Sponsored by:

Leaving well enough alone...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 12:12 PM
wearegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
dont want to derail your thread, but could you comment on how you produced these pictures? Phone camera or DSLR? Do you post process them? They are spectacular. Any special tricks on the camera or computer that others could use?
All these were shot with a Sony A7R4 dslr with an 85mm lens @1.8F - 4.0F

The area i shot isn’t too far from home so I’ll head out towards the end of the day when the sun is low to avoid harsh light. I’m noticing with this color, when I am under stronger light the metallic really has a nice reflection. I’ll need a polarizing lens to help with that.

Post isn’t too much nowadays. I used to painstaking adjust in photoshop, but now I’ll just use lightroom, adjust the white balance, exposure, shadows and highlights. If i’m feeling fancy, i’ll adjust curves slightly since dark wheels will need to get lifted. Hopefully that makes sense.

Definitely pay attention to your surroundings, the reflections**, and utilize as much natural light as possible. I’m feeling amateur at best with the other photography out there but it’s enjoyable nonetheless to document my own projects/builds.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 12:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Anthracite Brown is gorgeous. And totally unexpected, particularly on an aggressive car. I mulled ordering ABM as PTS on my 991.2, but paying PTS $ for a standard metallic from the 991.1 moved me a different way. These pics are going to nag at me, however, as your car is beautiful.

As others say, to each their own—but I've loved cars like this one since I was a kid. As much as I've come to respect 100% factory cars, I'm a hot-rodder at heart…and particularly loved "mild mods" when coming up in Northern California. Right wheels, right tires, right suspension, exhaust with a bit of bite, and subtle details like European bumpers & lighting. If you knew, you knew. To everyone else, it was just another weird Giulia Super, 510, 2002, A1, E30, 911, Europa, E28, 914, etc etc.

So I love cars like this 991, because they add something to the landscape and show an individual's commitment & dedication. Whether intended or not, they're a statement. And put me down as a fan of the HREs, as they show careful consideration against Anthracite Brown—with their subtle mix of gloss black lips and flat black centers. Just when I think I don't like black wheels…you broke the rules. And well.
Rich_Jenkins (06-05-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 12:36 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wearegiant
All these were shot...
Thanks a lot, helpful advice. Really nice work on the pictures.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:44 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Why would anyone ever buy a color other than WHITE??
Old 06-06-2021, 01:11 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Plat silver

Everyone knows plat silver adds 10rwhp. Why would anyone buy white ?

Originally Posted by fpb111
Why would anyone ever buy a color other than WHITE??
CSK 911 C4S (06-08-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:55 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

My bias: I have never felt like I really owned a car until I did some serious work or at least a mild mod. That ranges from some subtle additions to my 991 to a complete bare metal rebuild (in progress) of my 914.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:52 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts

Welcome, great introduction, excellent photos and love the TEs.

I'm closer to the modder camp as well.

Not interested in associating with the elitist, purists or deviated stitching ADM whining owners.

Enjoy in good health.
rugu6869 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:55 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

For me, I always want to mod my car to make it my own. I never want to see another car that looks exactly or very close to mine. I want it to be completely unique!
I'm well on my way at this point. Every little thing I do makes me like it more and more.

I have zero issues if someone wants to keep their car 100% stock. They like what they like.

OP: I prefer the TE37s as well. I'm very biased as I have them on my GTI. I considered them for my 991.2, but they didn't make the correct offset.
Keep modding!
Old 06-08-2021, 09:38 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

been following you on IG. Was sad to see you sell the TE's lol

Old 06-08-2021, 09:48 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by rugu6869
For me, I always want to mod my car to make it my own. I never want to see another car that looks exactly or very close to mine. I want it to be completely unique!
I'm well on my way at this point. Every little thing I do makes me like it more and more.

I have zero issues if someone wants to keep their car 100% stock. They like what they like.

OP: I prefer the TE37s as well. I'm very biased as I have them on my GTI. I considered them for my 991.2, but they didn't make the correct offset.
Keep modding!
.I believe Augment Wheel can make just about any wheel you want ,,dia., width, offsets, etc..
Old 06-08-2021, 09:59 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
.I believe Augment Wheel can make just about any wheel you want ,,dia., width, offsets, etc..
Yes, I know there are a few that can make any design you want.

I did a full custom design for my 991.2 from Litespeed Racing. They'll be shipping out tomorrow!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:24 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanK20
I Love your car. Looks so good. I also did a GT3 bumper, to me it completely transforms the car.

This is an interesting topic. IMO “Modders” appreciate a stock 911 just as much as a modded one. But “Purist” are a bit more uptight/judgmental.

I came to the conclusion, that Modders and Purist will never truly understand one another’s preference. Because all it truly is, is preference. There is no right or wrong.

For example, if my 911 was due for new tires, I would probably try to “upgrade” for a stickier/wider tire. I know track enthusiasts and other Modders could relate. We can’t comprehend how you could need to replace something on your car, and not try to get something “better” than factory.

On the other hand I also understand why most purists would rather go out of their way to replace their stock parts with only stock parts. They don’t understand why anyone would sway from the specifications of Porsche engineers. But then again, these are also the types of people that believe you will spin out of control if you install a small trunk lip on your car.

I’ll say it again, there is no wrong or right way, It’s all solely preference. Enjoy your car.
Interesting take, but still trying to put these vague concepts of how you'd define certain "owner types"... it's so much more nuanced than that. In this sense both you and the OP are "wrong" (in my opinion, which really is what we're all here for... each other's opinions, This is fact.)

For example, I remember your car. It was 'ok' to me... I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. It looked good, but I remember specifically saying I wouldn't do it to my car.

The car in this thread just elicits an entirely different emotional response for me... and I can't completely explain why. It might simply come down to the photography- which is probably worth exploring more but first I'll also mention that it doesn't really make sense why I like this car more. From a "purist" perspective, I prefer red to brown (see avatar for validation). I've always thought Volks belong on JDM cars. I don't typically like the slammed look.

But the car in this thread HITS. I abso****inglutely LOVE it.

And yet.... I wouldn't do it to my car lololol.

See what just happened there? It doesn't make sense. That's where I think your "on-rails" concepts miss the mark. We're getting closer to the definition of "what is art" here... and I think that's the underlying "point" here, if there is one.

Art, beauty, whatever... is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:53 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Interesting take, but still trying to put these vague concepts of how you'd define certain "owner types"... it's so much more nuanced than that. In this sense both you and the OP are "wrong" (in my opinion, which really is what we're all here for... each other's opinions, This is fact.)

For example, I remember your car. It was 'ok' to me... I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. It looked good, but I remember specifically saying I wouldn't do it to my car.

The car in this thread just elicits an entirely different emotional response for me... and I can't completely explain why. It might simply come down to the photography- which is probably worth exploring more but first I'll also mention that it doesn't really make sense why I like this car more. From a "purist" perspective, I prefer red to brown (see avatar for validation). I've always thought Volks belong on JDM cars. I don't typically like the slammed look.

But the car in this thread HITS. I abso****inglutely LOVE it.

And yet.... I wouldn't do it to my car lololol.

See what just happened there? It doesn't make sense. That's where I think your "on-rails" concepts miss the mark. We're getting closer to the definition of "what is art" here... and I think that's the underlying "point" here, if there is one.

Art, beauty, whatever... is in the eye of the beholder.
Lol Well I agree that your take makes absolutely no sense. Also Art is definitely in the eye of the beholder. It’s all subjective.

Quick Reply: Leaving well enough alone...