Sponsored by:

Best wax & polish

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Best wax & polish

I've tried several (McG's, Turtle, etc.) and they all seem to be "blotchy" I've let them dry for hours before removing as some haze and some don't but they all seem to leave blotches. I use an oscillator with clean pads and everything and nothing seems to work. What do you guys use?
Old 06-19-2021, 10:55 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I prefer sealants. Many prefer ceramic coatings. I enjoy rubbing on and lightly polishing the the paint semi annually so I see no advantage to a ceramic coating. If you don’t like to maintain paint then a coating makes sense. Washing and polishing or waxing is therapeutic to me. Nothing better than the feeling of soft slick paint.

My favorite sealant is Sonax Spray and seal. After you wash you simply spritz a few sprays per panel and then rinse off. I then blow dry the car. Spray and seal makes the paint very slick so the water blows right off. Then if there are spots left of the sealant a simple plush microfiber rubs them out.
The following users liked this post:
Viper1000 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 11:02 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been using Adams products for the last 10 years and very happy with the results. The key is properly preparing your paint before you wax or apply polish. Check their site with many helpful video's and wide variety of products.

www.adamspolishes.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob in NY:
huntflyer (04-01-2022), Viper1000 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 11:06 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 270 Posts

I've tried many over the years and found a few I've been very happy with on my black car. Chemical Guys Jet Seal is a great sealant. I've used P21S carnauba wax on top and it really gives a nice shine, but it doesn't last as long as a synthetic wax.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolpertinger:
Viper1000 (06-20-2021), Wrtflyr (06-21-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 11:07 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Another great product line is Prima. They make a spray was called Hydro as well as a sealant called hydro max. Spray it on damp or wet paint and dry. Then come back with a plush microfiber to buff.

But as stated above. Paint prep is key. If it’s been prepped and then properly maintained it stays nice s long time.
Viper1000 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:50 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Dri Wash Guard Classic is one of those waterless washes that also waxes. I was skeptical but it works as good or better than any paste wax I've tried, and is also seems to repel dirt. Took 15min to do the whole car. Turtle wax makes a polish and wax combo product, Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish and Wax which gave a showroom shine to my 20 yo car, but it does have a mild cutting action, so I only use in once/yr.
Viper1000 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:01 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

https://www.collinite.com/product/no-845-insulator-wax/

Apply very thin. Will haze in less than 15 minutes, buff off. Done. If you're getting a splotchy finish with it, you used too much and/or you didn't wipe it off.

The 845 is a boat wax. Short of going with a ceramic coat, this is one of the better waxes you can use. I used some on @Jon Beatty 's car... two years ago, now? Maybe three? Still on that same application today and he says it still beads up.
Guards_Red_991 (03-31-2022)
Old 06-20-2021, 06:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Viper, you need a clean slate and restart from the beginning.

Get all the old wax off your car. Clay the paint. Paint correction. Then choose a high quality coating/sealant/wax product you like best (performance, gloss, longevity).
The following 4 users liked this post by LexVan:
ktnielsen (04-05-2022), mc3456 (03-31-2022), sfo_pete (06-20-2021), Viper1000 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 11:11 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Mguires cleaner then wax

Sounds like you need a 2 step process.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:23 AM
CL_77
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did 2 weeks ago, Gyeon wash, ironx & clay, carpro essence (you may need a cutting polish before this step), IPA wipe down, cquartz ceramic then lastly, carpro reload.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:41 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Viper, you need a clean slate and restart from the beginning.

Get all the old wax off your car. Clay the paint. Paint correction. Then choose a high quality coating/sealant/wax product you like best (performance, gloss, longevity).
Absolutely. I hired a professional detailer to do all of the above to my 991 and the result was nothing short of amazing. As much as I liked washing and waxing my Porsche (I really did) its ceramic coating is amazing and requires little if any maintenance other than a wash, blow dry (I use a leaf blower) an a few dabs with a waffle textured towel....

For Mare fans...photo taken at an actual WAWA

Last edited by rnl; 06-20-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:16 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

I have to say that I have been blown away by the results I got from Avalon DIY Ceramic coating. I am no Pro, but have been detailing my own cars since mid 90s. Have tried to stay with the curve and learn new tricks, products.

Took me an entire weekend to prep the car for ceramic coating, wash, clay, decontaminate and clean with IPA...but 8-10 hours of work is well worth the amazing results I am seeing after 6 months and half a dozen washes, road trips and semi daily use.
I can only imagine what a professional paint correction+coating would be like, but my amateur effort and mere $100 of investment has given me better results than any polish, glaze, wax, sealant I have ever used in the past, and this is on a bland "white" car.

Planning to tackle wife's Black GTS in a few weeks, will keep you guys posted
Old 06-20-2021, 01:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I have to say that I have been blown away by the results I got from Avalon DIY Ceramic coating. I am no Pro, but have been detailing my own cars since mid 90s. Have tried to stay with the curve and learn new tricks, products.

Took me an entire weekend to prep the car for ceramic coating, wash, clay, decontaminate and clean with IPA...but 8-10 hours of work is well worth the amazing results I am seeing after 6 months and half a dozen washes, road trips and semi daily use.
I can only imagine what a professional paint correction+coating would be like, but my amateur effort and mere $100 of investment has given me better results than any polish, glaze, wax, sealant I have ever used in the past, and this is on a bland "white" car.

Planning to tackle wife's Black GTS in a few weeks, will keep you guys posted
^ Thank you for this. Very curious to hear more when you try this product on your wife's black GTS—have a Brewster Green (so, pretty much black ) 991 I've decided to keep, and have learned in recent years that I take zero pleasure in waxing/detailing cars in the way I once did—though it may be a time issue in this chapter of life. For now, washing them is enough for me—and I don't much care when the car is a bit dirty.

But of course I still want the car to look great.

My "tick" is not dust or the odd bit of splash residue—it's the "spider web"/light scratches seen on dark paint. Until now, my wash/dry technique was always enough to avoid them on my cars (so long as a dealer doesn't wash them after being asked not to…). Curious if ceramic coatings offer better protection against these scratches in the real world?

Ah, and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
Old 06-20-2021, 01:38 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Thank you for this. Very curious to hear more when you try this product on your wife's black GTS—have a Brewster Green (so, pretty much black ) 991 I've decided to keep, and have learned in recent years that I take zero pleasure in waxing/detailing cars in the way I once did—though it may be a time issue in this chapter of life. For now, washing them is enough for me—and I don't much care when the car is a bit dirty.

But of course I still want the car to look great.

My "tick" is not dust or the odd bit of splash residue—it's the "spider web"/light scratches seen on dark paint. Until now, my wash/dry technique was always enough to avoid them on my cars (so long as a dealer doesn't wash them after being asked not to…). Curious if ceramic coatings offer better protection against these scratches in the real world?

Ah, and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Best part is when I wash the car after a weekend trip, everything comes right off without much effort at all. and just drying with my leaf blower makes it look like someone just spent 4 hours waxing/polishing the car.

Happy Father's Day
stout (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:41 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Curious if ceramic coatings offer better protection against these scratches in the real world?
the "scratch protection" aspect of ceramic coating is ridiculously overblown. it technically is harder than cured clearcoat, but not by enough to make a real world difference.
The following 3 users liked this post by asellus:
desmotesta (06-20-2021), SConn (06-20-2021), stout (06-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Best wax & polish