Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California smog test - # miles post reset?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 01:29 AM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
I do not believe that is correct, but it may be specific to certain ECUs. If you clear codes related to the engine ECU, I am fairly certain it will reset all the monitors... at least that has been the case on virtually every car I have dealt with.
On second thought, you're right. I could have sworn I've cleared codes and then smogged, but logically the purpose of the readiness is probably to prevent clearing codes right before smog and passing before new codes are thrown. So, ignore what I said.

I did do the specific procedure to reset readiness once (on an Audi) – I ended up driving on the freeway in the right lane with my hazards on going 50mph for a while plus a number of other annoying things. It was super stressful.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:56 PM
na4life
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Good luck getting all the monitors to set on a 991.1 GTS. I tried all the procedures from these threads and none of them worked. But my local p-car dealer was able to do it in under a day. I think they use something in PIWIS to trigger a diagnostic so you can get the EGR monitor to set.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:31 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I can't get the o2 sensor to set on my 991.1. I've done multiple drive cycles from porsche to bmw, still no luck. I need to figure out what to set on a PIWIS to force a the short test/diagnostic so i can get the o2 sensor to set.

Do you have any ideas what the dealer did? Or how much they charged?

Originally Posted by na4life
Good luck getting all the monitors to set on a 991.1 GTS. I tried all the procedures from these threads and none of them worked. But my local p-car dealer was able to do it in under a day. I think they use something in PIWIS to trigger a diagnostic so you can get the EGR monitor to set.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:58 PM
na4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by yoda888
I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I can't get the o2 sensor to set on my 991.1. I've done multiple drive cycles from porsche to bmw, still no luck. I need to figure out what to set on a PIWIS to force a the short test/diagnostic so i can get the o2 sensor to set.

Do you have any ideas what the dealer did? Or how much they charged?
they wouldn’t tell me unfortunately. But any official Porsche dealer should be able to do it. I’m 99% sure it’s something in PIWIS because they only drove it 5 miles and I tried driving over 600 miles doing the various drive cycles people keep recommending. Including 100+ miles at a near constant speed not exceeding certain RPMs. It cost me $150 and they got it done in under a day.

TBH just pay to have it done… it’s not worth the hassle.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:56 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

they wouldn’t tell me unfortunately. But any official Porsche dealer should be able to do it. I’m 99% sure it’s something in PIWIS because they only drove it 5 miles and I tried driving over 600 miles doing the various drive cycles people keep recommending. Including 100+ miles at a near constant speed not exceeding certain RPMs. It cost me $150 and they got it done in under a day.

TBH just pay to have it done… it’s not worth the hassle.
If my local dealer could do this for $150, I'd be all over it. The problem is the quote I got was "starts at $250 and can go over $500, we don't know until we have your car..." Seems to me that plugging in a computer and driving your car 3-5 miles for anything over $200 is a bit excessive. Getting a bill for $500+ is a bit nutty as there's not a lot of work involved -- eg, they don't need to put the car on a lift or take anything apart.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:07 AM
na4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by yoda888
If my local dealer could do this for $150, I'd be all over it. The problem is the quote I got was "starts at $250 and can go over $500, we don't know until we have your car..." Seems to me that plugging in a computer and driving your car 3-5 miles for anything over $200 is a bit excessive. Getting a bill for $500+ is a bit nutty as there's not a lot of work involved -- eg, they don't need to put the car on a lift or take anything apart.
By any chance is there another dealer you can call? I’d give the service department there a call and if they actually know how to do it they’ll quote you <$200. You can have them communicate the procedure to your local service dept.

FWIW I know sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR can do it.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:30 AM
sfo_pete
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So here's how the story ends...local Porsche dealer fixed the evaporative leak, p/n 991-606-621-05, Pressure switch Pump Diagnostic. Labor $225, part $249. Total $474, cost picked up by dealer who sold the car, all handled by the two dealers. Nice. I gave up on doing the smog drive cycle myself and the local dealer got the car to pass, took an extra day to get one of the sensors to pass by sitting over night. They also interestingly enough can't test on site and need to takeit to another shop. Cost $225, and worth it.

Thanks for all the help on this Rennlisters!

Peter

​​​​​​​
Old 06-27-2021, 02:47 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

New member here, I am a California resident thinking about buying a car out of state from a private party. I am trying to comprehend what's going on in this thread but I am a little lost. Could you please explain what the process for registering an out of state car is? My understanding is as follows:

1) Complete the bill of sale, get the signed title from the seller and drive the car back to Cali.
2) Buyer has 20 days to go to DMV and pray to get out within 2 hours (or go to AAA office)
3) Buyer pays DMV sales tax, registration fees and gets a new title

Where does the smog testing and mileage/odometer issue come into play?

Last edited by spintype; 06-27-2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:52 AM
na4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by spintype
New member here, I am a California resident thinking about buying a car out of state from a private party. I am trying to comprehend what's going on in this thread but I am a little lost. Could you please explain what the process for registering an out of state car is?
you just need the car smog tested in CA and to pay registration (and the title).

problem is the smog test requires all the engine’s emissions monitors to be in the “ready” state. That takes a fair amount of driving and in particular ways (and certain number of cold starts) to set all of them after the battery is drained. Since it’s common for cars to sit a while and eventually need a jump before being sold it’s likely your car won’t have all these monitors set once you get it.

Most of these are set easily with normal driving for a week or two but the EGR/VVT (exhaust gas recovery/variable valve timing) monitor (the 991.1 doesn’t have EGR but the monitor is for VVT I think) rarely seems to set even after extensive driving. In this case only a Porsche dealer seems to know how to get it to “set” but for a modest fee ($120 or so).
Old 06-27-2021, 03:02 AM
spintype
Advanced

you just need the car smog tested in CA and to pay registration (and the title).

problem is the smog test requires all the engine’s emissions monitors to be in the “ready” state. That takes a fair amount of driving and in particular ways (and certain number of cold starts) to set all of them after the battery is drained. Since it’s common for cars to sit a while and eventually need a jump before being sold it’s likely your car won’t have all these monitors set once you get it.

Most of these are set easily with normal driving for a week or two but the EGR/VVT (exhaust gas recovery/variable valve timing) monitor (the 991.1 doesn’t have EGR but the monitor is for VVT I think) rarely seems to set even after extensive driving. In this case only a Porsche dealer seems to know how to get it to “set” but for a modest fee ($120 or so).
I had no idea that California 991s are different than when they are sold in other states?

The car I am interested in was first sold in California, then sold to someone who took it another state and if buy it, I would be bringing it back to Cali. I presume it should have all these monitors "set"? I am really not following and thoroughly confused. My mental model is that all cars sold in USA are set to particular standards. Also, I plan to drive the car back to California (some 1000 miles) - wouldn't that set everything and get it ready for smog test?
Old 06-27-2021, 03:06 AM
na4life
Instructor

I had no idea that California 991s are different than when they are sold in other states?

The car I am interested in was first sold in California and I presume it should have all these monitors "set"? I am really not following and thoroughly confused. My mental model is that all cars sold in USA are set to particular standards. Also, I plan to drive the car back to California (some 1000 miles) - wouldn't that set everything and get it ready for smog test?
If the car was first sold in CA then you might not have to smog test it depending on its age (you get an exemption). Otherwise ANY car being imported in CA requires smog testing. Some 991.1’s are right on the cutoff for age (I think 2013). But basically yeah you need to smog test the car in CA in most cases even if it was designed to meet EPA standards. It’s nothing unique about the car being originally from California It’s just something that’s fairly unique to CA (it’s a nanny state after all).

the smog check tests for all these emissions monitors being set

no, driving 1000 miles doesn’t always set all the monitors. If you actually read through the thread you’ll see many of us drove it quite a bit but still weren’t able to set all the emissions monitors. There are specific drive cycles that need to happen and these sometimes won’t happen in normal driving depending on where you live (city vs rural vs suburb). If this happens to you Porsche can set them for you.

Last edited by na4life; 06-27-2021 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:07 AM
spintype
Advanced

If the car was first sold in CA then you might not have to smog test it depending on its age. Some 991.1’s are right on the cutoff for age (I think 2013). But basically yeah you need to smog test the car in CA in most cases even if it was designed to meet EPA standards. It’s just something that’s fairly unique to CA (it’s a nanny state after all).

no, driving 1000 miles doesn’t always set all the monitors. If you actually read through the thread you’ll see many of us drove it quite a bit but still weren’t able to set all the emissions monitors. There are specific drive cycles that need to happen and these sometimes won’t happen in normal driving depending on where you live (city vs rural vs suburb). If this happens to you Porsche can set them for you.
Thanks for the info, I am reading this one as well: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1234...alifornia.html

So, the car is 2015 model. Nanny state it is, indeed.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:09 AM
na4life
Instructor

Thanks for the info, I am reading this one as well: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1234...alifornia.html

So, the car is 2015 model. Nanny state it is, indeed.
cool so you won’t need to smog it since it was smogged in CA once before and is less than 10 years old. I had to smog my 2015 because it had never been smogged in CA. You can ignore this thread
The following users liked this post:
spintype (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 03:11 AM
spintype
Advanced

cool so you won’t need to smog it since it was smogged in CA once before and is less than 10 years old. I had to smog my 2015 because it had never been smogged in CA. You can ignore this thread
Although:

> Out-of-State Vehicles - The six year or four year smog check exemption is not applicable to vehicles which have been brought in from out of state and require initial registration in California. Both diesel and gasoline powered out-of-state vehicles require a smog check for initial California registration, and every two years thereafter. See exemptions below.

https://www.smogtips.com/need_inspection.cfm
Old 06-27-2021, 03:13 AM
na4life
Instructor

Although:

> Out-of-State Vehicles - The six year or four year smog check exemption is not applicable to vehicles which have been brought in from out of state and require initial registration in California. Both diesel and gasoline powered out-of-state vehicles require a smog check for initial California registration, and every two years thereafter. See exemptions below.

https://www.smogtips.com/need_inspection.cfm
read that again: “…require initial registration”. The car was already sold and registered in CA before right? This doesn’t apply.

this is for people that bought the car out of state and are registering it for the first time in CA.

Quick Reply: California smog test - # miles post reset?