Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode without the pops and crackles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 03:55 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Good info thanks.

No, I am not the original owner. The car was leased (as far as I can tell from the Carfax) to the first owner in NY until June 2019, when I bought it at Porsche South Shore in Freeport NY. I have the service history from Carfax, but that's it. Mods that I was informed about/noticed at the time of sale included base calipers powder coated red (I would not do this, but it came that way, and I kinda like it now) and all the badging was deleted off the rear deck. I had my local dealer add the badging back, because I like the OEM look.

I suppose it's possible the car has a tune, but being a CPO, and maintained at that same dealer...I dunno?

(Amusing anectote: A few cars ago, when I bought my used E92 M3 from the dealer in Indianapolis IN, I got home to discover a $1,200 DINAN receipt in the sheaf of paperwork they gave me with the car. It turned out the car had a tune that bumped the HP a bit, which I thought was kinda a cool discovery. I took it to my local BMW dealer at the time in Roswell GA, and they told me the car had a paid-for maintenance plan through BMW that was still valid as well. Apparently the selling dealer had no idea lol.)
Entirely possible the dealer is unaware of anything with your car. Similar situation with my e39 M5, lol. Hell, the dealer I bought my 991 at had no clue there was an active CPO policy on the car, and actually sold it as a non-CPO. Could've turned around and sold it for a $10k profit on the spot before this last year happened, now it's something insane like $20k!

Perhaps it's worth calling up APR (and whoever their main competitor is, I can't remember) and giving them your VIN, see if they have anything registered as done to your car?

Aside from the fun of exploration through your car's history, you're not actually missing out on much. The afterfiring is laughably synthetic -- there's no reason a car with a good tune should be crapping out as much fuel as it implies it is what with the excessive crackling in second gear at 2800 rpm.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Wanna trade PSE for your S? I hate almost everything about the PSE setup on mine

half joking, shipping/logistics would be a nightmare. edit - also you're .1, I'm .2, derp.
no way would i ever give up the "S". it was a must have/deal breaker the entire time looking. wouldn't even consider a none S. would have rather had an S with PSE though. not a fan of the added "noise" but do love the sound of the setup otherwise. seems my entire life has been a compromise of some sort. i'm use to it =)

Quick Reply: Sport mode without the pops and crackles?