Sponsored by:

2018 4s brake squeal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2018 4s brake squeal.

Anyone else have a problem with brake screech at every stop? Any solutions or just normal for 911 brakes?
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 03:08 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

The car is new to you, I presume? Do you have stock pads/rotors? How many miles? Any brake work recently? How would you describe your driving style? Relaxed, moderate, aggressive?

There's a fair bit of posts that mention "squeal" in the 991 section. Do a search and there should be some leads you can follow. Some tips include: Get under the car and check for debris/rocks stuck between the rotor and shield. Do a good brake bedding procedure (search, or try this: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443).

If none of that works, you can try different/aftermarket pads. The track guys here (I am not) should jump in and be able to suggest some alternatives.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:14 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
The car is new to you, I presume? Do you have stock pads/rotors? How many miles? Any brake work recently? How would you describe your driving style? Relaxed, moderate, aggressive?

There's a fair bit of posts that mention "squeal" in the 991 section. Do a search and there should be some leads you can follow. Some tips include: Get under the car and check for debris/rocks stuck between the rotor and shield. Do a good brake bedding procedure (search, or try this: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443).

If none of that works, you can try different/aftermarket pads. The track guys here (I am not) should jump in and be able to suggest some alternatives.
Thanks for the response. Yes I am a new 911 owner. Car only has 400 miles. It's not debris or worn out pads. I am guessing I will just need to switch to a different pad material. It is not loud but at every red light and is kinda bugging me. Pretty minor complaint really. Other than that the 4s is an awesome daily driver
Old 06-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Is it a stock pad? I have zero squealing with those but track pads are pretty bad. Are your clips still strong - if there have been many pad changes they will wear out. you could try something like this between the pad and the caliper pistons. I use anti-squeal...

Amazon Amazon

There are some DIY threads on changing pads; check those out. Fairly easy to pull your caliper - would recommend you get a box or something about 8" high to rest the caliper on if you do decide to pull them. You will also need a few specific tools like a torque wrench, a 10mm torx socket to pull the bolts, jack, jack pads, etc to do the job. Just pay attention to the abs clip as if you pry that wrong, you can break the clip...which is no bueno.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, get the few necessary tools to do this an oil changes. You'll save yourself a bunch of dough.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Is it a stock pad? I have zero squealing with those but track pads are pretty bad. Are your clips still strong - if there have been many pad changes they will wear out. you could try something like this between the pad and the caliper pistons. I use anti-squeal...

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-Br.../dp/B00295ERQ2

There are some DIY threads on changing pads; check those out. Fairly easy to pull your caliper - would recommend you get a box or something about 8" high to rest the caliper on if you do decide to pull them. You will also need a few specific tools like a torque wrench, a 10mm torx socket to pull the bolts, jack, jack pads, etc to do the job. Just pay attention to the abs clip as if you pry that wrong, you can break the clip...which is no bueno.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, get the few necessary tools to do this an oil changes. You'll save yourself a bunch of dough.
The car only has 4000 miles so I am guessing it has stock pads and its the standard steel brakes not the carbon brakes.. I have all the tools to work on it and can't wait to turn wrenches on it.. Already changed the badges and getting the windows tinted. Then it's engine mod time after I get money put away. I think just upgrading to composite pad might help.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Picketthouse
The car only has 4000 miles so I am guessing it has stock pads and its the standard steel brakes not the carbon brakes.. I have all the tools to work on it and can't wait to turn wrenches on it.. Already changed the badges and getting the windows tinted. Then it's engine mod time after I get money put away. I think just upgrading to composite pad might help.

Good deal and congrats! Note that I've had my car for almost 4 years, 33K miles and have never had a peep out of the stock pads. Other pads (like ds2500) are better in many ways but if noise is your issue, you can probably fix that with the anti-squeal for $10ish.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

this is porsche’s answer to that. whenever i get a little noise, ill go on the freeway when its clear and do a couple high speed emergency stops. 100-120mph slam on the brakes as hard as you can until it slows to maybe 30-40 mph. usually works and stops making noise after that.
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 04:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

totally normal, and anecdotally I've never had performance brakes that don't squeal. your owner's manual even talks about it, as well as the marketing videos porsche posts as in the previous post.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:07 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

nôrməl
Old 06-10-2021, 05:24 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeL31

this is porsche’s answer to that. whenever i get a little noise, ill go on the freeway when its clear and do a couple high speed emergency stops. 100-120mph slam on the brakes as hard as you can until it slows to maybe 30-40 mph. usually works and stops making noise after that.
The video and Mike have it: the squeal will go away with some harder use. If the car is mostly cruising in traffic with light brake use the noise will get worse and worse. The brakes need some heat and wear to smooth things out. You don't have to break any local laws... but some spirited driving and hard braking will help.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Perhaps that is why mine does not squeal even a little; I drive it like its supposed to be driven? I like it.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

A couple hard slow downs from whatever speed you’re comfortable with to 20 mph will probably be all that’s needed.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:02 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

agree with others here regarding stomping on brakes hard a couple times. use mine as a daily driver so it spends a lot of time around town/in traffic. have gotten the squeal's a few times and 2-3 hard stomps takes care of it.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:10 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

15k on the stock pads and just a very rare hint of squeal.

When washing the car, the brakes get a good hosing, hard enough pressure to rinse away the loose brake dust. This may or may not help.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:38 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Perhaps that is why mine does not squeal even a little; I drive it like its supposed to be driven? I like it.
Some of us don't live on a race track

Quick Reply: 2018 4s brake squeal.