Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving well enough alone...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 04:52 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

I prefer the Volk setup, but they both look fantastic!

Last edited by thesaintusa; 06-04-2021 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (06-09-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 04:53 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
Makes sense. He left the wing up.
Does the red 911 have active rear aero?

Needs more front end downforce.
737gdog (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 04:55 PM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
I prefer the Volk setup, but they booth look fantastic!
Agreed, I'm a sucker for a set of TEs. Just classic wheels.

Beautiful car, though.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:18 PM
gnne60
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful car! I like everything you did to it,
Old 06-04-2021, 06:27 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Loving everything you did! That color is amazing! Definitely low... I'm cringing internally as I just scuffed the crap out of my sport design lip today.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:19 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Loving everything you did! That color is amazing! Definitely low... I'm cringing internally as I just scuffed the crap out of my sport design lip today.
After the 9th or 10th time scuffing the underside of the lip, you’ll stop cringing. I know I did
Old 06-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

tldr I just came to see the photos. Nice ride.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:20 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How'd you get that license plate!? Figured that would have been long gone! Unless of course you've had it for ages...

BTW: I vote for the TEs!
Old 06-04-2021, 08:27 PM
wearegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
On topic: I am as purist as they come (I refuse to even change my orange side marker lights ) but I am glad to see stock cars, heavily modded cars, and everything in between. I think all 911s are cool, and I will notice and watch one from miles away until it fades from view. If it makes you happy, is the main thing.
I couldn't agree more with this sentiment!

Originally Posted by BlueShell
This is giving me .1 GT3 Touring vibes if they'd made one. Loving your ride.

I need to know what those side skirts are and how they are installed. And which rear diffuser is that? I'd like to do something similar.

The .1 GT3 front bumper is a nice touch. I can't imagine that being easy to install. I wish there is a decent aftermarket lip for the .1 SportDesign bumper just to give it a tad but more aggressive look since I plan to add side skirts and that same rear diffuser in the future.
So they're OEM 991 WB side skirts (went with the C4/C4S, Targa sides.. Same ones on the GTS but unpainted). I followed a post here by @polobai https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1181...rrow-body.html -- The underside, instead of drilling new screws, I used the oem plastic fasteners that came with it.

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
I like it. The current wheels provide a very complementary contrast to the exterior paint color. "Graige" is extremely "in" at the moment, if what my wife tells me from watching HGTV is true. The lowering is quite a bit by "road" standards, but does not look out of place. I would not want to run this except on more or less well-paved roads, or on speed bumps, that's for sure. The rear lip is not extensive or overdone. The badging is complimentary. I think you did a good job on this, and it looks great.
Thats for telling me this, I'll throw it in there the next time I give a description to my wife. I've overused "ombré" so its time for some new hdtv lingo

Originally Posted by rnl
I like it. then again, I partial to agate gray
Agate Gray is a beauty! I like how the colors are temperamental color depending on the light they're in. Light & metallic under the sun, dark as tar in some shade.

Originally Posted by Momentum Worx
Agreed, I'm a sucker for a set of TEs. Just classic wheels.
Beautiful car, though.
TBH I'm quite surprised at all the love for JDM wheels on here. I've always love TE37s, have had a set for almost every car I've owned, and I couldnt stop here. Cheers.

Originally Posted by enzotcat
After the 9th or 10th time scuffing the underside of the lip, you’ll stop cringing. I know I did
Facts. Or when your alignment guy pulls out of the driveway and does a good scraping, you're just numb at that point.... Good thing the lip i have is a "wear and tear" item.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:28 PM
wearegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
How'd you get that license plate!? Figured that would have been long gone! Unless of course you've had it for ages...
BTW: I vote for the TEs!
Department of Photoshop.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:56 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Well, if it was only the bottom, it wouldn't have been so bad...😔
Old 06-04-2021, 08:59 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

The stance is spot on! Both wheels look great. I like it.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:02 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 116 Posts

I Love your car. Looks so good. I also did a GT3 bumper, to me it completely transforms the car.

This is an interesting topic. IMO “Modders” appreciate a stock 911 just as much as a modded one. But “Purist” are a bit more uptight/judgmental.

I came to the conclusion, that Modders and Purist will never truly understand one another’s preference. Because all it truly is, is preference. There is no right or wrong.

For example, if my 911 was due for new tires, I would probably try to “upgrade” for a stickier/wider tire. I know track enthusiasts and other Modders could relate. We can’t comprehend how you could need to replace something on your car, and not try to get something “better” than factory.

On the other hand I also understand why most purists would rather go out of their way to replace their stock parts with only stock parts. They don’t understand why anyone would sway from the specifications of Porsche engineers. But then again, these are also the types of people that believe you will spin out of control if you install a small trunk lip on your car.

I’ll say it again, there is no wrong or right way, It’s all solely preference. Enjoy your car.

The following 4 users liked this post by JuanK20:
gc88 (06-09-2021), gnne60 (06-09-2021), NJ991 (06-04-2021), wearegiant (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 11:37 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

To each their own. It's your car, you own it. You like it, you mod it the way you want. I mean who really cares what others think? Did they pay for part of your car? If you have to get some sort of "good job" from others for a change, then you probably didn't like that change all that much in the first place.
wearegiant (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 08:38 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wearegiant
There's no question about it, this is a heavily debated topic here on the boards as its still happening in countless threads as I type this. There seems to be 3 groups of owners here on the boards that we can all describe with different words whether it be purist, modders, track enthusiasts, etc... All of which there are varying degrees.

I've come across many threads where owners introduce themselves into the ecosystem coming from other vehicles that they've lived and breathed for many years and that influence has carried over in their desire to mod their Porsche vehicles. Some show restraint, others showcase a willingness to tinker or to be different for sake of being different. Many are laser focused to hit an apex through different bushing compounds, stiffer control arms, you name it. Others are asking, "Why do you think you're a better engineer than those are Porsche?"

I've spoken to countless folks I've crossed paths with, and all of us share varying views as well. "Why would you change the suspension on that?" "Why didn't you just buy a GT(fill in the blank)?" "That rides great, that is amazing. How much did you end up spending? So why didnt you just buy a ....?"

See the theme here? Because of the varying offers of Porsche, it all ends on "Why didn't you just buy a...." As strong-minded as one can be, I feel the constant nagging question in the back of my mind even when its not being asked. I know why I didnt buy that... Because if I did, I might have to find the next level of mods to tinker, push & build. Its a revolving door... OR... Would we mod less by reason of "Its really great as is!"

I guess this is more of me just putting down my thoughts and seeing who else feels the same, differently etc. At the end of the day, when do mods ever end for someone like us? When can we begin to leave well enough alone, because... They really truly are beautiful and built with precision from the start. You really want to do nothing but improve the handling & control or at least preserving it while having some sort of individuality.

Would we all do things differently if we started over? Probably, however, life is short, if it brings you joy without shorting you out of anything else, why the hell not? (more self-justification here). Anyway, this is a public internet forum. If we posted not to be judged by varying opinions, we're in the wrong place.

Thanks for reading. Here's some photos of my 991 S... Some more detailed progress on the build soon.

IG: @derrick_taco991

Current wheel & tires

dont want to derail your thread, but could you comment on how you produced these pictures? Phone camera or DSLR? Do you post process them? They are spectacular. Any special tricks on the camera or computer that others could use?
Rich_Jenkins (06-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Leaving well enough alone...