Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Oil Change... More Tips!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 01:19 PM
Ailerons
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

NAPA Auto Parts has a special right now for 20% 3 items or more. You just have to order online for in store pick up. I just stocked up on Liqui Moly 5W-40 and Ceratec/MoS2. And then did an oil change on my 991 on Tuesday. If it is your first time doing it, just take your time so you don’t break any of the plastic. Incredibly easy.

Originally Posted by straka
I purchase two 5 liter containers of oil for my 2017 991.2 Carrera S. I pour out one liter of oil from one container into an empty one liter bottle. That leaves me 9 liters of oil for the change. I drain the oil when hot and the Porsche is level, and let it drain overnight. Refilling with the 9 liters puts me right at the halfway mark of the lower and upper limits on the oil level display.
I’m also getting about 9 liters out. But instead of letting it drain overnight, I drain hot, let it drain for about 30 minutes until the stream turns to a dribble, then jack up one side and then the other. I do the same on my 997 and get about 8.5 out every time. Who knows if it really matters, but it sure is entertaining to watch the oil keep coming…
Old 04-13-2023, 02:16 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,245 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Ditto. FCP bonus: lifetime warranty.
Worth noting you have to mail your old parts back to their facility on the east coast, and that can get pricey for heavy stuff if you’re on tue West Coast. As an example, brake rotors cost $260 to ship all four for me. Still less than a new set, but FCP also charges more up front. I just mention this because it can factor in, along with how long you plan to keep the car, for calculating if it’s actually worth it or not to buy from FCP. Overall though, they’re a great company to deal with, but some items I still get from Rock Auto, Pelican Parts, Suncoast, etc.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:21 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Ailerons
NAPA Auto Parts has a special right now for 20% 3 items or more. You just have to order online for in store pick up. I just stocked up on Liqui Moly 5W-40 and Ceratec/MoS2. And then did an oil change on my 991 on Tuesday. If it is your first time doing it, just take your time so you don’t break any of the plastic. Incredibly easy.

I’m also getting about 9 liters out. But instead of letting it drain overnight, I drain hot, let it drain for about 30 minutes until the stream turns to a dribble, then jack up one side and then the other. I do the same on my 997 and get about 8.5 out every time. Who knows if it really matters, but it sure is entertaining to watch the oil keep coming…
As a side bar, I also have the new 992 GT3 which only allows you to drain 4.1 liters out of about 8 liters. It's actually in the shop manual to expect only about half the oil. Although bizarre and counter to what I think it should be, that's the way it is. On the GT3 forum, we basically think it is because you don't want to drain all the oil from the engine and then startup without oil at the top part of it.

Anyway, if only replacing 50% of the oil every change isn't going to harm the GT3 engine (according to Porsche), then I wouldn't worry about getting those last few drips out of a 991 Carrera engine.
The following users liked this post:
Ailerons (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 04:26 PM
Ailerons
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
As a side bar, I also have the new 992 GT3 which only allows you to drain 4.1 liters out of about 8 liters. It's actually in the shop manual to expect only about half the oil. Although bizarre and counter to what I think it should be, that's the way it is. On the GT3 forum, we basically think it is because you don't want to drain all the oil from the engine and then startup without oil at the top part of it.

Anyway, if only replacing 50% of the oil every change isn't going to harm the GT3 engine (according to Porsche), then I wouldn't worry about getting those last few drips out of a 991 Carrera engine.
Good perspective. Thanks for sharing that. Since there is always going to be oil left in the motor from 5K, 10K+ miles ago, changing it often with high quality 5W (depending on your climate) is likely better for longevity in my opinion. Now if you are someone who keeps the car for a few years, then moves on, you likely won’t buy into this mindset of neurotic oil changes, additives and what strangers post on the internet anyway. But for me, I still don’t see myself driving anything else but these two for many years to come.

Last edited by Ailerons; 04-13-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:49 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,530 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Worth noting you have to mail your old parts back to their facility on the east coast, and that can get pricey for heavy stuff if you’re on tue West Coast. As an example, brake rotors cost $260 to ship all four for me. Still less than a new set, but FCP also charges more up front. I just mention this because it can factor in, along with how long you plan to keep the car, for calculating if it’s actually worth it or not to buy from FCP. Overall though, they’re a great company to deal with, but some items I still get from Rock Auto, Pelican Parts, Suncoast, etc.
Exactly right. FCP's "lifetime guarantee" is actually an extended warranty that you pay for in higher initial prices. It's not something they gratuitously throw in out of benevolence.

If you religiously return things and factor in shipping costs then it may work for you. However, as with any extended warranty, they count on a good percentage of people not doing it out of laziness, forgot they had it, too much trouble, etc.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:58 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Devtec,

Your procedure is perfect and all other oil change procedures should be deleted. This post needs to be a sticky. My first time changing on 991.2 (dealer quoted $595). I owned over 30 cars, this was the easiest oil change I ever performed. I am extremely disappointed in myself for changing the oil based on the ridiculous 1 year Porsche requirement. 1 year old oil with 2K miles. The oil came out new, feel good do nothing maintance. I knew better than to believe the 1 year crap, yet got sucked in by the Porshe hype. On the flip side how environmentally unfriendly wasting 8.5 quarts of oil. My Mercury Racing boat engine was $23K and I change every 3 years, brutal service. My first boat in 1992 had it first oil change after 7 years! Long story short I went to take it out in spring and water was in the boat bilge, nope it was oil, oil filter rusted through, lol. I owned that boat for 25 years and had thousands of hours on it sold it and still see in use. Bottom line if oil has less than 7500 mile I will not change unless 3 years old. Devtec, Thanks Again!!!!!!!

PS
Anyone who pays more than $200 for 991 oil change confirms a fool and their money soon part ways. Oh, yea I checked the brakes, took about 2 minutes, all in excess of 7mm. Porsche charges what they do because fools pay it......

Last edited by HardRider; 07-02-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:38 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
And they no longer refund you directly for the lifetime replacement warranty, they give you store credit. that was a big turnoff for me.

Regarding this thread though, there really isnt a P-tech that can confirm that this is the way oil changes are done at the dealer, or tell us whatever is the easiest way to do it?

Last edited by mikescayenne; 07-02-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:42 PM
HardRider
Racer

Guess if P-tech in hurry he can just skip the filter change, or maybe the whole service. Who would ever know.......
The following users liked this post:
mikescayenne (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 10:52 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
Guess if P-tech in hurry he can just skip the filter change, or maybe the whole service. Who would ever know.......
i seriously think this happens more than we know. Or maybe they drain/change the oil, but don't touch the filter. Maybe less at dealers than at indy shops, but this is definitely happening more than we think it is. especially on like base Macans/ cayenne's i can see the tech's just not giving a sh*t. Especially with how much volume there must be now ever since the macan came out.

Last edited by mikescayenne; 07-02-2023 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:58 PM
HardRider
Racer

Truth be told, 99% of time if the tech skipped service there would not be an adverse affect. Maybe if teched skipped 3 times in a row, even then owner would never notice unless kept for 250K miles, by that time something else would take out car.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:24 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikescayenne
i seriously think this happens more than we know. Or maybe they drain/change the oil, but don't touch the filter. Maybe less at dealers than at indy shops, but this is definitely happening more than we think it is. especially on like base Macans/ cayenne's i can see the tech's just not giving a sh*t. Especially with how much volume there must be now ever since the macan came out.

Yes, I always wonder about this. I think it is more of an issue with spark plug changes.....that last spark plug may be a pain and he skips it.

I do all my own maintenance. Just finished the oil change, brake flush, cabin filters, and controller oil change a couple weeks ago. Saved a cubic butt ton of money. More importantly, it was fun, I enjoyed doing it and I know it was done right.

Last edited by subshooter; 07-03-2023 at 10:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
Sarawnty (07-03-2023), sletcher (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 09:57 PM
HardRider
Racer

sub shooter

Who is the manufacturer of your sliding jacks? I been looking for one for my lift, Derek Weaver, Tuxedo, seams to be a bunch.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:59 PM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

Best part of DIY maintenance is knowing it was done right (assuming it was done right...). I do all mine myself. Just did spark plugs. Not fun, but with lift and right tools, saved enough for my Elephant Racing front camber plates, which now need to be installed (by me) before upcoming track day. Sorry for thread hijack.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:01 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HardRider
sub shooter

Who is the manufacturer of your sliding jacks? I been looking for one for my lift, Derek Weaver, Tuxedo, seams to be a bunch.
Derek Weaver. And I love them. I bought the second one so I could get the whole car lifted on a 4 post lift. Makes it a lot easier to do brake fluid flushes and rotate tires on my wife's honda.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:14 PM
HardRider
Racer

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the one I am looking at, free shipping right now.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change... More Tips!