Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another plug for the DSC Sport v3 controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:14 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Love mine too. Have it installed for over 6 months now. Just a better overall ride.
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (06-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:32 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I noticed a difference backing out of my driveway... Then almost every bump/undulation in the road that used to jar the car
That's awesome, me too. I thought it was surely placebo noticing it so immediately, but it wasn't.
Tom@TPC Racing (06-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 07:11 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Dumb question, but what's the downside of the DSC? Why didn't porsche set up the car this way from the factory? Based on comments, the normal setting isn't harsher than stock, so there's no downside there. And in sport, the performance is better as well.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:24 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yoda888
Dumb question, but what's the downside of the DSC? Why didn't porsche set up the car this way from the factory? Based on comments, the normal setting isn't harsher than stock, so there's no downside there. And in sport, the performance is better as well.
Good question, my guess would be the same reasons there are always aftermarket improvements to many OEM things – cost, maintenance, regulations, or they just haven't implemented this technology (whereas DSC is presumably an expert in this specific area).

Do other 911 platforms have anything like this (like the GT cars)?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:57 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
Increased wear on the hardware components, I reckon. I'd love to see quantifiable data that this $1300 gadget makes your existing hardware objectively 'better' than it already is.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:42 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Increased wear on the hardware components, I reckon. I'd love to see quantifiable data that this $1300 gadget makes your existing hardware objectively 'better' than it already is.
It doesn't make it "better", it utilizes what's already there in a different manner. To simplify it, it's like tuning your suspension like you tune your engine for more power or sharper response etc.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:09 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
It doesn't make it "better", it utilizes what's already there in a different manner. To simplify it, it's like tuning your suspension like you tune your engine for more power or sharper response etc.
From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the damping is being extended beyond the stock parameters -- very similar to how one would tune an engine for more power, using your analogy. If true, this would increase wear as more of the suspension travel is used more often. No such thing as a free lunch.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:17 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I too think the DSC is a game-changer. I added it to my GT3 Touring about a year ago. Just today, I bought one for my GTS as well. To me, after driving in the GT3 with the DSC, the GTS suspension in both normal and sport mode is too bouncy and mushy. Although the GTS will never "feel" just like a GT3 (for numerous reasons), adding the DSC will allow me to customize the suspension to taste, rather than having to live with the factory settings forever. Two thumbs up!
The following 4 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
catdog2 (02-22-2023), forbiddenbeat (06-11-2021), Sarawnty (06-14-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (06-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:26 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the damping is being extended beyond the stock parameters -- very similar to how one would tune an engine for more power, using your analogy. If true, this would increase wear as more of the suspension travel is used more often. No such thing as a free lunch.
I think engine tuning isn't the best analogy, since that pushes things outside factory params.

But, from DSC's FAQ: https://www.dscsport.com/frequently-asked-questions/
Will DSC Cause My Suspension To Wear Out Faster?
No, DSC Sport does not add any stress to the factory dampers or other suspension components. In fact, the factory control method sends a constant current to the dampers, while DSC Sport alters the current and utilizes a series of on/off commands. Under normal usage, DSC Sport will ultimately send less current to the dampers allowing for better cooling during usage.

Last edited by forbiddenbeat; 06-11-2021 at 10:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by forbiddenbeat:
The Ox (06-18-2021), uphoto (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:53 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
I think engine tuning isn't the best analogy, since that pushes things outside factory params.

But, from DSC's FAQ: https://www.dscsport.com/frequently-asked-questions/
Will DSC Cause My Suspension To Wear Out Faster?
No, DSC Sport does not add any stress to the factory dampers or other suspension components. In fact, the factory control method sends a constant current to the dampers, while DSC Sport alters the current and utilizes a series of on/off commands. Under normal usage, DSC Sport will ultimately send less current to the dampers allowing for better cooling during usage.
So they've managed to improve what Porsche engineers developed, within the confines of the hardware as provided by factory, while also implying they're reducing wear.

Interesting.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:17 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 708 Posts

warranty and a loaner I get to use as a punching bag takes care of that
Old 06-11-2021, 11:48 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

So they've managed to improve what Porsche engineers developed, within the confines of the hardware as provided by factory, while also implying they're reducing wear.

Interesting.
From what I've gathered, the main advantage is the controller is able to individually adjust each damper (whereas PASM just adjusts them all together), using more data and providing a broader range of adjustment. The algorithm driving it all comes from years of race data, so I assume there's some special sauce there.

In any case, I love it, and I'm not at all worried about any adverse effects to the dampers.

Last edited by forbiddenbeat; 06-11-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:58 AM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
I believe so – SPASM is just 10mm lower, but otherwise (afaik) they share the same dampers. I can't recall if I specified when ordering that I had SPASM – I'll have to check.
SPASM in the 991.2 is 20mm lower than cars with PASM, at least that is what my window sticker says.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cutlass476
SPASM in the 991.2 is 20mm lower than cars with PASM, at least that is what my window sticker says.
I believe PASM is 10mm lower than base, SPASM is another 10mm lower.
fnckr (06-12-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:56 AM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts

Add me to the list of very satisfied customers and fanboys of the DSC Controller. Also, a shout out to Tom at DSC, I had a couple of questions regarding the software and he patently answered my newbie questions.

To really understand what the DSC is doing and how it's doing it I strongly suggest viewing the main Technical setup video that is on the DCS website and on YouTube. It's a tutorial on how to make adjustments to the DCS via the DCS tuning software but it also shows the concept and thought process behind why the DCS can do suspension setup better than the factory Porsche setup. This is not a criticism of Porsche, quite the contrary, after gaining a bit of knowledge on how to tune the Porsche suspension, I have a greater appreciation of the work Porsche engineers had to do to make a 911X feel like it should to the average Porsche buyer. The Porsche controller is doing the same functionality as the DSC controller just in a more static manner without the ability of the end user to make their own adjustments.

One of the main reasons I wanted to purchase a DSC controller was to get a bit of a more compliant ride in normal mode. I live in Northern California and the roads from freeways to canyon drive roads are in rough shape. Freeways are mainly concrete so the seams between the slabs have heaved over time and the concrete has worn due to traffic and has waves worn in that are affectionally know as freeway hop. The secondary roads tend to have smallish ripples and swales in them due to the type of sandstone soil we have plus minor earthquake activity, combine that with poor maintenance and you have roads that while fun to drive will challenge any suspension. Last week I went on a 40 mile ride over some of my favorite roads with the GT Touring setup that comes with the DSC as my baseline. From freeway to canyon roads it was a significant improvement out of the box. However, I was curious if I could make the the ride quality even better, so I downloaded the DSC Tuning software and started experimenting. After a few days of trial and adjustment of normal mode, my butt dyno told me I have gotten my TTS to have a notably better ride than my Audi sedan. To be fair, the setup does have a bit of softness and bit of floaty body motion when the car is pushed hard above the speed limit on secondary roads. That said, I hit my goal of a very compliant ride when on the freeway or just cruising along with traffic on secondary roads.

That's great but I don't want a softer ride, it doesn't feel buttoned down like a Porsche should..... This is why God and Porsche gave us the Sport button. Again, the GT Sport Touring file is very good but I've started to make some changes that takes me closer to a GT3 RS setting in Sport mode. I'm still experimenting here but bottom-line I've widened the gap between the Normal and Sport modes.

Again, hats off to the folks at DSC. This is an amazing product that will provide more bang for the buck performance improvements over any other modifications for your Porsche.
The following 5 users liked this post by bmwexpat:
acwild70 (06-18-2021), forbiddenbeat (06-13-2021), The Ox (06-14-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (06-14-2021), TXGerman (07-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Another plug for the DSC Sport v3 controller