Numeric Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardA
I like the shifting pretty well, so I admit it is hard to believe it would be improved significantly, but you never know!
However, I noticed yesterday that Function First says most of their ***** are out of stock.
Trust us, you aren't the first one to think that. Even today we got this review,

"Just picked up my car from having shifter and cables installed. Holy F#@K what a difference…
I have a 2019 Carrera T. I purchased your shifter and cables about a year ago when I got the car. The T comes with the same shifter as the GT4 (I believe) which is supposed to be about as good as it gets in the Porsche world. I had held off on the install thinking it would only be a slight improvement and I wasn’t in a huge hurry to drop the $$$ on the install. Holy crap was I wrong. This is some next level ****. Wish I had done this a year ago. BRAVO NUMERIC. Job very well done!!!"

That is just one, read anywhere here on rennlist or our website: Read Some Other Reviews Here!

Also, we are working on some shift ***** for our 996/997 and 991/992 models and will be releasing them in these coming months because we heard how hard it is to get a function first ****.

Last edited by Numeric Racing; 06-25-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:32 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Trust us, you aren't the first one to think that. Even today we got this review,

"Just picked up my car from having shifter and cables installed. Holy F#@K what a difference…
I have a 2019 Carrera T. I purchased your shifter and cables about a year ago when I got the car. The T comes with the same shifter as the GT4 (I believe) which is supposed to be about as good as it gets in the Porsche world. I had held off on the install thinking it would only be a slight improvement and I wasn’t in a huge hurry to drop the $$$ on the install. Holy crap was I wrong. This is some next level ****. Wish I had done this a year ago. BRAVO NUMERIC. Job very well done!!!"

That is just one, read anywhere here on rennlist or our website: Read Some Other Reviews Here!

Also, we are working on some shift ***** for our 996/997 and 991/992 models and will be releasing them in these coming months because we heard how hard it is to get a function first ****.
I'll keep it in mind, especially if you have some nice ***** to go with it! Let us know when we can see what those look like.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:55 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by asellus
the part number should be readily available in the free PDF provided by porsche, you can google that PN and see what's out there. the CF one was like $800 or something hilarious. a normal leather one is probably $300 or something.
Thanks for noting the existence of the Porsche parts list. If I'm reading it right, the part # is 991 424 980 15 N11, and Googling that prices are around $1,200 (!!!!).

At that price, first I try to repair the existing one and if that fails I think a Numeric shifter and **** might be in my future.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:16 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardA

It is mind numbing how bad the stock shifter is compared to the Numeric! We drive manuals because of the interaction with the car. The Numeric shifter and cables take that interaction and moves it to another level.
Trust me, this is the FIRST modification every manual owner should get. It's worth every penny.

I had a friend of mine do the install since he owns a shop. He's installed quite a few "short shifters" into cars over the years. He drove my car with the stock shifter and was quite dismayed as to how vague it felt. He questioned the price of the Numeric.
Then he drove it after the install. His words "100% worth every penny!" He couldn't believe the difference.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:40 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 89 Posts

I’m really enjoying this —>

It’s a weighted **** from Raceseng, available in alcantara, leather, different colors, whatever you want. I recommend a **** covered in leather or alcantara, or with a delrin shell, so it stays cool and usable in hot weather.

https://raceseng.com/stratose-alcantara

Paired with a Numeric, it’s shifting bliss.

If you are interested in the shift pattern (hard to find Porsche 7MT pattern), it’s just a sticker I whipped up in photoshop and had made.

Last edited by devtec; 06-26-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:17 PM
RichardA
Instructor

Originally Posted by devtec
I’m really enjoying this —>

It’s a weighted **** from Raceseng, available in alcantara, leather, different colors, whatever you want. I recommend a **** covered in leather or alcantara, or with a delrin shell, so it stays cool and usable in hot weather.

https://raceseng.com/stratose-alcantara

Paired with a Numeric, it’s shifting bliss.

If you are interested in the shift pattern (hard to find Porsche 7MT pattern), it’s just a sticker I whipped up in photoshop and had made.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking at their web site, it looks like they only have the 6-speed shift pattern, all the leather is black (color is only for metal), and I can't find one that looks like yours, so it looks like your customizing wasn't simple.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:37 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 89 Posts

All I did was select the “graphite matte” finish, “ring” engraving pattern, and Porsche adapter. 3 options.

Looks like graphite finish is no longer there, but black matte is, which would be very similar. The engraving pattern doesn’t really matter if you were to cover it with a sticker anyway.

There are so many **** options:
https://raceseng.com/stratose-leather-custom
https://raceseng.com/stratose-perforated-leather-custom
https://raceseng.com/products/shift-*****

For others interested, I used here to manufacture the sticker. You can upload any graphic you want. The correct diameter for the stratose **** is 28mm.

Don’t want to give the impression it’s super customized, since it is not really!

Last edited by devtec; 06-26-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Shift Knob - fix scratches